Popular Tags: [View All]
Arek D.
Germany
Münster
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for some clarifications regarding the following situation:

I'm playing Yu Quan, an english captain, and I'm a pirate by now, having a dutch and a spanish bounty on my head.
It's a three players game, and I'm the last one before a new turn begins.

Now, I ended my last action in the Sea-Zone of Old Providence. At the end of the turn, an english frigate moved into the same sea-zone because of the event card drawn at the beginning of that turn.
Now, in the next round, when I start my turn, said frigate is scouting for me, as I am a pirate (and there are no other pirates close), but they don't spot me. Fine with me, as I don't want any trouble with my own nation, so I'm moving to port with my first action.
My second action is to conduct some port actions, like repairing, hiring crew, and so on...
With my third action, I decide to leave port again, so I move into Old Providence's sea-zone again.
Now my question is: Does this mean the english frigate is scouting for me again, or doesn't she (because technically, I never left the same sea-zone this round)?

We decided she may scout for me a second time, and this time, she got lucky and spotted my galleon.
Which brings me to my second question: If I fight the battle and win, do I get an english bounty then? I guess so, but I didn't find anything in the rules regarding this situation... Don't forget, as the saying goes: Dead men tell no tales, so it's not that evident!
And what if I successfully flee that battle? Do I still get an english bounty on my head (because technically I was engaged in a battle with an english naval ship anyways)?

Now, my last question, totally unrelated to the situation described above, regarding a Glory Card. As I own the german version of this game, I'm not quite sure what it's english title is, the german one is 'Leichte Beute', loosly translated 'easy prey', or maybe 'easy pickings'...
Does this card mean I win the merchant raid automatically ('Der Anblick Deiner Totenkopfflagge alleine reicht vielleicht aus, dass er sich ergibt') and additionally roll some dice to see if I can ignore some hits, or do I just get to roll those dice, but the merchant might still be able to flee if he's got enough flight symbols?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quoting the English rules here...
pg13 wrote:
Hostile NPCs will “scout” for a target player immediately if one of the following occurs:
1) The Player moves into the Sea-Zone of a hostile NPC (including moving from port out to sea).
2) The Player starts his turn at sea in the same Sea-Zone as a hostile NPC.

So yes, you were correct to Scout a second time when you moved out of port into the Sea-Zone.

Quote:
You get a Bounty immediately after:
1) Starting combat with a non-pirate ship (This includes Merchant Raids)
2) Defeating a Naval ship (Sinking it or winning Crew Combat)

So you'd only get the bounty if you won, since you didn't start the battle yourself. Fleeing wouldn't get you a bounty.

The "Easy Prey" Glory Card doesn't give you an auto-win. You are just allowed to ignore some hits, so the merchant may indeed be able to flee with enough escape symbols.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arek D.
Germany
Münster
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
soosy wrote:
Quote:
You get a Bounty immediately after:
1) Starting combat with a non-pirate ship (This includes Merchant Raids)
2) Defeating a Naval ship (Sinking it or winning Crew Combat)

So you'd only get the bounty if you won, since you didn't start the battle yourself. Fleeing wouldn't get you a bounty.

Ah yes, we finally found that example in the rules, but we were still split over the question whether it mattered who started the fight. Thanks for clearing that up!

soosy wrote:

The "Easy Prey" Glory Card doesn't give you an auto-win. You are just allowed to ignore some hits, so the merchant may indeed be able to flee with enough escape symbols.

Yes, that makes perfect sense, we thought so as well. Otherwise, that card would've felt a bit too powerful...
Again, thanks for your quick and well-explained reply!

Edit: spelling....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Morcars Jester wrote:
Ah yes, we finally found that example in the rules, but we were still split over the question if it mattered who started the fight. Thanks for clearing that up!

It matters a great deal. If you defeat an NPC naval ship, you'll get only 1 bounty if it attacked you, but 2 if you were the attacker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arek D.
Germany
Münster
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I should've mentioned that it was my wife who pressed the point that I should get the bounty even though I didn't start that battle (and finally even fled, I might add)!
Might have something to do with my earlier sinking of her flute...?whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Jorgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
Sphere wrote:
Morcars Jester wrote:
Ah yes, we finally found that example in the rules, but we were still split over the question if it mattered who started the fight. Thanks for clearing that up!

It matters a great deal. If you defeat an NPC naval ship, you'll get only 1 bounty if it attacked you, but 2 if you were the attacker.

Just to clarify. You'll get 1 bounty just for attacking, even if you then later flee the battle. If instead you defeat the ship you'll get 1 bounty more (you don't first get both bounties if you win, as the above might be read).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arek D.
Germany
Münster
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Randor20 wrote:
Just to clarify. You'll get 1 bounty just for attacking, even if you then later flee the battle. If instead you defeat the ship you'll get 1 bounty more (you don't first get both bounties if you win, as the above might be read).

Thank you, that's perfectly clear now!
So, given my example above, I shouldn't have gotten any english bounty, since it wasn't me who started the battle and because I also fled from the fight!
For some reason, we were simply missing the example in the rules that soosy was pointing to (some sort of organizational blindness, I guess).
Next time, I'll make sure to read the manual more thoroughly before posting a question here, I promise!
Anyways, it was most helpful to get it all explained and confirmed by someone from the sideline, so thanks again to you all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find that strange, "An NPC can scout for the same ship twice in the same turn", but we cannot do that.
I am in this position now. Does not seem fair.

1. I was scouted by NPC, missed, then I enter port.
2. Port.... 3. Move out to Sea. 2b. NPC scouted me a second time.

That's correct yes?

Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Jorgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mrmer1in wrote:
I find that strange, "An NPC can scout for the same ship twice in the same turn", but we cannot do that.

That's correct yes?

Thank you

That is correct.

And if the NPC did not find you the second time (or the battle you had ended in a draw), then the NPC will scout for you again at the start of the next turn. So probably not the smartest thing to move into port - better that you go somewhere else just now . After all you knew all this before entering the port, so not really "unfair". The NPC's are exactly there to force players into moves that might not be the very best ones.

Or when you get a big ship, you can use this to your advantage, if you are looking for a fight. This way you don't have to spend an action or two scouting for the NPC.

The rule about players not being able to scout for the same thing is just to keep the game dynamic - forcing pirates to move around more and not go for the same token three times in a turn. Also it makes it a bit harder to get PvP combat.

Try not to see the NPC's as "other players" - they go by different rules in lots of other areas besides scouting (moving, special weapons, ship mods., repairs, fleeing in combat and plunder value are the ones I can think of just now).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrmer1in wrote:

Boo frikkity hoo! laugh Life isn't fair, especially on the high seas.

It's probably considered a balancing mechanism...

mrmer1in wrote:

That's correct yes?

Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.