Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Norbert Chan
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Wow, so this is what you get for 100 pieces of gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
We bought some wooden blocks for the little princess, who is 21 months old. One of the blocks has a unicorn on it. She went up to me, pointed to it and said "Elephant".

So what do we do? Do we know always refer to an unicorn as an elephant? It's as if the unicorn has been stricken from the gene pool.

And if we do teach her what a unicorn is, enabling her imagination to know no boundaries, eventually she will realize there is no such beast.

I didn't realize parenting was so hard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
avkiopy avkiopy
msg tools
Hi there,

I think it's fine to teach her the word "unicorn", she's going to learn that some things (like Santa Claus) don't exist, but no harm in enlarging her imagination and learning more words for now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Show her a picture of an elephant and tell her that's an elephant. If she asks what the unicorn is tell her, "it's not an elephant."

I was holder up markers and asking my niece what color they were. Red, green, yellow, blue...and when I held up the purple marker she studied it and replied, "not blue."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Levy
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sniff, sniff, sniff...

Hmm, I smell a new Geek. And if he's also new to Chit Chat...

DIBS ON HIS SOUL!!!!

*burp*!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
Norbert Chan wrote:
eventually she will realize there is no such beast.

What!?!? You mean they don't exist? Why didn't anyone tell me!!! Why did you have to be so mean and break it to me like that. You are a cruel man. I know Santa's not going to bring you anything this Christmas!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
Give her a couple of sharp knives. Perhaps she is an artist and wants to carve a unicorn out of the block.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
Norbert Chan wrote:
We bought some wooden blocks for the little princess, who is 21 months old. One of the blocks has a unicorn on it. She went up to me, pointed to it and said "Elephant".

So what do we do? Do we know always refer to an unicorn as an elephant? It's as if the unicorn has been stricken from the gene pool.

And if we do teach her what a unicorn is, enabling her imagination to know no boundaries, eventually she will realize there is no such beast.

Tell her elephants are imaginary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Society of Watchers
United States
Killbuck
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tell her it's a 1-horned goat.

On a slightly different note (or 2).

My mom was briefly a door greeter at the local Wal-Mart.

I modified a song (or 2) to relate to her.

My momma was a one-eyed, one-horned, flying, purple people greeter,

and my momma told you, "you better shop around."
surprise

edit: add one-eyed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ferguson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Norbert Chan wrote:

I don't really see the problem.

The horse with the horn on it's head is deffinately not an Elephant. Mythical beasts aside, you're teaching her the wrong picture for Elephant.

At any rate, I see nothing wrong with telling her it's a unicorn. When she's a little older, you just tell her that unicorns are "make believe" or "pretend" or "made up". You can also tell her that there are lots of other pretend animals, like Dragons, and Hippogriffs, Leprechauns, and God...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy the Hut
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Sit beside the breakfast table Think about your troubles Pour yourself a cup of tea Then think about the bubbles
mbmbmbmbmb
Eventually kids get to the point where they realize that we, their parents, don't know everything. There's nothing wrong with helping them along that path by feeding them falsehoods early.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
Tell her it's a unicorn. They roll with the whole "not real" thing pretty well most of the time. I never had to explain unicorns and pegasi weren't real to mine, she already knew it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
They're cute when they are able to modify an entire family's vocabulary. When my oldest son was very young, he greatly enjoyed the Crab Rangoon from the local Chinese takeout, but thought that they were Crab Raccoon. He loved to eat those yummy Raccoons. One time, he could not remember the name and got frustrated trying to coax the name from his memory. He finally sighed and asked us to order some "Squirrels" from the Chinese place (right zip code, wrong tree, eh?). For the last 11 years, our family has eaten Squirrel Dumplings, not Crab Rangoon.

And thanks to my princess (now age 6), the orca at Sea World will forevermore be named "Shampoo".

PS No way unicorns are not real. I swear one of them ate Lisa Frank and then took a dump all over the Justice store at the mall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tell her what it is. Unicorns exist in the collective mind, it doesn't matter that they aren't real animals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
As an aside, for the longest time my kids called them Unihorns.

TomA and I thought it was so logical, we couldn't bear to correct them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
Bearcat89 wrote:
They're cute when they are able to modify an entire family's vocabulary.
Which is why the word chew-mongous is one of my all-time favorites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Mohling
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't prove that unicorns don't exist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
United States
Mount Dora
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, she already knows what it is. She is just acting out of the little girl/unicorn conspiracy. See, she has already met unicorns, and learned that boys and men can't see their horns. She was just saying elephant to through you off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Just keep her far away from any T V set to avoid 'hearing' her *retort* at A-N-Y 'time': "They're here!..." shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb
It won't help with your unicorn problem but it could add lots of fun to the confusion.

FYI Eric (the writer and singer) is a gamer in addition to being a nationally known kid's musician.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dowdy
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
avkiopy wrote:
she's going to learn that some things (like Santa Claus) don't exist

WTF, no spoiler tags? What a cruel way for me to find this out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R.T. Sloan
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The "Reverse Santa Clause Problem"?

Is that when some old homeless guy breaks into your house at night and steals all of the presents you got for Christmas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Do you know HOW we 'realize' that the "Tooth Fairy" was concocted in Alabama? Because, anywhere ELSE and this would have been the: "TEETH" 'kind'! The very same manner as regarding: "Toothpaste"!
robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If I was truly the product of “Intelligent Design,” I’m pretty sure my fingers would be smaller or my nose would be bigger.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember bits of my Psychology classes I took in college some mumblety-mumble years ago. At that age the difference between what is real and imaginary is almost non-existent. They have no way to tell what things are real and what are not, and trying to explain it to them is futile -- your words are just gibberish to them.

If it comes up again, gently correct her and teach her the new word. As she gets older she will slowly learn to distinguish between real and make-believe, but let her learn that on her own. Allowing her to call an animal (real or not) by the incorrect name will do her a disservice in the future, and she might resent you for letting her be wrong for all that time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.