Van Willis
United States
Kaysville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm itching to hear what GenCon attendees thought of the prototype and I've got some geekgold to give away to prove it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Old & Chaotic Evil Bob
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I'm not the Admin you are looking for
badge
O&CE Bob has Retired as a Geek Admin
mbmbmbmbmb
posting to see if I can get Van out of a subscription loop

Re: subscriptions getting "stuck"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Horton
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a demo with 5 other people and it plays very similar to the original Resistance game. One player still nominates players to go on quests and then everyone votes on whether they can go or not.

In our game, I played as the Assassin and also nominated the first group of 2 people to go on the quest. I chose myself and one of Arthur's knights. The vote to let the quest go forward passed and I bluffed and let the quest succeed. The next two groups were chosen by players loyal to Arthur and they both happened to choose parties composed of players all loyal to Arthur. Although myself and the other player loyal to Mordred voted against both groups, we were in the minority. Both quests succeeded and it looked like Arthur and his knights had won the game but I, as the assassin, had one final opportunity to pull out the win if I correctly identified Merlin.

There was one player in particular that had been directing traffic with Arthur's loyal subjects so I chose him. My suspicions were confirmed and we won the game.

The Merlin/Assassin roles definately add a subtle twist to the game. Merlin knows the identities of the traitors at the start of the game and can give subtle clues to his team members. However, he has to be careful because if he makes himself too obvious, it means an automatic win for the Mordred team. This is how our game played out. I definately think the new roles add another subtle layer to the game.

I apologize for any errors in grammar/spelling. I wrote this hurriedly on my phone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Helme
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ChildeRoland wrote:
Merlin knows the identities of the traitors at the start of the game
Thanks that was great!! Can you describe how Merlin learns who the traitors are?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateenyweeny
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Raks Raks Raks
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's similar to the old commander variant, after the spies open their eyes, they raise their hands, close their eyes, then Merlin opens his eyes, looks, closes his eyes, spies lower their hands and the game proceeds as normal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
I plan on running a Resistance PBF with the Merlin mechanics very soon. Anyone wanna join? Do so here: PBF 33: 7p Commander/Merlin+Inquisitor variant (REBELS WIN, 3-0)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Horton
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slinkydink wrote:
If it's similar to the old commander variant, after the spies open their eyes, they raise their hands, close their eyes, then Merlin opens his eyes, looks, closes his eyes, spies lower their hands and the game proceeds as normal.

This, but everyone put their hands on the table and we raised our thumbs instead of our hands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn George
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Open your eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
ChildeRoland wrote:
slinkydink wrote:

This, but everyone put their hands on the table and we raised our thumbs instead of our hands.

Sounds good. You're a lot less likely to hear or sense a thumb going up next to you than someone's arm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pau Pitarch Fernández
Japan
Setagaya
Tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for sharing! Did you play with any other roles besides Merlin and Assassin? (Travis has mentioned other roles like Percival, Mordred, Morgana, Oberon and the Lady of the Lake.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caitlin
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Who took the Bomp from the Bompalompalomp? Who took the Ram from the Ramalamading dong?
mbmbmbmbmb
willdeworde wrote:
Thanks for sharing! Did you play with any other roles besides Merlin and Assassin? (Travis has mentioned other roles like Percival, Mordred, Morgana, Oberon and the Lady of the Lake.)

Our group played three games.

Our first game had Percival and Mordred in it. Percival (blue) knows who Merlin is, and is trying to protect his identity. Mostly by trying to pretend to be Merlin. Mordred (red) does *not* appear to Merlin as a bad guy.

I read about what the other roles did, but I don't remember anymore.

-----

A little bit about how it played: the first game we had, the spies (I can't remember the thematic version of this) won.

Our next two games dropped down to six players, and we chose to keep only Merlin and the Assassin roles (although, you can choose to add any of the roles you want). First game, good guys won, I was Merlin. I said something that I thought was obvious, that another good guy picked up on, but I guess the bad guys missed it. Assassin killed the wrong person. He continued guessing, he guessed everyone *but* me. So I guess I did something right? The next game, good guys won again. I was accusing a fellow good guy and picked up on a hint from who I thought was Merlin that I was wrong. So I started trusting her, and then we won. Assassins still guessed incorrectly.

I'm still not sure how I feel about the Assassin/Merlin mechanic. It probably takes some experienced players to get some meta playing in there to pick up on the subtly, and if not experienced, at least 7 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.