Hide
9 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Newbie with a few questions about board games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
warmsignal the great
msg tools
I'm a total noob as far as this hobby goes, I just started. I am interested in starting a collection, specifically dealing with early and 60s/70s vintage board games. I am counting on finding them in the wild, of course. But I quickly realized the challenge in doing this is finding complete games.

I picked up my first game the other day, Kreskin's ESP, and because I didn't really know what to look for, I didn't realize it was incomplete. I've checked around on the site, but can't find any sort of guide to complete games. Does such a recourse exist? Are there any books out that can help you there?

Also, is there a rarity guide for old board games? Does such a thing as a "rare" board game even exist? Are older editions considered more collectable or more valuable than newer ones?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mellon
United States
Erie
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Before you start collecting old games, you should try some of the modern games.

They're actually quite fun. You might want to buy new games and play them, instead of buying old games that aren't as good, and just looking at them on your shelves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
warmsignal wrote:
I've checked around on the site, but can't find any sort of guide to complete games. Does such a recourse exist? Are there any books out that can help you there?

On many game pages you can find pdfs or links to rulebooks that will give a complete list of components. However, it's hard to know when you buy the product, of course.

warmsignal wrote:
Also, is there a rarity guide for old board games? Does such a thing as a "rare" board game even exist? Are older editions considered more collectable or more valuable than newer ones?

There is no guide, but yes, there are many "rare" board games. Frankly, most are.

Older editions aren't always considered better, though it happens now and then.

However, if your goal is to collect stuff that will be REALLY valuable, then you're in the wrong field. Boardgamers are mostly gamers, and very very few are collectors in the sense that they'll hoard wrapped, unopened games. Hence, very few games will get you a lot of money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
badge
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Many game info pages will have a parts inventory somewhere. Either in the forums, or the files. Kreskin does not have one, but there are some good photos of the game that may help you.

Also in the statistics section (of the Kreskin game page), you will see that 3 Geeks have extra parts for trade. You might be able to complete the copy you have.

You will find most of the content on the site is about the playing of the games. However, a lot of people fit into gamers/game collectors, because their addiction enjoyment of the games has led them to a modest or even not-so-modest game collection. (Look around and you will find some people with thousands of games!) Few that are collectors/not players, but there are probably some.

Lastly, on the Forums tab at the top of the page, if you select "forums" and bring up the index, you may want to look at "Board Game Valuations" for discussion about games and their values.

Good luck.

A very last, final item, is that there is a "subscribe" feature that you can find below the title of this thread. If you select that, you will be notified when other users post replies to this topic. Subscription notifications are at the top left of the page, just to the right of the BGG logo, below your geekmail notification and above your username.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend of mine has a copy of this book on his coffee table:

http://www.amazon.com/American-Games-Comprehensive-Collector...

It doesn't go into game contents, but it does have lists of games from many publishers with values. The Amazon page shows some similar books.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
agashamirv wrote:
Before you start collecting old games, you should try some of the modern games.

They're actually quite fun. You might want to buy new games and play them, instead of buying old games that aren't as good, and just looking at them on your shelves.

If they are doing this for the sake of collecting games versus playing them, then that's not as useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
warmsignal wrote:
I am counting on finding them in the wild, of course.

I really like this line - You'll fit in well here.

I'd agree with others - collect old games but be sure to play some new ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing you can do is follow the weekly thrift list, to see what used games people are buying, and listen to them discuss reselling and profits for each game.

Your Thrift Store/Bargain Finds 20 - 26 August 2012

Some games are highly valuable until a reprint comes out, or a dormant game becomes desirable when a movie is released, for example.

The thrifters' guild is a treasure trove of information:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/193

and you can buy or trade parts that you need, especially with the help of the parts list:

2012 SPARE PARTS RESOURCE LIST
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
warmsignal the great
msg tools
Assuming that you all get what sorts of games I'm after (early, but not antique)which of these books would you recommend?

http://www.amazon.com/More-Board-Games-Schiffer-Collectors/d...

or

http://www.amazon.com/American-Games-Comprehensive-Collector...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.