Popular Tags: [View All]
Lawcomic
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
The stuff that dreams are made of...
mbmbmbmbmb
How often will expansions be published? Is it going to be monthly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fiala
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I doubt there will be monthly expansions, and I expect we won't see anything for a few months to start with. FFG's been busy getting Netrunner out, and it's not even going to be in stores until next month.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Kinslow
United States
Piperton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
↳ Do one brain damage ↳ Do one brain damage ↳ End the run
badge
Real heroes wear pink.
mb
Once things get rolling it should be monthly (or so) expansions and the MSRP should be like $15.

Certainly not breaking the bank.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Jamet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like a big expansion soon with:

For each Corp: 6 new cards = 24 new cards
For each Runner: 8 new cards = 24 new cards
For each Neutral: 10 new cards = 20 new cards
= 68 new cards x 3 = 204 cards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Owens
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pyjam wrote:
I would like a big expansion soon with:

For each Corp: 6 new cards = 24 new cards
For each Runner: 8 new cards = 24 new cards
For each Neutral: 10 new cards = 20 new cards
= 68 new cards x 3 = 204 cards

I'm guessing that the first larger expansion will introduce a 4th runner faction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shinners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
jcfiala wrote:
I doubt there will be monthly expansions,

For their other LCGs, they tend to release on a monthly schedule once a chapter pack (or whatever they call it for that particular LCG) cycle is completed and at the printers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, we're used to seeing 20x3 expansion packs, but I wonder if 30x2 might be more appropriate for this game? The lumpiness of the Core Set (and the resulting approval of it) makes me consider it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Wraith
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan (MI)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The question will be what style the release is. Until recently, the LCGs went through a six-pack cycle with a continuous theme. One pack would be released each month until the cycle was completed and then a new one would start. In addition to that, occasionally they would print "deluxe" expansions that had new cards and reprints of cards from earlier cycles in them (I think as a way to allow people to catch up with current sets.) However, they just announced that CoC will now be going to deluxe expansions only. I think that's unique to that game, as the field is probably waning. I have a friend who played in the GoT tourney and he said there 90 people in the joust, compared to about 30 in the CoC tourney. HPL simply isn't as big a license as GoT (especially since the HBO series began.) I'm not sure what the audiences are like for the other games, since basically no one plays them around here. I imagine that, with the built in audience from the previous version, Netrunner will be able to sustain itself on the regular cycle format.

It's too bad, really. I love the CoC game and would gladly play it regularly if I could find opponents in my area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jackwraith wrote:
It's too bad, really. I love the CoC game and would gladly play it regularly if I could find opponents in my area.

I thought CoC could be played solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawcomic
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
The stuff that dreams are made of...
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:

Based on how the game works, I don't see how that would be fun at all. I think CoC is well done, but haven't been able to get into deck construction due to relative lack of opponents 'round here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Wraith
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan (MI)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
Jackwraith wrote:

Not to my knowledge. I mean, it could like any game can be played solo. But it's not a game that functions against a "master deck" like LotR or Rune Age. The object is to win 3 stories before your opponent does by winning contests between characters based on 4 different stats (Terror, Combat, Arcana, and Investigation.) It's very much a competitive, 2-player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jackwraith wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:
Jackwraith wrote:

Not to my knowledge. I mean, it could like any game can be played solo. But it's not a game that functions against a "master deck" like LotR or Rune Age. The object is to win 3 stories before your opponent does by winning contests between characters based on 4 different stats (Terror, Combat, Arcana, and Investigation.) It's very much a competitive, 2-player game.

Sorry, confused CoC w/ LotR. It's LotR that can be played solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
malhaku wrote:
I'm guessing that the first larger expansion will introduce a 4th runner faction.
Doubtful. I think they'll wait longer, so there is a larger card base before adding an actual new faction.

If they go with deluxe expansions from the start, I could see them adding two new identity cards per box (one Corp, one Runner).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew McGrath
United States
OLYMPIA
WA - Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm assuming new identity cards can be attached to the factions currently available. For instance, a new criminal runner.

What are the corp factions, btw?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Owens
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jhaelen wrote:
malhaku wrote:
Doubtful. I think they'll wait longer, so there is a larger card base before adding an actual new faction.

If they go with deluxe expansions from the start, I could see them adding two new identity cards per box (one Corp, one Runner).

I'll be honest, my prediction is based on the assumption that they start with the smaller data/chapter/adventure packs first. I look at AGOT LCG and for that game the first few larger expansions added the other houses/factions and then later larger ones had more focus on expanding existing houses.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are new identities in the smaller packs, but again that is working on the assumption they start with the smaller stuff and save the larger items for down the road.

Either way, if nothing else, I know we'll at least see agendas for all corps pop up in the first expansion (either small or big) just because right now they represent the most limiting factor in deck design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
See Park
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
malhaku wrote:
jhaelen wrote:
malhaku wrote:

I'll be honest, my prediction is based on the assumption that they start with the smaller data/chapter/adventure packs first. I look at AGOT LCG and for that game the first few larger expansions added the other houses/factions and then later larger ones had more focus on expanding existing houses.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are new identities in the smaller packs, but again that is working on the assumption they start with the smaller stuff and save the larger items for down the road.

