Cedric Chong
Singapore
flag msg tools
comic style
badge
comic style
mbmbmbmbmb

Background
This game was played immediately after the previous one. I felt I had a lucky break with the Doomsday Bolt scoring a 1 in 6 chance to hit. Plus I had made a bad move which put one of my unit in a 3 versus 1 scenario.

So moving on to this mission, I was determined not to make those mistakes again.

For mission #2, the objective was different. In mission #1, the score was count of destroyed units. In mission #2 however, the score was power crystals. Specifically, be the first to score 8 power crystals.

My initial thought was.. okay, just keep doing damage and let's see what happens.

The Game
Satellite City States started the round. None of the movement put any of my opponent's units in LOS of mine. So I was a bit surprised. Then I saw the Long Range Bombardment play. Apparently you only needed to move one sector forward to reach the other end with this card.

On my turn, I also had a Long Range Bombardment card. But since I rolled 2 Blue activation dice, I pushed my Recon all the way forward. The Heavy Link made 2 damage. But the sad thing was although my Recon scored a Critical-1, the card draw sucked. Missed the roll and dealt no damage

Game equalised at 2-2.

When round 2 began, I had expected my Recon to get a beating. Luck was on my side, my opponent did not roll a Blue nor a Command. The rest of the army was not able to reach me! Heheheh. I would like to think it was ingenious play on my part to put my Recon in a tactical position. But of course I had not planned for that...

Round 2 my turn. I had the choice to push my Medium Link down the right flank to get Line-Of-Sight to the Infantry. However, that would put me wide open with no cover.. right in front of my opponent's Heavy and Medium Link. I had a Smart Bomb card, so I decided to advance down the left flank instead. I could have double-teamed the enemy Recon unit, but it only had 1 crystal left. So I left it to my Recon.. and it finished the job.

Round 3. SCS ordered 3 units, and all 3 units managed to hit my units. Score at 5-6.

Round 3 my turn. At 5-6 I felt I was about to lose the game. I scanned the battlefield. Only the Heavy Link was out in the open. Perhaps I could get 2 units to fire at it. The other units were either too far or well covered. So with hesitation, I spent my lock-on relay on the Heavy Link... praying for a miracle.

And a miracle did happen. I drew the System Reboot! Haha, I received 3 more Weapon System cards! I got my Infantry to participate in the battle as well! Although it only moved 1 sector and was almost at the starting line, it was exactly 5 sectors away from the Heavy Link. Smart Bomb time! Scored a hit, and my Medium Link followed up.

But wait a minute, the Weapon System card allowed for 1 extra damage! Ha! 8 crystals, I won!

Aftermath
When I initially looked at this mission set-up, I had thought it was going to be a long game. Coming from mission #1 where the terrain was relatively sparse, mission #2 was littered with terrain that blocked Line-Of-Sight.

In round 1, I had thought this was going to be a game with lots of close combat. However, as the game progressed, it turned out to be much faster than I had anticipated. In fact in mission #1, the game ended in turn 1 of round 3. This game ended in turn 2 of round 3. So the game duration was almost the same, even when the mission had 1 more link and more terrain.

I really enjoyed this session as well! Looking forward to the next play! thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

------------------------
1: Doom Bolt of Death
2: The Big Reboot
3: The Bomb From Nowhere
4: Critical Escape
5: Fast Battle & Furious Damage
------------------------
A Geeklist of all my comic-style "stuff"
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Thank YOU on providing this 'medium' for which 'moi' fervently advocated with anyone producing through such demeanor. The "next step" were a print-out in some manner with 'comics'/"graphic novella"-form for how they are 'fashioned' and 'cover-art' from the GAME, no doubt to complete and *insert* within yours. THEN, you can present it to another from which they could more easily GRASP everything depicted JUST by reading this now, eh wot?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the comic book format!

Nice job!

Care to share which software program you used to create the report?

Oh yes, and you did a fine paint job as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McLeod
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More great work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cedric, you deserve a medal! But GeekGold will have to suffice...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.