United States
Mazomanie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear Privateer Press,

Despite the fact you effectively killed my favorite game, had zero Monsterpocalypse presence at GenCon 2012, and some of your staff isn't even aware the game exists, I nonetheless am willing to forgive you if you release Series 6 by End of Year 2013.

Sincerely,
Your Biggest Fans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You know its a bad sign when the staff forget they even made the game...

Had that with White Wolf once where con staff didnt even know they had two CCGs out... ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Lee
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Monster what? Oh..oh yea, that game. They totally destroyed a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
United States
Mount Dora
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Privateer Press Employee: "But, but, there is going to be a movie!"

Rest of us: "Right now it looks like the title is: 'Vaporware'"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Morris
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I look at other products out there that have had movie treatments and the success or failure of the movies not withstanding it didn't effect the actual product the way this mythical movie has.

If this is the actual agreement for the movie production this is the dumbest business decision ever. Why would you stop producing a product line because you agreed to provide IP for a movie? Sorry movies die at the script level all the time, and this one doesn't look to be any different.

From http://mechagodzillajunior.blogspot.ca/2012/06/monsterpocaly...:
Quote:
Nothing much in the way of updates has been forthcoming since 2010, and on his screenwriting website, John August hasn't mentioned working on the project since October 2011. So today I decided to go to the source, and sent a couple of tweets his way:

@johnaugust It looks like you haven't mentioned Monsterpocalypse since October. Is it still a thing, and if so, are you still involved? Thx.

Really looking forward to Pacific Rim from Guillermo del Toro, but the world still needs Monsterpocalypse from Tim Burton and @JohnAugust!

To which Mr. August replied:

@roadkillbuddha Your second tweet explains why the object of your first tweet hasn't progressed.

I took that to mean:

@johnaugust So progress on one will depend on the box office success of the other? I'm hoping for a kaiju movie renaissance! Thanks again!

And he didn't correct me, so I'm assuming that if Pacific Rim makes a lot money, Dreamworks will get Monsterpocalypse moving again.

My read on this is that Monsterpoc is dead, enjoy the figures you have there won't be any more.

(I'll be happy to be wrong here...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
All this for a movie that will share the title - and thats about it - with the game its based on...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Lee
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I wonder if Privateer Press made a lot of money on giving up their rights. If so, it could've still have been a smart move for them. Otherwise, sucks for everyone. This game was doing well, and for them to drop the ball on it really leaves a bad impression on the company. \

Oh well, I still like the game and I like the miniatures so I'm trying to pick up stuff that I don't have for cheap. At least one good thing out of it is that I've been able to pick up so much stuff for really cheap. To think that if the movie ever came out, this stuff would be worth a lot again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Or worse yet. We may see a maneuver that other movie companies have pulled with IP. That is to put out a slap-dash movie thats never intended for actual release, just to hang onto the IP or to appease the contract.

Really hope that doesnt become the case.

But I agree that Privateers handling of this has severely damaged their reputation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PP probably only sold an option to the rights. After how poorly Battleship did in the theater, no studio is going to release a game based on a board game especially one that has been defunct for a year or more.
As I said a long time ago, PP should have licensed a kid's show. Either a cartoon or live action like Ultraman/Power Rangers. To think they actually believed that Tim Burton was going to direct a movie based on their little collectible game. Why Monsterpocalypse before Magic the Gathering?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ralpher wrote:
PP probably only sold an option to the rights. After how poorly Battleship did in the theater, no studio is going to release a game based on a board game especially one that has been defunct for a year or more.
As I said a long time ago, PP should have licensed a kid's show. Either a cartoon or live action like Ultraman/Power Rangers. To think they actually believed that Tim Burton was going to direct a movie based on their little collectible game. Why Monsterpocalypse before Magic the Gathering?

How little ye know.
Hasbro is as of last check still moving forward with its game to movie deals. They just moved them away from the Paramont deal. Though I have not checked on the statuses of the various movies that were announced. Of them so far only the Battleship and GI Joe movie are completed. The GI Joe sequel is done after a few fixes. Most are hoping the Chutes n Ladders movie with Adam Sandler is killed DOA. The rest. Who knows.

As for why no Magic movie or animated? Its never really needed one. And the backstories may be too broad to ever really make anything viable from. And lastly. A movie would surely be a botch and irk more players than it attracts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"Every Board Game I Reach Is Dead"
United Kingdom
Scarborough
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Love your kind requesting man but the Monsterpocalypse is over- the humans of PP won when they quit in a year or two ago. Worst for me is I wanted to get the Tritons faction, but with the game all but offically declared dead (they've discontinued set 5) all the minis I wanted have either gone from every seller or shot up in price!

Anyone got the Tritons from sets 4 and 5 that they don't want? Because I'd take 'em. soblue goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin duda
United States
fremont
California
flag msg tools
I have a few invaders units left over. PM me if you want a list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:
ralpher wrote:

How little ye know.
Hasbro is as of last check still moving forward with its game to movie deals. They just moved them away from the Paramont deal. Though I have not checked on the statuses of the various movies that were announced. Of them so far only the Battleship and GI Joe movie are completed. The GI Joe sequel is done after a few fixes. Most are hoping the Chutes n Ladders movie with Adam Sandler is killed DOA. The rest. Who knows.

As for why no Magic movie or animated? Its never really needed one. And the backstories may be too broad to ever really make anything viable from. And lastly. A movie would surely be a botch and irk more players than it attracts.

GI Joe and Transformers are known as toys, not boardgames. If there is a Chutes and Ladders movie, then definitely put Monsterpocalypse in the grave.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Clue, Monopoly, Candyland, & Ouija on the board side. Micronauts & Stretch Armstrong on the action figure side.
Battleship, Transformers & GI Joe are so far the only ones from the list that have seen completion. Ouija and Monopoly are still determined to see completion it seems. And people are wishing Candyland never ever does with the current people its in the hands of.

Probably others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fitzgerald
United States
Mazomanie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear Privateer Press,

I have recently become aware of your new game Level 7 [Escape]. I have interest in it and will be quite thrilled to pick it up as soon as Series 6 for Monsterpocalypse is released. Until then, beat sand.

Sincerely,
Justin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Monsterpocalypse now listed as a ???? release date on IMDB.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
IMDb is notoriously bad for false movie entries and "we posted an entry because someone was *discussing* making a movie about this!!!" Micronauts is in the same boat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Petterson
United States
Gulfport
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a Movie called Pacific Rim by Director DEl Toro. It will feature Giant piloted Robots against Monsters, kinda sounds like Monpoc to me. I heard about it on some feature of the last LA Comicon.
K

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin duda
United States
fremont
California
flag msg tools
Omega2064 wrote:
Clue, Monopoly, Candyland, & Ouija on the board side. Micronauts & Stretch Armstrong on the action figure side.
Battleship, Transformers & GI Joe are so far the only ones from the list that have seen completion. Ouija and Monopoly are still determined to see completion it seems. And people are wishing Candyland never ever does with the current people its in the hands of.

Probably others.

Yeah, there's no Clue movie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jugglervr wrote:
Omega2064 wrote:

Probably others.

Yeah, there's no NEW Clue movie. ;)

Fixed that for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.