Either way, if nothing else, I know we'll at least see agendas for all corps pop up in the first expansion (either small or big) just because right now they represent the most limiting factor in deck design.

But they haven't added new spheres for LoTR. It's more likely that each monthly expansion will have a new identity for one faction. Perhaps 7 packs per cycle, adding one new one to each faction and then a "deluxe" expansion followed by 7 more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Gadgaard
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bhz1 wrote:
You know, we're used to seeing 20x3 expansion packs, but I wonder if 30x2 might be more appropriate for this game? The lumpiness of the Core Set (and the resulting approval of it) makes me consider it.

I certainly will do nothing bad for sales

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Harujongil wrote:
What are the corp factions, btw?

Jinteki, Haas-Bioroid, NBN, and Weyland.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exceptio probat regulam
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
bhz1 wrote:

If they change the rules so that decks are limited to the number of cards provided, and there's clearly no value in having a third card, this would be fine.

If they handle it like the core sets I'd consider it evidence that FFG are not a trustworthy supplier for a "subscription" product like an LCG.

IMO the jury is still out on whether the Core Set packaging is "fair", but either way it can't be claimed that it was a backstab - the packaging is consistent with other FFG LCGs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Finkel
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been thinking today about what the theme of a fourth runner faction would be. I came up with two ideas that I liked: a faction of runners dedicated to removing corporations' unchecked world power (the political hacktivists, if you will), and runners indirectly supported by corps to sabotage the competition. I dunno, though, the three factions of the core set seem to pretty easily trisect the archetypes of cyberpunk protagonists. I don't see how there could be too many factions of them, although obviously identity diversity is a very open space.

With the corporations, though, there are huge swaths of unexplored territory: medical companies, military industries, internet corporations, energy providers, financial institutions, information brokers, and all sorts of other interests. Obviously they won't cover too many more, but it's pretty staggering to see how much room there is for menacing superpowered corporate interests in the world.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Twentier
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Personally I wouldn't mind seeing a corp expansion one month and a runner expansion the next, 20 cards divided over 4 factions(corp) and neutral is 4 cards of each faction and 4 neutral, 20 cards over 3 factions(runner) and neutral is either 5 of each with 5 neutrals, or 6 of each with 2 neutrals. If they try to put all 7 factions into a single expansion I could see 2 new cards per faction with 3 neutrals of each side, it doesn't seem like that would add a lot to the game, just my opinion.

Haven't played any LCGs before, anyone with experience who would be able to tell me if their expansions are centered around single factions or if they try to split them up amongst all of them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Twentier
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Azeltir wrote:
... a faction of runners dedicated to removing corporations' unchecked world power (the political hacktivists, if you will),...

I'm not trying to be a troll here, but wouldn't these runners be considered Anarchs, or are you thinking of runners who would want a stronger central government that didn't have corporation's in their back pocket?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Gadgaard
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gyc365 wrote:
bhz1 wrote:

If they change the rules so that decks are limited to the number of cards provided, and there's clearly no value in having a third card, this would be fine.

If they handle it like the core sets I'd consider it evidence that FFG are not a trustworthy supplier for a "subscription" product like an LCG.

IMO the jury is still out on whether the Core Set packaging is "fair", but either it can't be claimed that it was a backstab - the packaging is consistent with other FFG LCGs.

I was so ready to jump on the new version of NR, but this line of thinking has me wondering and worrying. I think I'll wait until FFG has stated the contents of expansions before taking the leap. If they include 2 of each in each expansion while allowing 3 in the rules, I think I'll just pass completely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Azeltir wrote:
I've been thinking today about what the theme of a fourth runner faction would be. I came up with two ideas that I liked: a faction of runners dedicated to removing corporations' unchecked world power (the political hacktivists,

This would be another Anarch identity, just not Noise.

The other sounds like a subset of Criminals, but to make their theme work it would demand some unique card types (ex. underground Haas Bioroid Runner programs). 'Course, it would be silly to have a Hass Bioroid funded Runner face off against a HB Corp player, but not beyond the pale of reason.

Probably wouldn't happen, though.

DenGad wrote:

I was so ready to jump on the new version of NR, but this line of thinking has me wondering and worrying. I think I'll wait until FFG has stated the contents of expansions before taking the leap. If they include 2 of each in each expansion while allowing 3 in the rules, I think I'll just pass completely.

While it's fair to say that FFG hasn't released details of their expansions, to release only 2 cards in each package not only would be a departure from the policy that otherwise blankets all their other LCGs, but be marketed at a lower price (as packs were before they were reprinted in x3 cycles -- yes, FFG has rereleased almost all cycles of all games in a x3 distribution)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Gadgaard
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
While it's fair to say that FFG hasn't released details of their expansions, to release only 2 cards in each package not only would be a departure from the policy that otherwise blankets all their other LCGs, but be marketed at a lower price (as packs were before they were reprinted in x3 cycles -- yes, FFG has rereleased almost all cycles of all games in a x3 distribution)

Yeah, I know. However they have used different distributions on their base sets so who knows.
I like to deckbuild so having the allowed number of each card would have been a big thing. The base set being as it is, that won't happen.
Reactions from the first tournament seems to suggest that with the number of factions in the base set, there is very limited variation in deckbuilding, so expansions are going to be a must - hence their distribution becomes a vital point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.