Subject: Demo at Gen Con rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Massek
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I demoed Seasons at Gen Con on Saturday and played through one year. Everyone had the hang of the game after the first round.

Sunday I was going through the dealer hall aimlessly and there were three people sitting down to learn, but the demoer was still teaching the other table, so I asked if they wanted me to play and teach them. Taught them in 5 to 10 minutes and we were off. It's a great game that is easy to learn, but I think it is going to have a lot of depth and strategy.

It's definitely on my next boardgame order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig.
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I demoed it on Thursday with 3 players and we went through 1.5 years. I wasn't impressed. However, I like all of the mechanisms and the game really comes together with the full deck and card drafting. The theme is a bit disjointed, but that can be over-looked. The scoring can get really messy though, so I wish there was a better way or at least more space on the score track. Oh well, it's still serviceable and I like the game, but I'm not quite completely sold on it yet...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was the best new game I saw and/or played at GenCon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jenkins
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Hunky-dory.
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a full game (all 3 years) on Friday morning. Of the dozen or so games that I demoed this year, Seasons was my favorite. Although, I can understand why some folks won't like it.

I enjoy any card game that allows you to easily combo cards, and Seasons has plenty of neat combos. (Note: for the demo we were using pre-determined "beginner" starting hands). Dice drafting for resources is a cool concept. The game has several layers of strategy, but they are all light/moderate and make for a lot of just plain fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek E
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I've been playing it quite a bit on BGA and I really enjoy the game itself but I would definitely agree with the poor crystal scoring track. One bump of the table and you essentially have to start over. That's why I fully intend to get counters to use for this game. Heck, even poker chips would be a great substitute. The rest of the components are amazing so this wont stop me from buying the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played 1.5 years at Gen Con as well, and while it took me a bit to click with, I found myself really looking forward to playing with the full deck and drafting. I think once my group gets the hang of it, it'll be played as often as 7 Wonders was when that came out. Really sad I couldn't take it home though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig.
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stagger lee wrote:
I played 1.5 years at Gen Con as well, and while it took me a bit to click with, I found myself really looking forward to playing with the full deck and drafting. I think once my group gets the hang of it, it'll be played as often as 7 Wonders was when that came out. Really sad I couldn't take it home though.

I wasn't sure about Seasons after my first play. However, my second play using the advanced rules with all of the cards and full drafting was much better. I would recommend just skipping the basic game and go ahead and use all of the cards. Or, play a round or two using the basic cards to learn the mechanics and then stop, start over with all the cards and draft them. The basic game left me thinking it wasn't a good game, but the full game now has me hooked. Ignore the theme; I don't even get it, so explaining it would be difficult. They tried, but the theme doesn't really work. The mechanisms are good though.

Pete, just curious if this was the first game you demoed on Thursday right off the bat. If so, I think you and I were at the same table. I kind of wish we would have played the game all the way through...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Franklin
United States
Milton
Washington
flag msg tools
He sees you when you're sleeping; he knows when you're awake ...
badge
He knows if you've been bad or good.
mbmbmbmbmb
stagger lee wrote:

We actually had a guy rage-quit the demo when he learned we didn't have any left to sell. I believe his exact words were, "Why am I wasting my time with this, then?"

shake

Thanks for playing half-way through the game.

I can't wait to get my copy, either ...

Eric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrice Dubois
France
La Garenne Colombes
Hauts de Seine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did someone played the 4 players configuration ? I have friends here how told me it is a 2 or 3 players only.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig.
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fdubois wrote:
Did someone played the 4 players configuration ? I have friends here how told me it is a 2 or 3 players only.

Thanks.

It will play up to 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrice Dubois
France
La Garenne Colombes
Hauts de Seine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah ! My bad

I know that it is a 2 to 4 players game. What i meant : does it plays well with 4 players ?

Sorry again.blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig.
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fdubois wrote:
Ah ! My bad

I know that it is a 2 to 4 players game. What i meant : does it plays well with 4 players ?

Sorry again.blush

Yes, I thought so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Massek
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoyed my two demos with 4 players. We just did a little over a year in both though, but still really enjoyed it with 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.