Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
... and by consistently I mean something > 50% at the very least.

Is that even possible?

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Valkyser
Germany
Wesseling
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most certainly, it is not possible with the cards that were available at the time of publication of this scenario.
Maybe,some day, it will be possible to beat Dol Guldur after having access to the plethora of new player cards that have come out since.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course, I am not thinking of Core Set only decks here.

More like, 2-3 Core Sets + all expansions.

But even with a deck that beats Massing at Osgiliath solo without breaking a sweat, I have maybe 20~25% (estimate) against Dol Guldur.

A deck that is completely optimized to beat just this single scenario must be better than that.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brother Leon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 GG for this thinking it was a Geek Badge...
mb
the thought has crossed my mind as well

i would be confident having New Glorfindel, Eowyn and Aragorn (either one) go against this scenario.

Might give it a go once i finish the darrowdelf cycle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I try building a deck specifically to beat this scenario, I will probably start with Bifur (Lore), Frodo (Spirit) and Glorfindel (Spirit). That is 19 starting Threat with 3 heroes, so you can play Secrecy cards and won't get hammered too much initially.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tried a deck with those heroes, and it didn't work very well.

I think it looked about like this (didn't keep it together, so I am not 100% sure). I also tried a variant with Eowyn instead of Frodo, which worked slightly better with the questing, but didn't really get very far either.

LORE/SPIRIT

Bifur (Lore)
Glorfindel (Spirit)
Frodo (Spirit)

Lore

1x Gleowine
3x Warden of Healing
3x Master of the Forge

3x Protector of Lorien
2x A Burning Brand
3x Fast Hitch
3x Asfaloth

2x Secret Paths
3x Daeron's Runes
3x Peace, and Thought

Spirit

3x Northern Tracker
2x Bofur
1x Arwen Undomiel

2x Unexpected Courage
3x Light of Valinor

3x The Galadhrim's Greeting
3x Hasty Stroke
1x Stand and Fight
2x Dwarven Tomb
3x Elrond's Counsel

Neutral

3x Gandalf

3x Shadow of the Past
2x Boots from Erebor
3x Resourceful

I will probably try a 3-sphere deck with Leadership/Lore/Spirit next... Theodred (Leadership), Aragorn (Lore), and Glorfindel (Spirit).

Of course, that will be even more vulnerable to losing one hero initially.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ys jo
msg tools
The problem with Dol Guldur is that most effective solo decks out there at the moment are tri-sphere decks.

The game begins, and 1/3 of your cards are useless until you meeet Nazgul.

New trend introduced in Dwarrowdelf Cycle was Secrecy, which is exact opposite of what we needed (now 1/2 of our cards are useless, haha)

If and when a cards that give mono-spheres some love, Dol Guldur will become quite managable (need more cards like Thicket of Sphere, but cheaper in cost and variety of effects)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oleg volobujev
msg tools
mbmb
My deck which was build to win against any quest can beat Dol-Guldor as well. Is still very difficult but i do win one time from 4-5 games.

Here you go:

Total Cards (50)

Hero (3)
Aragorn (Core) x1
Denethor (Core) x1
Glorfindel (FoS) x1

Ally (14)
Arwen Undomiel (TWitW) x1
Gildor Inglorion (THoEM) x1
Gleowine (Core) x2
Haldir of Lorien (AJtR) x2
Snowbourn Scout (Core) x3
Gandalf (Core) x3
Erestor (TLD) x1
Henamarth Riversong (Core) x1

Attachment (22)
A Burning Brand (CatC) x2
Asfaloth (FoS) x2
Celebrian's Stone (Core) x2
Dunedain Mark (THfG) x2
Healing Herbs (FoS) x3
Light of Valinor (FoS) x2
Protector of Lorien (Core) x2
Unexpected Courage (Core) x2
Steward of Gondor (Core) x3
Sword that was Broken (TWitW) x2

Event (14)
A Test of Will (Core) x3
Daeron's Runes (FoS) x3
Elrond's Counsel (TWitW) x3
Sneak Attack (Core) x3
The Galadhrim's Greeting (Core) x2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oleg volobujev
msg tools
mbmb
I can beat Dol-Guldor with 3 sphere deck. Now is more easy then before cose new Glorifindel give you really good support.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can beat it as well... that is not the primary question here.

I'm wondering, if it can be beaten consistently (not just one out of four or five times or something like that ).

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Gutowski
Poland
GdaƄsk
flag msg tools
mbmb
Try Bifur - Theodred - Glorfindel (Spirit) and you will have very high win rate against dol guldur.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glaurung2 wrote:
My deck ...

