United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
first couple of videos and reading through the rules I set out to play a solo learning game.

After combining Napoleon's force with Davout to form an Army Group they moved to attack an Austrian Army Group led by Charles at Linz. The French had 12 units to Austria's 10. Russia's Kutzov was in Vienna with another 6 units. Before Austria could evade or attempt intercept the French played a Leader Wounded card on Charles and rolled a 6 eliminating him. Kutzov then rolled to intercept which he was successful doing. The French then played Stragglers on the intercepting Russians which only took 1 straggler loss. The Russians then played a battle card, Great Redoubt which halves disrupts against them and limits the combat to one round unless the Russian/Austrian Army is routed or eliminated. The French roll a combined 19 die vs the Russo/Austrian 20 die. Each side takes four hits. The French take 3 disrupts to the Russo/Austrian 1. Due to the Great Redoubt Napoleon is forced to retreat back to Ratisbon.

What a great battle for the first turn. The card interactions were really interesting. Of course the French burned a lot of cards also. The French could have committed the Guard but I don't think it would have made a difference.

Other events/battles occurring in the first turn were Irish Revolt played by the French, the British getting to use the Admiralty reserve for 2 more cards, Persian War played on the Russians and a failed siege of Lisbon by the Spanish.

I'm not even done with the first turn, but I was so excited by the play occurring I had to post. The options available for the first turn are wide open. I tried to follow a semi-historical approach as I am still learning the game. I can see though were this could be a rip-roaring fun multi-player game.

Here is a pic of the map at this point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The British used their reserve to give the Russians another card. The Russians used the card to attack Napoleon at Ratisbon. Napoleon's evade failed and Kutsov delivered a crushing blow to the Emperor, who retreated to Franconia. Kutsov then left the Austrians behind to take Munich.

The British were also able to put down the Irish Revolt before the end of the turn.

Quite an eventful first turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Alexopoulos
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, this game can be a roller coaster ride! Non-stop action all the way. Check out my session report from a game I played in not too long ago, which can be found here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/803461/a-turncoat-salvag...

This game is a lot of fun! Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob ZoBell
United States
North Salt Lake
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What methods (besides willful amnesia) do you find helpful in soloing this game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rob in a game like this I'm really playing to learn the mechanics and rules so I am more proficient in being able to teach potential opponents. I deal the cards face down to each power. During a powers turn I simply make the best play available. My memory is conveniently poor enough that I don;t remember what the other powers are holding in their hands. I don;t know the game well enough that even if I did remember, I wouldn't really be able to remember how a card might impact what I'm trying to do for the power whose hand I'm playing. It works well enough to accomplish what I'm trying to do.

I reset the game after finishing the first turn above as I realized I had done several things wrong. Since I'm trying to learn the game I went ahead and restarted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.