United States
Brown Deer
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So first, I heard about this game at GenCon 2011 called Super Dungeon Explore and skipped over it for some reason. Then, one of my co-workers bought it and said the minis were a pain. Then I read a review...then I watched http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL092C9EA6DAE4A1E7&feat...

(Btw, I saw Rodney at GenCon 2012 and meant to thank him but he's a quick walking bugger!)

Needless to say, I bought SDE a month ago and have been drooling over Caverns of Roxor ever since. I bought the expansion Saturday and sat down and played. Here are the thoughts.

Setup:
We only used the new monsters, none of the new heroes. We figured it was going to be "harder" so we brought a team we were comfortable with.

Components:
I'm not going to lie, I was a bit miffed here. Yes the minis are fully assembled (YAY!)...except for the bombadier turtles that need to have a lever and chain glued in (ok...not bad). However, upon looking at some of the stat cards I cannot tell what dice are supposed to be rolled. A quick glance at the card looks like it just has a white number with no dice in the background. Close inspection reveals what looks like a tiny blue die hidden behind the number. So I'm really not positive what dice to roll for certain monsters.

Also slightly confused in that you get two rocktop spawn points, but only one card. Seems a change in convention from the original box.

Rules Clarity:
Ah yes...the demon of game designers. I have a feeling RAW as not quite RAI. There is a turtle who can throw turtle shells at heroes. The card says "Move target...6 spaces."

Question 1: Do you have to be adjacent to the target shell?
Question 2: Does the shell have to move in a straight line?

These may both seem intuitively yes (and house ruled it that way), but it seems odd that these questions aren't answered right on the card. Other than that, it seemed that was the only issue with clarity.

Ok, ok, ok....I haven't talked about the actual game yet. Here we go:

What it adds:
So you get the rocktops and the fireflow denizens. I feel that these two sets of minions/denizens give the consul more options and make the game more tense in the middle without making it impossible.

The rocktops have lots of interesting choices to make. Do you leave them in attack mode or in shell mode? How many shells? There are lots of combos involving the shells so an extra layer of decision making for the consul here.

In addition you get a couple of big (2x2) minions with multiple HP and decent armor which can spawn at 8-bit for 3 skulls. This allows the consul to clog up a hallway (barring the ability to fly or teleport) which buys the consul precious precious time and pulls a Gandalf at Khazad-Dum.

So plus for the consul.

Yes there are also three more heroes, but I have not played with them so no comment.

What it doesn't do:
One of my group's major complaints is that everything is always on fire. Thematically, it did not change. The dungeon still sets everything on fire. I am very much looking forward to the next expansion where I can get a different feel.

Having said that, dungeon setup is still limited in scope. Either kobolds or rocktops. Dragons or Fireballs. At least there is a choice now, but the choice feels very shallow as minions don't really benefit the denizens, or vice versa.

Having said all that, I'm also pleased that the expansion has not changed my desire to play the game. So to sum it all up: if you like SDE no reason you should not get the expansion. It adds more options that I feel make the game more interesting for the consul without making it too hard for the players. The feel of the game survives completely intact and I look forward to more explorations of more dungeons.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiren Maelwulf
Canada
Richmond
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pigi314159 wrote:


Also slightly confused in that you get two rocktop spawn points, but only one card. Seems a change in convention from the original box.


In the base game you got 1 card per 2 kobald spawn points. The reason there are 2 cards is that there is 4 kobald spawns in the base game.

Quote:
Rules Clarity:
Ah yes...the demon of game designers. I have a feeling RAW as not quite RAI. There is a turtle who can throw turtle shells at heroes. The card says "Move target...6 spaces."

Question 1: Do you have to be adjacent to the target shell?
Question 2: Does the shell have to move in a straight line?


I've read this card before, the Roller. Both questions are answered on the card and/or in the rulebook. You have to be adjacent because there is no range to the action or the unit and per the rules anything without range can only target the model itself or something adjacent. As for moving the shell, it uses the term Push on the card and there is a full discription of Push rules in the rulebook.

Quote:
What it doesn't do:
One of my group's major complaints is that everything is always on fire. Thematically, it did not change. The dungeon still sets everything on fire. I am very much looking forward to the next expansion where I can get a different feel.


Do you mean the boss effect of Roxor?

Quote:
Having said that, dungeon setup is still limited in scope. Either kobolds or rocktops. Dragons or Fireballs. At least there is a choice now, but the choice feels very shallow as minions don't really benefit the denizens, or vice versa.


Honestly, if the denizens directly benifited certain minion types there would be less options as you would always use the combos that gave each other bonuses.

So, having played Caverns of Roxor, did you find the new monsters were harder or about the same power-level as the base games?

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Brown Deer
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Do you mean the boss effect of Roxor?


I mean the feel of the whole dungeon. Without CoR, Starfire, spawn points, and hot pots light you on fire.

With CoR Roxor, and every fireflow denizen lights you one fire. It almost feels like the only threat is being on fire.

I would love to hand out other status effects other than knockdown an fire. Think of all the potential out there for poison monsters, or ice monsters, etc. and the first expansion was...more fire. Not saying bad, just monotonous.

Quote:
So, having played Caverns of Roxor, did you find the new monsters were harder or about the same power-level as the base games?


Harder in the fact that here is a 2x2 3 HP monster with decent armor. It clogs space. Does anything hit harder or become more scary? No. Do tactics become more important? Yes.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Chester
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
Can you please post scans of the new cards so we can see? I'm dying to know what all the enemies can do!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sochan

Rhode Island
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eternaldream wrote:
Can you please post scans of the new cards so we can see? I'm dying to know what all the enemies can do!


You can see the new monsters here

http://forums.sodapopminiatures.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=644
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Davis
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pigi314159 wrote:
I bought the expansion Saturday and sat down and played.


Where did you buy the expansion? Everywhere I look, it is preorder only...

- SK
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sargonkid wrote:
pigi314159 wrote:
I bought the expansion Saturday and sat down and played.


Where did you buy the expansion? Everywhere I look, it is preorder only...

- SK


GenCon?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Davis
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Aging One wrote:
sargonkid wrote:
pigi314159 wrote:
I bought the expansion Saturday and sat down and played.


Where did you buy the expansion? Everywhere I look, it is preorder only...

- SK


GenCon?


That would make sense...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.