Popular Tags: [View All]
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
What I find interesting is that when FFG demoed the co-op version of this game last year, every comment I read about it (and there were several) was that it was really great, and very thematic, and though it had some similarities to the LOTR LCG, it was also different enough from that and even better than that.

Then, of course, they scrapped that idea for some reason, saying they wanted to make the best game possible, but now this year, I'm reading a lot of comments about people being underwhelmed by the new version, saying that it's not very thematic or different from other LCGs, etc. Sure, some are excited by it, and there are some unique elements to it, but even several people who were hoping for PvP seem to be very much "meh" about it.

So maybe they'll scrap this version and start work on a third version. Okay, almost certainly not... But I do wonder if FFG might consider releasing the original co-op version as a POD thing (again, probably not, but I suppose that might be a vague possibility if enough people request it). I was really eager to play that version. Now, no interest at all.

My wife and I produce my music together, and sometimes we come to verbal blows about how certain things should be done for a particular song. What we've found is that what works best is not to compromise, or to switch from one side to the other, but to look for a third option, outside of the two specific things we're each fighting for. And usually there is a great third option available, if we look for it. I wonder if there was a better third option for this game. In any case, I hope we can learn more about the decision making behind the different versions. That would be interesting to know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Think that a bunch of worldly (when it comes to board games) adults are just not the target audience.

Lucas says 'you gotta move units.'

13 year old boys say 'I wanna fight with my friends!'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Hancock
Australia
Birkdale
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
Think that a bunch of worldly (when it comes to board games) adults are just not the target audience.

+1

This being said, I thought us middle aged blokes (with kids) would be the initial target audience... "Hey son, wanna play a game about a movie I watched when I was your age!?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Redd
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn, FFG, just buy the rights from Decipher already! They really can't going to make a better Star Wars game than the CCG was... as an LCG, the only real flaw it had (chasing staple rares) would vanish, thus making it the best Star Wars game ever!

(Gee, I wonder if anyone wonders what I really think? )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jflartner
United States
Conshohocken
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
galathonredd wrote:
Damn, FFG, just buy the rights from Decipher already! They really can't going to make a better Star Wars game than the CCG was... as an LCG, the only real flaw it had (chasing staple rares) would vanish, thus making it the best Star Wars game ever!

I don't know if FFG is interested in converting OOP ccg properties to LCG. Who knows if that strategy would be successful at all??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I really hope they release the co-op version in some form. Either as a stand-alone card game (not LCG), another LCG line, or POD; as long the option is made available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernest S
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For those of you old enough to remember... it remides me of the introduction of the "new" coke & coke "classic."

Maybe we'll get a "new" pvp game AND the "old" (but never released ) co-op.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
This is a rebellion, isn't it? I rebel.
badge
He's a card player, gambler, scoundrel. You'd like him.
mbmbmbmbmb
jobin13 wrote:
galathonredd wrote:

(Gee, I wonder if anyone wonders what I really think? :D )

I don't know if FFG is interested in converting OOP ccg properties to LCG. Who knows if that strategy would be successful at all?? :p

This is what I have been thinking all weekend as well. Netrunner sold out in like 8 minutes they said, and did you see that pile?

Now imagine a remaking of Decipher Star Wars CCG as an LCG like that. Crazy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sturk
United States
Hudson
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As much as I would love to see the 2011 demo'ed co-op version released in any form, I doubt it will happen. cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Schwarz
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
GLOOOOOOOOOOOOOMHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAVEN!!!!!!!!!!!
badge
maybe on the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one....
mbmbmbmbmb
Mattr0polis wrote:

Now imagine a remaking of Decipher Star Wars CCG as an LCG like that. Crazy.

I'd be all over it - I love SWCCG from Deciper to death and a fresh, more limited (cardwise) approach would be just great!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
I guess I missed the news on this changing to a PVP based game.... bums me out.

Can someone update the description so that it meshes with the current design?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Caspers
Germany
Mönchengladbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ptdnet wrote:
scifiantihero wrote:

I've thought for years now that Lucas needs to be removed from Star Wars. It's time for the King to step down.

Surely Lucas watches daily with envy over the development of the Star Wars LCG.
I heard he even personally disbanded Lucasfilm Licensing to have direct control over the matter...

Seriously, if FFG fails to make a good Star Wars PvP card game, blame them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone Berti
Italy
Correggio
RE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
galathonredd wrote:

I do....and i can't agree more!
Come on FFG, please do the miracle!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.