Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Digren K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been looking through possible trades for matches, but some of the games I have to trade - and some I want - are larger and heavier. I'm not sure I want to pay for shipping on either side. All things equal, I'd rather trade with someone who will attend BGG.con, since we can do the exchange in person. (Obviously this works best for the other person if they'll drive as I will, but maybe they're flying Southwest or have airline status and thus free bags.)

I wish there was a way to identify those who will attend BGG Con so I can tell when looking through trade lists.

------

My thoughts:
Option 1) Create a microbadge for "Planning to attend BGG Con This Year". People who plan to attend can buy and wear this microbadge, and if I see it I'll know to favor them for heavy game trades. Plus I'll know they'll be at BGG con and could schedule games, etc! =p Win for all!

The only problem with option 1 is that it requires people to actively come up with 8 geek gold (something some of us don't have right now), plus remember to set it as one of their visible microbadges.

Option 2) Give people a microbadge when they register for BGG Con. Incorporate it into the registration process, including an option for people to display it right away, and then more people will do so.

This is better from a user's standpoint but puts work on the BGG staff. It also won't work until next year since lots of people are already registered.

Option 3) Give people who register for BGG Con some other way to indicate such on their avatar, besides a microbadge. This is even more work for BGG staff, with little reward.

-------

Of the three, option 1 is the easiest to start, but hardest to spread. Someone with a bit of artistic talent just needs to make the microbadge. Any other ideas or options?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Is there something wrong with the annual BGG.con math trade? Seems that covers several of these bases, and gives you much larger options of stuff to trade and stuff to trade for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Re: A Way to Identify People Who Will Attend 2012 BGG.con? in the kitchen?
'moi' could IDENTIFY them A-L-L by the 2 "elegant expedients" of these having never been within MY 'kitchen'!; and, NOR: have their GAMES! shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Parker
United States
Aggieland
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
You're only young once...but you can be immature the rest of your life!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:
'moi' could IDENTIFY them A-L-L by the 2 "elegant expedients" of these having never been within MY 'kitchen'!; and, NOR: have their GAMES! shake

WHAT??? Nevermind...here, have another !!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Digren K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skelebone wrote:
Is there something wrong with the annual BGG.con math trade? Seems that covers several of these bases, and gives you much larger options of stuff to trade and stuff to trade for.

Lots and lots and lots and lots of people don't math trade. I'll participate again, sure, but if I see someone with whom I have a direct trade, and I see they'll be at BGG.con, it would make it easier to propose a no-ship direct trade. I could also see someone talking about a given game, and see the tag, and propose meeting up to play it then, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also the annual pre-con flea market geeklists where people post stuff for sale (granted, that's not trading per se), but there's no reason you couldn't post in those lists saying you're looking for trades or even set up a pre-BGG.Con trading list that's not math trade focused.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
skelebone wrote:

Nothing wrong with the math trade. Is there something wrong with a direct trade?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Digren K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
leroy43 wrote:
There's also the annual pre-con flea market geeklists where people post stuff for sale (granted, that's not trading per se), but there's no reason you couldn't post in those lists saying you're looking for trades or even set up a pre-BGG.Con trading list that's not math trade focused.

Sure.

I guess most people are missing the point, though. The point is that all of your counter-suggestions require other people - you know the people with whom I could have a direct trade or with whom I might want to get together at BGG.con to play a game - to actively do something (more than list items for trade/want to play, which I assume they've already done).

Plenty of people are not that active of BGG, won't participate in the math trade, won't list items in the flea market nor read the flea market request list, and yet they would positively respond to good trade requests if sent to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Corbin
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Digren wrote:
I've been looking through possible trades for matches, but some of the games I have to trade - and some I want - are larger and heavier. I'm not sure I want to pay for shipping on either side. All things equal, I'd rather trade with someone who will attend BGG.con, since we can do the exchange in person. (Obviously this works best for the other person if they'll drive as I will, but maybe they're flying Southwest or have airline status and thus free bags.)

I wish there was a way to identify those who will attend BGG Con so I can tell when looking through trade lists.

