Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Sweeney
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm itching for a new game and I have $35 to spend at my FLGS. I'd like to stay as close to that amount as possible, but am willing to spend a little more for the right game (not more than $50).

The game MUST be good with 2 players, as I game with my wife more than anyone. Scaling up for more players would be nice but not mandatory.

Wife's Favorite Games: Dominion, Race for the Galaxy, Agricola, Carcassonne, Stone Age

What She Likes in Games: She likes building an engine or combo and feeling powerful when it comes together. She likes to feel like she is building something, so that even if she is losing she is still accomplishing something. Indirect Interaction.

She likes games with more strategy and less tactics. She wants to make a plan, set a goal, and work towards that goal.

Although, when she's being honest, what she likes most is winning. So she likes any game she's good at (Hive, even though it's an abstact), and dislikes games that make her "feel stupid."

My Favorite Games: Hive, Claustrophobia, Earth Reborn, Dominion, Race for the Galaxy, Neuroshima Hex

What I like in Games: Chrome, and Theme. I like games where I can get into character, tell a story (claustrophobia, earth reborn, catacombs). I like bits and little plastic figures.

I enjoy games that rely on positional play, or the positioning of your characters. I think this is why I'm also a moderate fan of abstacts (much more so than my wife).

I enjoy the games my wife likes as well, for many of the same reasons, although I can take a lot more confrontation.

Ok, so long story short, what game will allow my wife to plan and build while I get to play with my little toys and tell a story?

Bonus points for a space or other sci-fi/fantasy theme and positional play!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Sweeney
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Other games we play together and like:

Day & Night
Memoir '44
Battleline
Innovation
Pandemic
Jambo
Taluva

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm.. take a look at Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small

Also, Core Worlds, sort of a mix of Dominion and Race... although I haven't played it with 2, it does support to.

Also look at Jambo and Jaipur (although they are a bit older and may not be on a FLGS shelf)

Tell us what games are on your FLGs shelf, might help with the choice and suggestions.

BOb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Parker
United States
Aggieland
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
You're only young once...but you can be immature the rest of your life!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
It may not totally fit your criteria, but I think it fits your wife's criteria very well. And remember, "when momma is happy...everybody is happy"!!!

The Castles of Burgundy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.