Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charles Barchuk
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just curious what LOS variant have most people switched to?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't yet, still giving the core rules a chance.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vernan Stanton
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
Trapped In A World I Never Made...
mbmbmbmbmb
our group goes for centre of square to centre of square
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aswin Agastya
Indonesia
Bekasi
Jawa Barat
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After one campaign we don't feel the need for LoS variants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Albritton
United States
Tupelo
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't found any real problems with the LOS rules. It's easy to shoot at things and get shot at. Sometimes things just look weird, is all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
I hate overtext but love irony.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kubigaruma wrote:
I haven't found any real problems with the LOS rules. It's easy to shoot at things and get shot at. Sometimes things just look weird, is all.

This.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
Been playing with the LOS rules as written. They are poo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Auringer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
We used the "draw a line from one corner of the origin to two corners of the target" from some other game. Worked pretty well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found the LoS rules to work just fine. I recommend no variants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Pushkar
Estonia
flag msg tools
mbmb
As players with big D1E and D&D experience we don't need rules. We see of target in LOS from first sight.
In some issues we use "from any point inside square to any point inside square" combined with HeroScape-like LOS rules.

Core D2E LOS not usable for us due to some weird and idiotic situation we had.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mik kaze
Belgium
flag msg tools
True, that the new rule is often a bit weird, and sometime way to simple.
I have to admit that it save time and avoid dabate (fight).
So i'm happy with the new rule

For who, who need something else, you can try this :

http://www.descentinthedark.com/_l_/line_of_sight_checker.ph...

it was based on the 1st edition LOS rules.

Have fun, and die early.

Your dear OL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Davies
United Kingdom
Winchmore Hill
London
flag msg tools
Lv 30 Lawful/Evil Human Dungeon Master
badge
In Toruk's name!
mb
cbarchuk wrote:
I was just curious what LOS variant have most people switched to?

Why would you need to use a variant for LOS?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Barchuk
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I'm kind of indifferent about the LOS for the most part. But it seems a lot of folks are unhappy with it so I was just curious what those people were using as an alternative if any.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Davies
United Kingdom
Winchmore Hill
London
flag msg tools
Lv 30 Lawful/Evil Human Dungeon Master
badge
In Toruk's name!
mb
cbarchuk wrote:
Well I'm kind of indifferent about the LOS for the most part. But it seems a lot of folks are unhappy with it so I was just curious what those people were using as an alternative if any.

Oh, I wasn't aware people were unhappy with it, we don't have an issue - it's very similar to DND 4e so I found it very easy to use from that perspective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Whitmire
United States
Pilot Point
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cbarchuk wrote:

Personally, I think you get use to LOS in 2E. Just realize that there basically is no hiding, or at least, IMHO, it doesn't warrant trying to figure out how to be out LOS. Once you accept that, you're good to go. Besides, less of this game is about combat, and more is about running to complete objectives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Barber
England
Aylesford
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules as in rule book

In order for a figure to have line of sight to a space, a player must be able to trace an uninterrupted, straight line from any corner of that figure’s space to any corner of the target space.
If the line passes through the edge of a map tile, a door, or a blocked space (a space containing a figure or obstacle), the target space is not in line of sight
If the line passes along the edge of a blocked space the target space is not in line of sight. However,
if the line only touches the corner of a blocked space (without passing through the space itself ), the target space is in line of sight.

Our rules

There are two types of blocked space
1 = a space surrounded by red line or space that is part of the black edge of the tile. This is fully blocked space or tile edge corner
2= a space that has a monster or hero in it. This space is partially blocked

With that in mind

In order for a figure to have line of sight to a space, a player must be able to trace an uninterrupted, straight line from any corner of that figure’s space to any corner of the target space.
If the line passes through the edge of a map tile, a door, or any blocked space (a space containing a figure or obstacle), the target space is not in line of sight
If the line passes through a partially blocked space and the occupant of that space is the target the occupant does not block line sight. (a hero or monster cannot block line of sight to its self).
If the line passes along the edge of a fully blocked space the target space is not in line of sight.
If the line passes along the edge of a partially blocked space the target space is in line of sight
if the line only touches the corner of a Fully blocked space (without passing through the space itself ), the target space is in not line of sight.
if the line only touches the corner of a partially blocked space (without passing through the space itself ), the target space is in line of sight.

We added an extra rule
If you can only trace a line to one corner of the target space the hero or monster there is in cover and gets an automatic one shield bonus added to its defence dire roll so if it rolls 3 shields it gets 4 shields
If you can trace a line to more than one corner of the target space it is in normal line of sight.

This seems to fix most of the weird things that can happen. Like being able to shoot around corners and the like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R N
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
@ Tony Barber
Is this correct?

Blocked spaces that are not a figure:
If a line passes through the edge,
or a line passes along the edge,
or a line touches the corner,
then that LOS is blocked.

Blocked spaces that are a figure:
If a line passes through the edge,
and the figure is not the target of this attack,
then that LOS is blocked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Overholser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only houserule I'm considering implementing is making LoS work from any point to any point, mainly because it fixes the weird "figure blocks LoS to itself" issue.

Beyond that, I don't really have a houserule for 0-depth walls, more of an interpretation: the edge of a 0-depth wall blocks any LoS moving through that corner, including any lines drawn perpendicular to the wall. (It does not block diagonal movement, however.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Barber
England
Aylesford
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes correct slacks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Herzog
Germany
Dresden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We play with the original rules, with one change:
LOS is also, if you can draw two lines from two corners (of one square with a figure) from the attacker to one corner of the defender. It totally works and gave us a realistic LOS.

best regards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
360_Piranha wrote:
We play with the original rules, with one change:
LOS is also, if you can draw two lines from two corners (of one square with a figure) from the attacker to one corner of the defender. It totally works and gave us a realistic LOS.

best regards

The biggest problem with this type of LOS is the whole "Wait, he can attack me but I can't attack him?" My group would probably flip. They prefer both ways to work (if A can hit B, then B should be able to hit A). For example, the lower right corner example makes no sense since the attack can hit that defender through the cracks of the obstacles, but the defender can't shoot through and hit the attacker. In most 'realistic' cases, the other way around is how it works (i.e. archers defending castles through slits, etc).

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Herzog
Germany
Dresden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:

The biggest problem with this type of LOS is the whole "Wait, he can attack me but I can't attack him?" My group would probably flip. They prefer both ways to work (if A can hit B, then B should be able to hit A).

Yes you are right, but I think the most situations of "A" can shoot "B", but "B" not "A", are things with corners. A guy on a corner is so much better protected as a guy along a wall. And if the guy on the wall move one space away, he has LOS... we found it very realistic. I think it is a military/infantery thing. Often the "Wait, he can attack me but I can't attack him?" is not true.

shnar wrote:

For example, the lower right corner example makes no sense since the attack can hit that defender through the cracks of the obstacles, but the defender can't shoot through and hit the attacker. In most 'realistic' cases, the other way around is how it works (i.e. archers defending castles through slits, etc).
-shnar

Yes - hmm... but it is only a problem of shooting through the cracks of obstacles (or figures or walls) do you think the following rule fix it?

If you can draw two lines from two corners (of one square with a figure) from the attacker to one corner of the defender.

Is a corner (of one square with a figure) at the same time also a corner from 2 diagonal obstacles, figures and/or walls, you can draw one line from this corner to one corner of the defender.

(in this case back to one line rule)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.