Popular Tags: [View All]
jp
South Africa
Pretoria
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've managed to dig out my old Netrunner stuff from storage to build some decks and show our gaming group until we can get the FFG release.

And was wondering how compatible they are with Android:Netrunner ?
Would we be able to use the old cards with some minor changes or not at all ?

Has somebody tried adding them together ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While some cards may have the same function and some may have the exact same stats, trying to combine the two sets of cards together won't work. Too many tweaks to the valuation of credits/bits, not to mention the complete reworking of the Trace & Bad Publicity mechanisms. If you're trying to find use for the old cards, you might as well just use them a proxy cardstock and print the new card images, if you're feeling cheap.

Trust me, you'll like moving to the new one entirely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They are not really compatible. Some cards have been reprinted, and some have had costs/strengths altered significantly.

Certain base mechanics have changed (like Traces and Bad Publicity) to the point where using old cards that reference them would break stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Micheal Keane
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Pictured: Rags Raggerson, successful businesscat
mb
Some select cards are the same but most have been retooled or factioned.

The card sets are balanced for their environments. ANR is balanced for factions (strengths and weaknesses) and aggressive interactive play. The old cards would probably end up being mostly over or under powered in comparison, especially if you were playing them as neutral cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Thoukydidis
Luxembourg
Esch-sur-Alzette
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since we're on the subject I do plan (long term) to make an unofficial port of the old cards to the new system, by reworking their stats if needed to be more in line with the power level of the new ones. Those will then be used for online play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DbZer0 wrote:
Since we're on the subject I do plan (long term) to make an unofficial port of the old cards to the new system, by reworking their stats if needed to be more in line with the power level of the new ones. Those will then be used for online play.

Why? If your goal is an online version of the game, why not do a version of the new one instead?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
darksurtur
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DbZer0 wrote:

Or ... you can just wait for FFG to do it. They will undoubtedly be drawing very heavily from the old Netrunner pool for the first several years of their expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beyer
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
more.
badge
I started a topic about the cards that can be easily proxied for the new version covering that exact topic. It's not inclusive as of yet since I think I'm the only one in here interested in this right now, but the first ten or or so cards that translate directly should be in there.
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/842624/list-of-easily-availa...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Thoukydidis
Luxembourg
Esch-sur-Alzette
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bhz1 wrote:
DbZer0 wrote:

Why? If your goal is an online version of the game, why not do a version of the new one instead?

I am going to do exactly that actually. First I create an OCTGN plugin for ANR, then, time and mood permitting, I will do a fan-project to migrate the old cards to the new system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Twentier
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
I don't see where a fan based expansion, even one based on the original would be used. If I am going to try to play this online, it's because I want to try to tweak a deck, having cards that are not in the actual sets in the metagame will make that teching useless and create a Rift between old players who want to use the "new" old cards and the players who are trying to just play the new game, which means a smaller player base for each game. Seems counterproductive, just my 2 cents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Thoukydidis
Luxembourg
Esch-sur-Alzette
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really think it would be such a problem really. Old players want just as well to tweak decks and play with the official cards. In fact I think very few people would care to use a fan set (which is the case for most fan sets) due to balance concerns. Again, this is not set in stone, just an idea I had.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DbZer0 wrote:
I don't really think it would be such a problem really. Old players want just as well to tweak decks and play with the official cards.

Then play with the official cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jp
South Africa
Pretoria
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all for the informative posts

Guess I'll just play a few games with the old ones till I can get my hands on the new set /excite

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Thoukydidis
Luxembourg
Esch-sur-Alzette
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bhz1 wrote:
DbZer0 wrote:
I don't really think it would be such a problem really. Old players want just as well to tweak decks and play with the official cards.

What is your problem, seriously? You have an issue with others doing something you don't like to do?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DbZer0 wrote:
bhz1 wrote:
DbZer0 wrote:

What is your problem, seriously? You have an issue with others doing something you don't like to do?

What you're trying to do is play the new game without buying the new game. If this isn't accurate, please correct me.

Any attempt to combine both games is going to result in 1) unbalanced play, and 2) a complete inability to play the game with anyone who doesn't have the old cards.

I'm still trying to discern your intent behind this. You're playing a dead CCG. That means you shouldn't expect the new version to be compatible. If it was, why would anyone buy the new version?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Thoukydidis
Luxembourg
Esch-sur-Alzette
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've already bought the new game. My intent for re-using the old cards is the same reason people make fan sets.

I still don't understand why you think there's some sinister motive, and why you're so against people doing what they want with their time. You against home rules as well?

Also, you seem to be missing the fact that I'm talking in the context of an online version. I.e. everyone will have access to the cards as long as they want to use them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DbZer0 wrote:
I've already bought the new game. My intent for re-using the old cards is the same reason people make fan sets.

I still don't understand why you think there's some sinister motive, and why you're so against people doing what they want with their time. You against home rules as well?

My apologies then. I was not aware of that.

In any case, you're on your own trying to combine the games. In my opinion the tweaks to traces and the redefinition of Bad Publicity will make many old cards unbalanced/unusable, not to mention the fact that the power levels of old cards are based on a rarity system, whereas the new cards are developed on the assumption that all cards are equally accessible, and that there is a limit on the combo-ization and a particular specialization to each card's statistic based on faction.

The only point I was intending to make was that your fan set would only be playable within itself. Without a centralized point of uniformity, I doubt anyone who wasn't making the fan cards you designed, would trust playing against your cards. You're basically suggesting one large house rule: play with my special cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.