Subject: What is your favourite genre rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam Lawton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

As a matter of curiosity I am trying to find out what is the most popular genre for board/tile/card games.

Sorry if I missed off anyone's favourite genre but that is what the other section is for.

Personally, I find it very hard to choose one as I play great games from every genre but since my youth I have always had a special place in my heart for fantasy based games. I guess that's what happens when you are brought up on Heroquest....

I've separated off Zombies from Horror as there is an entire sub-genre of Zombie games which is probably bigger than other the Horror games combined. (This is an opinion based on no research whatsoever).

Historical will cover anything set in the past which isn't covered by one of the other genres. (Such as Through the Ages).

Poll
What is your favourite genre?
Zombies
Horror
Fantasy
Sci-Fi
Western
Historical
Other - Please specify
      91 answers
Poll created by Mmzomba
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuomas Korppi
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Actually, my favourite theme is 'abstract'.

When it comes to the genre, I have two favourites:

(1) Two-player full-information no-randomness board games.

(2) Card games between two two-man teams.

In the former ones, I like strategizing, and in the latter ones I like players adjusting their playing styles according to the partner's situation. Also, randomness works in these games, since you must communicate your random situation to the partner using game moves only (and not by gestures etc...)

For both types it is commonn that there are two teams/players playing against each other, so there are no problems such as kingmaking or revenge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
18xx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rogers
United States
Yakima
WA
flag msg tools
badge
Receive with simplicity everything that happens to you.
mb
Splotter Spellen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Neal
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Trains, trains and more trains.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harper Hobbs
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Military / War

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lawton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bhobs wrote:
Military / War

Would that fall under historical then or is that war in general, covering history and sci-fi etc?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty sure 'war' is a bigger subcategory than 'zombie'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Cthulhu Mythos and other Lovecraftian themes, which is probably distinct enough that I figured it fell under "other." Fantasy is probably a close second, and call me crazy but I actually really like the dry "you're a trader and you're trading stuff to impress some dude, also help build this wall" style themes many euros get lambasted for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lawton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:

Good point well made.

Quote:
The Cthulhu Mythos and other Lovecraftian themes, which is probably distinct enough that I figured it fell under "other." Fantasy is probably a close second, and call me crazy but I actually really like the dry "you're a trader and you're trading stuff to impress some dude, also help build this wall" style themes many euros get lambasted for.

I was thinking about the Lovecraft mythos which is why I included horror. Lovercraft is, after all, the forefather of all modern day horror.

There is obviously going to be a lot of cross over between genres but I think the fact that I am more of an Ameritrash fan than a Euros fan is quite evident by the options specified. I do still enjoy Euros but just not as much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mmzomba wrote:
scifiantihero wrote:

Good point well made.

Quote:

I was thinking about the Lovecraft mythos which is why I included horror. Lovercraft is, after all, the forefather of all modern day horror.

There is obviously going to be a lot of cross over between genres but I think the fact that I am more of an Ameritrash fan than a Euros fan is quite evident by the options specified. I do still enjoy Euros but just not as much.

I accidentally left out some words, meant to say "distinct enough from horror that yadda yadda." It's horror but it's such a specific formula that it probably deserves it's own category. Besides, it often gravitates pretty far from the horror roots without losing itself, you can adapt it to hack n slash fantasy or pulpy noir action easily enough. Potato potahto, I suppose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally voted Sci-fi since at least half of my top ten have sci-fi themes, but, honestly, my favorite genres/settings have always been a pretty equal mix of science fiction and fantasy - so much so that I usually label them together as "the fantastical" when I'm describing it to others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantasy for me, obvs! Though I'd play pretty much any board game once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lawton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Relatively there aren't that many games directly tied to Lovecraft (although you could argue that any game with a monster/alien has links), compared to Zombie games themselves.

However, I am now feeling a pang of guilt for not making a specific option for it.

I also wanted to only allow one answer as otherwise a lot of people (me included) would just be ticking everything, and I wanted to get the top votes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
I want multiple choices in that poll!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lawton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's for version2.0 zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julie Buse
United States
Yakima
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
historical Military / War

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cube pushing euro's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Maston
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantasy's a winner for me. Lovecraftian horror comes a very, very close second. Tentacles - what's not to love?

Lastly, ancient history (particularly the Peloponnesian War) to complete the holy trinity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lawton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very thorough answer. Love it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.