oly macfoogal
Belgium
flag msg tools
Hi all,

1. What happens if I have a hand size of 5 (because I've discarded 2 and picked up only 1 in order to remove a card in front of me) and I play the swap hands card? If I swap with someone with 6 cards in their hand do they end up with 5 and I with 6? I think this is what happens but please let me know.

2. If I wanted to be mean can I discard 2 and pick up 1 (even if I have nothing in front of me to remove) and then swap hands with someone? I imagine doing this a few times then using the swap hand card.

3. Also, can the profiteer join the geologist team? I think not but just confirming

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheng
Taiwan
Taipei City
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
olymacfoogal wrote:
Hi all,

1. What happens if I have a hand size of 5 (because I've discarded 2 and picked up only 1 in order to remove a card in front of me) and I play the swap hands card? If I swap with someone with 6 cards in their hand do they end up with 5 and I with 6? I think this is what happens but please let me know.

2. If I wanted to be mean can I discard 2 and pick up 1 (even if I have nothing in front of me to remove) and then swap hands with someone? I imagine doing this a few times then using the swap hand card.

3. Also, can the profiteer join the geologist team? I think not but just confirming

1. Yes.
2. I think not. But the rule might not be clear on this.
3. No. Geologist's "team" can never be deem the "winning team". They don't win or lose. (Unless 2 Geologists jail each other on the last turn.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Shaffstall
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) The way we play it is this:

o) You have a hand size of 5 because of discarding to remove an item in front of you

o) You play the swap hands card to swap hands. Your hand size is now 4, which you give to a play who has 6 cards. You get their 6 cards, they now have 4.

o) You draw as normal at the end of your turn, and now have 7 cards.

And yes, we are often mean enough to wait until our hand size is very small before swapping hands.

However, James is right, the rules officially say that the other player draws a card after you swap hands, not you. This helps to offset a bit the fact that they'll end up with fewer cards. You can still be mean about it (if you wait until your hand size is 1, for example, before swapping), but if you play by the official rules, it's not quite as mean.

2) The rules seem to suggest you can discard 1 to 3 cards and then choose how many to draw. But anyone who didn't draw the same number would be immediately suspect. Better to discard 2 to get rid of a card in front of you several times.

3) The rules say the Profiteer wins if the Gold Diggers or Saboteurs win. I'd take that to mean they can't join the Geologists.

Personally, we never play with the Profiteer. They've got no investment in the game, and get very little reward either way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jshaffstall wrote:

Personally, we never play with the Profiteer. They've got no investment in the game, and get very little reward either way.

That's not strictly true, since the profiteer's reward depends on how many people are on the winning team. The saboteurs are likely to have the smallest team, so the profiteer generally plays as a saboteur. However, unlike regular sabotuers, he might get something if the gold-diggers win. If the gold is found and there are no doors blocking, the profiteer isn't likely to get anything, so if it looks like a gold-digger victory, he will at least try to put doors in the way. If he can block the gold with both doors, he gets some pretty big payout (a bit less than the boss, but again the profiteer has more flexibility)

The profiteer is also likely to consider other players current gold counts. If another player has the lead, the profiteer may just play to mess up that player, because he doesn't want more points going to the lead.

Anyway, the round always ends with a victory for either the gold-diggers or the saboteurs:
a.) If everyone runs out of cards, the winning team is the saboteurs and the profiteer. You count all of those players to consider the payout. The geologists earn their points, but they aren't counted among the winning team.
b.) The gold is connected to a ladder, regardless of any doors. In this case, the winning team is counted as the boss, the profiteer, and any blue/green gold diggers that weren't blocked. (it is possible for both blue and green to be blocked). If neither blue/green were blocked, but the final connection was made by blue/green, then the other color is excluded. The geologists earn their points, but they aren't counted among the winning team.

It may be helpful to think of the profiteer as being on both teams, and the geologists being on neither team, for the purposes of end-game scoring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederic Moyersoen
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MasterDinadan wrote:

It may be helpful to think of the profiteer as being on both teams, and the geologists being on neither team, for the purposes of end-game scoring.

Completely right!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.