Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Spartacus: A Game of Blood & Treachery» Forums » Variants

Subject: Multiple gladiator fights? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris fromCanada
msg tools
I haven't played the game too many times yet, but it seems like it should be doable to allow for multiple gladiators per side? I think it'd be a nice way to make the combat a little more tactical.

The actual fighting could be pretty straightforward, I think. Roll-off initiative like normal, move and attack/defend as per normal, except the extra guys can impede movement.

The part I'm less clear on is how you could arrange how many gladiators should be involved in a fight. Does the host decide, or the invitee? How about if the invitee doesn't have enough gladiators + slaves?

There's also how to handle the betting, but I think that's not as difficult. Winner can probably stay the same, 1:1, but I'd figure injury/decapitation should also drop to 1:1. More guys fighting, better odds of being able to call whether there'll be an injury or decapitation.

Any thoughts from other players?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So Tall
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Daks wrote:
I haven't played the game too many times yet, but it seems like it should be doable to allow for multiple gladiators per side? I think it'd be a nice way to make the combat a little more tactical.

The actual fighting could be pretty straightforward, I think. Roll-off initiative like normal, move and attack/defend as per normal, except the extra guys can impede movement.

The part I'm less clear on is how you could arrange how many gladiators should be involved in a fight. Does the host decide, or the invitee? How about if the invitee doesn't have enough gladiators + slaves?

There's also how to handle the betting, but I think that's not as difficult. Winner can probably stay the same, 1:1, but I'd figure injury/decapitation should also drop to 1:1. More guys fighting, better odds of being able to call whether there'll be an injury or decapitation.

Any thoughts from other players?


I dont see any problem with a 2v2 variant - the board is symmetrical enough you could figure out sides. This would add a considerable more amount of risk with no increase in reward for combatants, and getting more than 1 influence from a gladiatorial fight might not be so fair.

There is a somewhat easy way to make the betting fair though: Make Injury mean at least 2 injuries, and decapitation mean at least 2 decaps.

Free for all fights wouldn't work though. It would suffer from the fact that everyone would wait for everyone else to make the first attack.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris fromCanada
msg tools
I was thinking of still having two sides to the matches rather than a free-for-all. There would be an advantage to using multiple there (better odds of cornering fast guys, get two favour tiles instead of one on victory).

You're right about there not being much incentive to make the first attack, though. I think there's already kind of that problem with the base rules -- you don't have much reason to move into a range where the other guy can attack you if you aren't able to attack first. I don't think that's covered by the rules, but I should take another look. If not, we were joking we might do a house rule that if three rounds go by where nobody advances when they could have, the host would have the option to have both gladiators decapitated.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jackman
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Daks wrote:
I was thinking of still having two sides to the matches rather than a free-for-all. There would be an advantage to using multiple there (better odds of cornering fast guys, get two favour tiles instead of one on victory).

You're right about there not being much incentive to make the first attack, though. I think there's already kind of that problem with the base rules -- you don't have much reason to move into a range where the other guy can attack you if you aren't able to attack first. I don't think that's covered by the rules, but I should take another look. If not, we were joking we might do a house rule that if three rounds go by where nobody advances when they could have, the host would have the option to have both gladiators decapitated. ;)


If stats are equal, then yes, most people do not have an incentive to attack first. If your speed is higher, you can just have the opponent move first, then move up. Win initiatve the next round, and you get the first hit.

But in a 1v1 if stats are the same, there is no real downside to moving up either. Its going to come down to the initiative roll who gets hit first either way.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Baron
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We managed to have a 2v2 "finale" at the end of our very first game using existing initiative roll rules as written, and the combat aspect worked exceptionally well. You will need extra dice though...

good point about the betting aspect, specifically with the injury-decapitation betting. we just did the 2v2 for fun.

apparently the designers are already working on an expansion with 2v2, 2v1, etc. rules

I hope they also include lions, tigers, and bears...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vicious Tiger
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skimming wrote:
I hope they also include lions, tigers, and bears...


and Theokoles - The Shadow of Death ...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Brewington
United States
Crane
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
victiger wrote:
skimming wrote:
I hope they also include lions, tigers, and bears...


and Theokoles - The Shadow of Death ...


He's in the marketplace. No special abilities but the scary picture on his card
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle C
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
Ah eee hah!
badge
YUB NUB!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
skimming wrote:

apparently the designers are already working on an expansion with 2v2, 2v1, etc. rules

Yeah, Kovaleski told me at GenCon that their first planned expansion was to incorporate multi-gladiator fights and other variants. I think he said they were shooting for late Q4 '12 / early Q1 '13.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Lloyd
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree. 2 v 2 worked just fine with the rules as written. Everyone just rolls initiative and goes in that order. It allows a little more movement tactics. I think 3 v 1 and 2 v 1 would work fine too. And one of the designers I talked with promised a tiger in the expansion!

Glad to see you on here Baron. You must be looking forward to our next game!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jackman
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Brewmiester2020 wrote:
victiger wrote:
skimming wrote:
I hope they also include lions, tigers, and bears...


and Theokoles - The Shadow of Death ...


He's in the marketplace. No special abilities but the scary picture on his card :)


I think he is the only gladiator with 5 attack, but I'd have to check. Maybe no special ability, but a gladiator with 5 attack and pretty much any weapon is pretty f'in special, haha.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Roach
msg tools
mbmb
I've been testing out some new rules for more than two gladiator fights. Mostly with 2v1. I just think having a player sit out while two others are going at it isn't too fun. So far the rules are pretty simple and much more fun than 1v1. Movement means a lot more and I've added side by side, flanking, dodge, and movement restrictions. Email me if you'd like to try these rules and let me know how they work for you. These also beg for new weapons and armor which I've designed. I plan on adding some matches of convicts vs executioner. 3v1 Very much a part of Spartacus... Great game with even more action. And if the weaker gladiators defeat the tough one then they can turn on each other or one might step aside in the middle of the match to let the other die. Love the betrayal possibilities here. Betting can be the same too with a team bet or individual. Just doesn't wok perfect with the board.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Brewington
United States
Crane
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Saan wrote:
Brewmiester2020 wrote:
victiger wrote:
skimming wrote:
I hope they also include lions, tigers, and bears...


and Theokoles - The Shadow of Death ...


He's in the marketplace. No special abilities but the scary picture on his card


I think he is the only gladiator with 5 attack, but I'd have to check. Maybe no special ability, but a gladiator with 5 attack and pretty much any weapon is pretty f'in special, haha.


The promo Dolor card has a 5 ATK as well. The big problem with Theokoles is his 2 SPD. Give him a net and a trident and it is going to be ugly. Maybe even as ugly as him.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.