That looks a bit similar to what I am thinking with my three-sphere approach, though I will try to put a bit more emphasis on the early phase (which is the biggest obstacle in Dol Guldur, the Nazgul isn't even that much of a problem, once he appears... it is getting there, that is the hard part) and the scenario specifics (i.e. have good opening cards in all spheres, since you will not be able to use all of them and will face up to 4 cards in the staging area initially; good questing power, regardless of which hero is taken, is also crucial).

One main idea, I have there, which certainly differs from your build, is heavily utilizing the new Aragorn, so I can skip some questing initially to build up and defend/defeat some of the early enemies and then, when it is time, set my Threat back down to the starting level (potentially after reaching the second phase and rescuing Aragorn, if he gets taken).

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
guciomir wrote:
Try Bifur - Theodred - Glorfindel (Spirit) and you will have very high win rate against dol guldur.

If you have a deck, that works, feel free to post it.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde Cloggie
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Glaurung2 wrote:
My deck...

That is almost identical to my current deck that I built to play a One Deck To Rule Them All campaign. I have a bit more card variety in the absence of more than one core set.

Dol Guldur is up tomorrow; I play the campaign as best-of-3 and although I'm fully expecting a 2-0 reverse I'm secretly hoping to get at least one victory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have now tried a deck based on the three heroes listed above (Aragorn (Lore), Theodred (Leadership), and Glorfindel (Spirit)), but it suffers too much from randomness.

Instead I am now using a deck with Aragorn (Lore), Theodred (Leadership) and Gloin (Leadership) with a number of Spirit cards and three of the song cards to add a Spirit resource (as well as the Stone, that grants Aragorn Spirit). That seems to work quite alright (certainly not even in the vincinity of 100%, but at least closer to 50% than to 25%).

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the Decklist. Far from perfect, but at least it seems to stand a chance, if the encounter deck isn't overly brutal. Not quite as consistent as I would like it to.

LORE/LEADERSHIP/SPIRIT

Heroes

Aragorn
Theodred
Gloin

Allies

2x Faramir
3x Dunedain Watcher
2x Gleowine
1x Gildor Inglorion
3x Warden of Healing
3x Master of the Forge
3x Northern Tracker
1x Arwen Undomiel
3x Gandalf

Attachments

2x Celebrian's Stone
3x Steward of Gondor
2x Dunedain Warning
2x Sword that was Broken
2x Self Preservation
2x A Burning Brand
3x Unexpected Courage
3x Song of Travel

Events

3x Sneak Attack
2x Grim Resolve
3x Daeron's Runes
3x The Galadhrim's Greeting

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I will try it again, I think, I will go with 2 Lore heroes (Aragorn and possibly Beravor) plus Glorfindel (Spirit, of course), then add the Songs for Leadership. This way, a Lore hero is guaranteed, which is quite helpful (can play Asfaloth, if you have Glorfindel also, and you get the card draw and healing power of Lore right from the beginning, as well as the ally which can search for Song cards).

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, new deck has been built and tried once against the Dol Guldur scenario. And succeeded on the first attempt!

Of course, I will have to play it a few more times, but it's nice to be able to say, that this deck has a 100% success rate against Escape from Dol Guldur at this point.

Update: Having played a few more games by now, it feels really good. It certainly doesn't get close to 100%, but surely in the vincinity of 50%, maybe a bit more. Winning still requires some luck, especially not too much bad luck (in some situations, revealing a certain card from the encounter deck can be a real killer, like when you cannot defend all enemies and that single undefended enemy gains +3 attack strength... ouch!).

I will make a new post eventually, where I will explain the card choices also.

Here's the decklist with explanations.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Taken from the "Escaped from Dol Guldur" thread, since it better fits here.

narsil0420 wrote:
I got really close with Glorfindel/Eowyn/Frodo but forgot to add the Nazgul at the right time and had to restart

Yep, I think Spirit is the only sphere that can hope to beat this scenario solo.

You have the best overall questing ability, the best threat lowering ability, and still some decent fighting/defending. With the Zigil Miner and the Imladris Stargazer you can also accelerate the resource income.

Only important thing that it is lacking is healing ability (cant use Frodo all the time, and you have weak defense across the board), but with Eowyn and Stand and Fight, some healer allies could be added, so that might work out still.

Also card drawing isn't too great (though, the Ancient Mathom is pretty nice with all those ranger allies).

I might try a deck based on that (with the usual Spirit bells and whistles) and see how it goes.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
why a core set scenario cannot be beaten by only the. ore set cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It can, but not solo.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.