Nightfall» Forums » Rules

Subject: newb needs help rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon Thomas

Moore
Oklahoma
msg tools
so me and my friend were trying to play this game with just 2 ppl and found the rules to be very distorted and left me asking questions on first turn do my minions attack when the other player has no minions on the field when do we put minions on the field and the chain phase i dont get it and how monsters get put on chain phases when the active player starts out with the order cards he chains if there is a easy step by step rules and guide please help me out

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Redd
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Slow down there - periods and commas are our friends!

Okay... if I understand this correctly...

Minions attack first, before you do anything else on your turn. Therefore, when your minions attack on the very first turn, you won't have any in play, so the other guy won't need to defend himself just yet.

Minions are played during the Chain Phase, just like Actions (the only other card type besides Wounds). Then they wait until you either defend yourself with them, or attack with them at the start of your next turn.

The manual has some pretty good examples of chaining. Basically, you play cards by color-code until you either can't match colors or don't want to/can't play any more cards. Then the other player gets to chain as well, right off of your last card (thus, if your last card had a big white moon and the two little moons were red and blue, your opponent could chain out cards of his own, as long as the first one had a big red or blue moon on it, and so on).

Basically, both players might be able to play actions and minions on either player's turn so that they'll be ready to attack and defend at the beginning of the next player's turn.

Did that help sort things out a bit? If not, just keep digging through the forums here, or watch a few of the video tutorials and surely you'll get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Thomas

Moore
Oklahoma
msg tools
Thanks for the reply! ya my first question is how does the first players first turn start? He doesn't play minions? Does the minions on first players first turn attack if he does play minions?My second question was, if the active player starts the chain it has to be a order card? So then saying that each player can chain one time on it order or minion correct? So then lets say big ghost doesn't have any chain text but i chained him,What happens do i discard him? How does that scenario get resolved?
i had watch a recent video of the first nightfall game from drakkenstrike on youtube where his chain phase had him chaining big ghost and another minion, but it didnt get resolved or played out so left me with questions.
i appreciate the help Thank you very much!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first players turn begins with no minion in play. So their combat phase is essentially skipped this turn.
They then go right to their chain phase and can begin by chaining any cards they can. Let’s say the game begins and I go first. I have no minions so I go right to my chain phase. I chain 2 green minions and then my opponent can add his own orders to the chain. So they add 1 green minion. Then chain resolves, I claim cards and my turn ends.
Then my opponent takes a turn. First thing is combat so since he has a green minion he chained on my turn, he attacks me with it and discards it (or in case of starter minions, exiles it). Then he begins his chain…
So when it comes around to my turn, if I have any minions still around from the previous two chain phases, they will attack.
So you always begin each turn with attacking and will usually have no minions left over before you move on to your chain phase.

To answer your second question. ALL cards are order cards. Minions and actions are all orders when in the chain. Then once they resolve they stay in play if they are a minion, or they resolve and are discarded if they are an action.

You can chain any card off of any other card as long as the moons match up correctly. So if you play Big Ghost, he is a yellow order, so any yellow order card can be played next in order, and you continue linking cards to the chain until you pass, then your opponents all get one chance before resolving the chain.

I hope this clarifies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Thomas

Moore
Oklahoma
msg tools
ok. so i have pretty much got it sorted but for a couple of things.
1. when attacking 1 with 1 blocker minion with two minions 1 attack monster with 2 health does 1 minion attack the blocker and the other the player ? or do both take down the minion before any damage to the player?

2. when discarding a starter minion for influence do you exile or does it just get put in your discard pile?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1.I am not sure I follow the question, but I will clarify how attacking works.
You declare your attacking minions. The definding player then chooses which minions block your attackers. A minion can only block 1 attacker unless they have a special ability that lets them block more. So if I attack with a minion and it is blocked, all my attacking minions strength damages the defending minions health. And any damage beyond that goes directly to the player. Unless the player blocked with 2 or more minions to block all the attacking minions strength. If I attack with 2 or more minions, and the defender only has 1 defending minion, they only can block 1 minion, and the rest of the attackers all get through to damage the player.
I hope that answers your question.

2. When you discard a starter minion for influence during your claim phase, it just goes to the discard. The exile ability is an IN PLAY ability. IN PLAY abilities only are active when the minion was actually put in play during the chain phase. So you can keep discarding them over and over again for extra influence until you eventually play them. Once they are on the field and leave play for ANY reason, then they are exiled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gregg
United States
Franklinville
NC
flag msg tools
designer
NightfallGame.com/FAQ
badge
boardgamegeek.com/thread/1234645
mbmbmbmbmb
Fr3aksH0 wrote:
1. when attacking 1 with 1 blocker minion with two minions 1 attack monster with 2 health does 1 minion attack the blocker and the other the player ? or do both take down the minion before any damage to the player?

A single blocker can only block a single attacking minion, but blockers can gang up on a single attacker.
Example 1: You attack me with 2 minions, I only have 1 defending minion. I block 1 of the attacking minions, the other inflicts full damage on me equal to its strength (I take wounds).
Example 2: You attack me with 1 minion having 4 strength. I have 2 minions in play who each have 3 health. I assign both to block, destroying 1 of my defenders and leaving the other with 2 health (must use one fully before you can start to use the next).

Fr3aksH0 wrote:
2. when discarding a starter minion for influence do you exile or does it just get put in your discard pile?

They are placed in your discard pile as they were never in play to activate their in play exile text.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Thomas

Moore
Oklahoma
msg tools
can you discard wounds for 1 influence point?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AxonDomini
United States
Smithtown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely. You can discard any card at all for influence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Graf
Germany
Koblenz
flag msg tools
designer
Help me! I got addicted to MtG again!
badge
Help me! I got addicted to MtG again!
mbmbmbmbmb
From the FAQ:
Quote:
Claim Phase FAQ

The active player may discard as many cards (including wounds) from their hand as they like to gain 1 influence per card discarded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Thomas

Moore
Oklahoma
msg tools
ok now i have noticed an issue weve been having ive been playing with 3 people total. the issue is we had a public archive of mainly actions and 1 minion, are decks are not expanding and by the 3rd or fourth turn our decks will only have about 6-7 cards total in it including wounds.
I know that having maby equal parts monsters and equal parts actions in the public archives will help but is there another way to get our decks a little more filled from get go. i did even have one player who would discard his starting hand to get influence to build his deck and he had an upper hand but still was limited in his deck. i dont know if we are doing something wrong butit takes away from the game when your hand iss all wounds and no one can play anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gregg
United States
Franklinville
NC
flag msg tools
designer
NightfallGame.com/FAQ
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, don't be in a hurry to play your starter minions! Only play one if you need it for defense in the early game as each played minion equals 1 less influence to spend. Also, starters can be much more powerful by using them mid-late game to limit the chain colors being passed to your opponents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Thomas

Moore
Oklahoma
msg tools
so i am now interested in purchasing a expansion is there a certain favorite that adds more to the game to get first

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gregg
United States
Franklinville
NC
flag msg tools
designer
NightfallGame.com/FAQ
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fr3aksH0 wrote:
so i am now interested in purchasing a expansion is there a certain favorite that adds more to the game to get first

Nightfall: The Coldest War adds the most new stuff (custom starter decks, feed text, combat text, moon phases, ML wounds and CW wounds). However it's also the most complex to jump into. If you're cool with the complexity, go for it, otherwise build up to it with Nightfall: Martial Law which introduces feed text and ML wounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.