Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ruben Rigillo
Italy
Roma
Rm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going deeper in the ASLSK world and I find it a really really (double is not a misprint!) intriguing Game Sys. The feeling of satisfaction in playing a ASLSK game in an adequate way is....well...is something that who's reading this lines should know already.
These days I was through my elder brother SL and its Gamettes Rules, just to see how it developed and if I can use ASLSK rules to play that Scenarios.
(if someone interested http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/843644/how-about-playing-sl-...).
I found a very interesting Crescendo of Doom paragraph (pg.74):

"As the complete SL game system unfolds it becomes harder and harder to incorporate all of the many rules which the system has to offer if only due to the shortcomings of the human memory. [...].
All results stand once play has progressed past the point of commission. In other words, if an error is discovered "after" play as passed that point, the game cannot be "backed up" to correct the error, even if such error is in violation of a rule. [...].
In essence, the player's knowledge of the system and methodical application of its benefits as opportunities present themselves, becomes an added skill factor better reflecting the abilities of an experienced battlefield commander."

I think it could be the right approach to the game.
Veterans and newbie POWs (points of view...not prisoners of war)
very welcome.

Ruben
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played ASL with at least a couple dozen F2F players ranging from fresh newbies to 20-year veterans. Outside of tournaments, nearly all of them have treated rules compliance as a collaborative effort, reminding each other of missed DRM's, rally/repair opportunities, etc. There are just a million opportunities for errors and oversights - helping one another with those makes the game move faster and stay enjoyable. Serious tournament players may choose to hold one another to their errors for the sake of preparation, and that's fine too. But I don't think I've ever played someone who would take offense at a casual player backing up to take a forgotten rally during Prep Fire. Life is too short, and staying friendly with your opponents means you get to play more ASL.

Now, if play has actually progressed beyond an important decision point then you're probably stuck with your error. But even then, some of my opponents would suggest some kind of fudge or compromise rather than just playing on. I wouldn't expect that, though. And obviously if you're playing in a tournament then you shouldn't expect any help from your opponent. But for friendly play, I think you'll have a lot more fun by cooperating with the rules rather than seeing them as a test of skill. There are no shortage of opportunities for a skillful player to beat the tar out of a casual player just based on strategy and tactics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perry Cocke
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I probably have more experience than Todd, but I agree with everything he said, with the exception that even in tournament play there can be a lot of room for flexibility.

That said, the full ASL rules have rule A.2 that includes a version of that CoD prescription "All results stand once play has progressed past the point of commission."

A strict adherence to A.2 could help improve your game and your playing speed as long as you are not afraid to make mistaks and drive on. but I don't really recommend it for friendly play. although it certainly does not preclude friendliness of play.

Never having played CoD, I find it very interesting that it contains the forerunner of A.2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
perrycocke wrote:
I probably have more experience than Todd...

LOL. A master of understatement, as usual.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruben Rigillo
Italy
Roma
Rm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say I didn't read that lines as an invitation to unfairiness but
just as a help to not complicate more a Game already much complicated by itself.
Backing to correct mistakes could be very frustrating and the fact that there is a Rule to "legalize" that mistakes is something that help players (and novices like me!) going ahead....indeed with the feeling to do better next game!
I agree at all about the mutual help in playing a correct game. In tournaments also! What's the fun in winning just because your opponent missed some DRMs?
Personally speaking I like much more to lose with a great opponent playing together a great game, than win a weak game with a weak opponent!
Long live to fairplay and to Great Games!!!

...well...the best is to win a great Game with a great opponent....whistle

Ruben

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.