------

My thoughts:
Option 1) Create a microbadge for "Planning to attend BGG Con This Year". People who plan to attend can buy and wear this microbadge, and if I see it I'll know to favor them for heavy game trades. Plus I'll know they'll be at BGG con and could schedule games, etc! =p Win for all!

The only problem with option 1 is that it requires people to actively come up with 8 geek gold (something some of us don't have right now), plus remember to set it as one of their visible microbadges.

Option 2) Give people a microbadge when they register for BGG Con. Incorporate it into the registration process, including an option for people to display it right away, and then more people will do so.

This is better from a user's standpoint but puts work on the BGG staff. It also won't work until next year since lots of people are already registered.

Option 3) Give people who register for BGG Con some other way to indicate such on their avatar, besides a microbadge. This is even more work for BGG staff, with little reward.

-------

Of the three, option 1 is the easiest to start, but hardest to spread. Someone with a bit of artistic talent just needs to make the microbadge. Any other ideas or options?

I like the idea. I'd love to be able to identify BSG PBF players that are going to b there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carc >> BSG
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Start a thread. Will the real BGGCon Attendees Please Stand Up? Please Stand Up?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CW Lumm
United States
Hampden
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ejcarter wrote:
Start a thread. Will the real BGGCon Attendees Please Stand Up? Please Stand Up?

Agreed. Though I still think a microbadge is a good idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There already is a microbadge,  BGG.CON attendee The problem is that you need people to buy it, and wear it.

I'm wearing mine, now you need to get others to follow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Miller
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Working through the night Jeff fixed the broken link. After being fixed the broken link became Jeff's BGG profile.
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
There already is a microbadge,  BGG.CON attendee The problem is that you need people to buy it, and wear it.

The other problem with that is it's not specific to the 2012 BGG.CON. Folks who attended in past years, but not as fortunate this year will need to supress their desire to wear it.

It would be cool to have a unique badge for each year; similar to the Secret Santa.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Digren K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mildthrill wrote:
"UnknownParkerBrother"]There already is a microbadge, mb[/microbadge wrote:
The problem is that you need people to buy it, and wear it.

The other problem with that is it's not specific to the 2012 BGG.CON. Folks who attended in past years, but not as fortunate this year will need to supress their desire to wear it.

It would be cool to have a unique badge for each year; similar to the Secret Santa.

I thought about that, and actually don't think it should be unique each year. Rather, I just want one like the linked badge, except with mouse over text that reads "I plan to attend BGG Con this year!"

With that you show it years you plan to attend (at least in the months leading up to the con) and don't in other years. Simple, if the registration process A) gives it out for free to registrants, and B) makes it easy to set it as slot 5. With those so most have it and use it, I think it would work well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Andrews
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
OCD with the Letters in the Right Order!
badge
Squirrel Chaser
mbmbmbmbmb
Digren wrote:
Plenty of people are not that active of BGG, won't participate in the math trade, won't list items in the flea market nor read the flea market request list, and yet they would positively respond to good trade requests if sent to them.

Are they likely to read this thread? It would seem not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Digren K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andrews777 wrote:
Digren wrote:

Are they likely to read this thread? It would seem not.

Nope, alas. Hence getting them to flag their avatars really needs to be done during BGG Con registration, not in any after-registration campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've thought about this too. If there were some way to flag con attendees when I run the trade manager, that'd be great. I'm not holding my breath though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linda Baldwin
United States
White Plains
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I'm not a trader, so I'm not your target audience, but I randomize my MBs daily, and I'd be unlikely to change that for someone else's convenience. Also, people often do creative things with their MBs, or display some that they have an emotional attachment too. The issues not quite as simple as having a microbadge available; people have to have a reason to wear it instead of what they usually wear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Digren K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carmilla wrote:
Well, I'm not a trader, so I'm not your target audience, but I randomize my MBs daily, and I'd be unlikely to change that for someone else's convenience. Also, people often do creative things with their MBs, or display some that they have an emotional attachment too. The issues not quite as simple as having a microbadge available; people have to have a reason to wear it instead of what they usually wear.

Aye, hence option 3) from the original list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.