Subject: so whats the verdict? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randall Barnes
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So to the people that played at Gencon, does this live up to the original? Does the new trace mechanic feel ok? Do the factions feel different? Does it feel balanced? Are there interesting deck types so far?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah D

Arlington
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
swingjunkie wrote:
So to the people that played at Gencon, does this live up to the original? Does the new trace mechanic feel ok? Do the factions feel different? Does it feel balanced? Are there interesting deck types so far?

thumbsup Inquiring minds want to know
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jackman
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up two copies at gencon, and played maybe a dozen matches. Note that I have not played the original netrunner.

Personally? I love it. The rules were a bit of a bear at first, but the more I play it, the more smooth everything feels.

As far as the trace mechanics - they seem to work fine, but I have no context as to how they used to work. I will say that one of the weaker runner neutral cards just gives you +1 net strength and seems largely useless. Besides that, all of the cards seem to have their niches, and nothing seems particularly broken.

The 7 different starter decks do seem fairly well varied, the corps especially. Once I got back from gencon I did do a bit of actual deck building, but have not played since. Playing Jenteki is almost like playing a different game than playing HB or Weylend.

I havent had much luck with HB - I think i see how it is supposed to work, but just never has come together for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Imboden
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Does this live up to the original? Does the new trace mechanic feel ok? Do the factions feel different? Does it feel balanced? Are there interesting deck types so far?

Yes, yes, yes, and yes.

Each faction is its own animal right now with its own strengths and weaknesses, so each player feels the asymmetry even more than before, but you ask 100 runners how to counteract that weakness and I'ma say you'll find 99 answers. There's plenty to experience straight out of the box -- and I don't want to ruin it for you. In fact, in a perfect world, I'd ignore most of the comments in the Strategy section. You'll find the solution that works best for your style. I have won with each Runner identity. You'll find your favorites.

It's really worth the wait not to spoil yourself, especially if you've never played before. Go with the pre-designed decks at first and tweak to taste.

In my opinion, every change FFG made was for the better. Every change either streamlines play for clarity or forces the cat-and-mouse aspects closer to the surface. I don't regret this purchase for one hot second.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to hear the positive opinions. I played the original and while I enjoyed it, I didn't think it was the masterpiece that a lot of others seem to think it was.

I am very curious about this reboot and I'll likely give it a try once it's generally available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Hamm
United States
Huxley
Iowa
flag msg tools
See this text? It's a gratuitous waste of GeekGold.
badge
The game itself isn't important. Spending time intellectually jousting with likeminded folks is the real reason to game.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's fantastic. I cannot WAIT until core sets are widely available. I'm going to do everything I can to get a local community going for this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CD Harris
United States
Louisville
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Saan wrote:
As far as the trace mechanics - they seem to work fine, but I have no context as to how they used to work. I will say that one of the weaker runner neutral cards just gives you +1 net strength and seems largely useless. Besides that, all of the cards seem to have their niches, and nothing seems particularly broken.

It's not useless. It costs 1 and is effectively worth 1 bit on every Trace, at a minimum forcing the Corp to spend 1 more to ensure a tag on every Trace. That will affect even NBN over time. Kate doesn't need it because she gets 1 base link to start and can have a total of 4 in one action if she draws into Rabbit Hole with 5 credits available, but for the others it's a solid investment.

As a longtime player of the original, which I loved, I was a tad wary of the revamped Trace mechanics when I read the initial explanatory article. The hidden bidding seemed so central to the whole idea. But now that I've played with them, I like them fine. They play smoothly and the bluffing element is still there, it just has a different feel to it. Also, the Trace/Link mechanic was a bit clunky in the original so a lot of the time it just didn't get used the way it could have been. I think the streamlining of the whole concept here will make it a much more common part of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone in another thread said that the Criminal Faction has a different take on 'Access to Globalsec' (the 1 cost +1 link generic card).

Consider what happens if you view it this way:
1 Recurring Credit, refresh at the start of any trace attempt, usable only to increase the Runner's Link during this Trace attempt.

Now you can spend 1 Credit to boost your link one time... or you can spend 1 Credit to get what is essentially a reusable credit for every trace attempt.

As I see tracing - if the Runner's base Link value is higher than the Corp's base Trace value, then the Corp has to spend money in order to make that subroutine worthwhile. If your cost to break the subroutine is, say '3', then that's 3 Credits you don't need to spend and can instead spend on the Link, costing the Corp the same amount. If they don't bother... you don't bother and it's money in the bank.

I wrote an article about it here: Establishing a new Base Link. I haven't updated it with the links provided from the various Consoles, but I don't think anything else affects that part of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.