Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Taylor
2097 wrote:
What’s the point of the Taylor? Can you win with Taylor, Jeweller or Church?
How.
I’m curious, I’m just getting into Caylus.

I've never seen it used or used them myself as a dominant part of the strategy, but if scores are close, and the board gets filled up with workers, these buildings aren't a bad way to squeeze more points out of what you have.

They all get you more points than just keeping the resources on their own, but in the grand scheme of things, the resources can usually be put to better use in the castle or with prestige buildings.

It all depends on what others are doing, when these buildings come out and how many rounds are left available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Moore
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have played many Ipod games of Caylus but very few FtF games, so take the following, Under Advisement.

The important bit about Tailor & co. is that they are very little use if they aren't got out as early as possible. A side bit of getting them out is that they slow down cube production and thus derail people obsessed with getting into the castle; which gives you more time, as well, to make points off of them.

Can you win using them? I have built and used them, and won games. But these games were against AI opponents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gar Per
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2097 wrote:
What’s the point of the Taylor? Can you win with Taylor, Jeweller or Church?
How.
I’m curious, I’m just getting into Caylus.

I've heard of an off the wall strategy used that includes the church as part of a points engine. I can't remember exactly how it worked, but I think it was something like this:

Build Church.
Use Church's Favor on the building track to overbuild church with Residence
Re-build Church
etc, etc, etc
While doing this, save up for prestige buildings.
Eventually, build Church and leave it, using favor for prestige building.
In addition, you hopefully have extra money to hit up the church you have now left for points since you have been overbuilding it with residences repeatedly.

I'm sure there are other details in there I don't know (like getting favors in other phases and using them to build the church perhaps?), but all I heard was mention of it.

Never seen it in action and it seems like it would be easily prevented and is pretty weak on its own, but could probably be combined with other buildings for points (since you are on the building track) or castle batches (since you did have to get favors to get up that building track)

But otherwise, I believe them to just be situational buildings for dumping resources into victory points, most often toward the end of the game or when better actions are not available and you have an excess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Adrian
Canada
Edmonton
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
nate_lockhart wrote:

Build Church.
Re-build Church
etc, etc, etc
While doing this, save up for prestige buildings.
Eventually, build Church and leave it, using favor for prestige building.
In addition, you hopefully have extra money to hit up the church you have now left for points since you have been overbuilding it with residences repeatedly.

Clever!

I've used the church as a point supplement when I had denier left over from the 6 coin Peddler. I had no access to the blue buildings anymore, so the 3 uses that gave me an extra 15 points made a big difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikael Halonen
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmb
I once tested a strategy where I built a lot of green buildings early to earn a lot of money and then spent them on the church and the bank each turn. I did not get any good blue buildings so I went last but only by ten points in a very close game.

I think this can sometimes be a viable strategy, especially if many players are fighting for the castle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2097 wrote:
(Just realized that it’s spelled tailor with an i…)

Hmm, building many of the stone buildings also give three pp per cube, and they also give extra when you visit them and you don’t have to bother with building residences and building over them.
That’s very competitive with all prestige buildings:

Monument 2⅓ + two favors
Statue 2⅓
Granary 2½
Library 2½ + income
College 2⅘ + favor
Theater 2⅘ + favor
Weaver 3
Cathedral 3⅛
Hotel 3⅕ + two income

Using the taylor, I mean tailor, gives two pp per cube, minus the pp you’re giving the player that built it, for visiting there.

Now, you do realize all this advice we are giving you about Caylus comes with a price. You now have to tell US everything you know about Go.

Guys...check out her one paragraph review of Go. If this poster has a published literary work, I would buy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ddd ddd
msg tools
2097 wrote:

It’s interesting that the provost gives Caylus the same tension as a game with randomness. The further to the edge I place it, the less chance of actually getting the item there—but it’s caused by opponent action, not luck of the deck.

yeah in fact i dont see the tension, its more like planning
you know you have to defend your moves and you have to plan your game accordingly, or you know you will get countered but you try to make the opponent pay a too high price for it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.