Hide
5 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Realms of Bounty Co-Op Adventure Playtest rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
belialal99 belialal99
msg tools
Realms of Bounty is a co-op adventure card game in early development. It is inspired by the D&D Adventure Board games and cooperative games in general. It uses a unique card-based system that allows for extreme flexibility and expansion without costly components.

Bounty's combat demands that the players analyze their foes' strengths, weaknesses, and behavior. I am aiming for every combat round to be a puzzle of sorts, with players coordinating their actions for maximum effect.
The player's party will also travel to exotic and dangerous locations. They may explore random locations and revisit familiar ones while accomplishing a unique adventure goal.

Bounty is in a very early prototype stage and development is largely being put on hold until I receive enough feedback on its core mechanics. Please give it a try and let me know what you think! Thank you for your time and consideration.

Download Link: https://rapidshare.com/files/3693244369/RealmsOfBountyV0_1.p...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hutchings
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In Australia, at least, there's a chocolate bar called a Bounty that's widespread enough that when you say 'bounty' people probably think of the chocolate bar rather than the general meaning of the word.

I don't know if that's true anywhere else, but if it is that might be a problem with the current title.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hutchings
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
belialal99 wrote:
It uses a unique card-based system that allows for extreme flexibility and expansion without costly components.

I wouldn't claim to have a unique system without providing evidence of its uniqueness.

This is because designers often claim to have a unique system without enough (or any) evidence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hutchings
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
* Your initital post, and the rules, don't say anything about the game's theme (it seems to be D&D-like fantasy).

* It seems unclear whether 'Characters' are separate to 'Heroes'. They have separate headings, but "heroes are the characters controlled by the players" and "any card that references characters also applies to heroes".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
belialal99 belialal99
msg tools
Thanks for the feedback, James.

I feel like what makes my core mechanics unique is that they're designed from the ground up with flexibility in mind. Every character is designed to function autonomously regardless of who it is allied with. The abstracted engagement system allows for tactical freedom without the need of a board or miniatures. The party travels by drawing from a deck, but the players also have the option of returning to previous areas to better deal with a threat. My priority is to allow for flexibility, even if that leaves the rules cumbersome by some standards.

Regarding the theme, I'm aiming for a fantasy setting but with a new take on many of the archetypes. Qentain is a bad example of this (typical fighter), but other conceptual heroes put a twist on the established fantasy tropes. Also, flavor text will go a long way towards establishing the setting.

Heroes and characters have different headings because some effects only apply to heroes. Any effect that applies to "characters" or "foes" also applies to eligible heroes, but any effect that applies to "heroes" does not refer to characters. I'll consider applying the "Character" header to heroes and delegating "Hero" to a subclass if this proves too inelegant.

Also, Bounty is a paper towel in America and apparently chocolate in Australia, but I'm alright with that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.