9 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » Sessions

Subject: GenCon IceBreaker Tournament Report- 11th rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy NA

South Dakota
msg tools
First things first. The reboot of Netrunner is great. I had a blast playing in the tournament despite going 2-2 for my rounds. I lost only 2 games, but they were blowouts, so I lost those rounds.

In general it seems that there's a toss-up for best runner. Gabriel Santiago and Noise appeared tied. On the corp side, it seems that NBN was the clear winner. However, Weyland Consortium also showed up in force, so tags and Scorched Earth may be strong enough for an undeveloped format. I plan to keep hammering on the base set to see if a robust metagame develops.

My Deck Lists (Such as they are, errors and inconsistencies abound)

Runner: Gabriel Santiago

A friend felt like he had a good read on runners, so I used his deck list. In general the deck performed decently although I was starved for bits or ice on more than one occasion). I lost one game each to NBN and Haas-Bioroid.

OOF:
2x Gordian Blade
1x Medium (very impressed, more to be added)
2x Modded
2x Simhack (Won several games)

Hardware:
1x Desperado
2x Lemuria Codecracker (never used)

Programs:
2x Aurora
2x Ninja
2x Sneakdoor Beta

Resources:
3x Access to Globalsec (not used, may reduce copies
3x Armitage Codebusting
2x Crash Space
2x Decoy

Events:
1x Account Siphon (risky, but probably worth another copy)
3x Easy Mark
3x Forged Activation Orders
3x Infiltration
3x Inside Job
3x Special Order
3x Sure Gamble

Corp: Weyland Consortium

In limited playtesting, it appeared that Weyland generated bits better than the other corps. During the tournament I was impressed by Haas-Bioriod as well. The plan was to tag and use Scorched Earth/Neural EMP for the win. I meant to include Data Ravens, but forgot to include them during deck construction. I noticed the oversight just after turning in my deck list. I didn't lose a Corp Game despite a poorly tuned deck.

OOF:
2x Adonis Campaign (big winner here, finding space for a 3rd)
2x Closed Accounts (never used, due to low amount of tagging)
3x Nueral EMP (never used, coming out)
1x SEA Source (used once, but they had a Decoy that I didn't notice)

Agendas (note: would have liked more agendas per faction, base game doesn't allow for any choices)
2x Hostile Takeover
2x Posted Bounty
3x Priority Requisition
3x Private Security Force

ICE:
2x Archer
3x Enigma
2x Hadrian's Wall
3x Ice Wall
3x Wall of Static

Operation:
3x Beanstalk Royalties
3x Hedge Fund
3x Scorched Earth (never used, new tagging plan needed)
3x Shipment from Kaguya (great with Ambushes!)

Asset:
1x Pad Campaign

A few quick comments about the tournament structure.
-65 minute rounds felt about right, however the tournament should have started it earlier. The finals started at midnight. My brain shut down in Round 4 (just ask my opponent), so I'm a little glad I didn't keep playing.
-We lost a lot of time in between rounds. This being the first tournament, I'm sure the Tournament Organizer is still figuring out how to pair people.
-At 56 players, 4 rounds cutting to Top 4 is brutal and doesn't allow for a losing round due to a deck misfiring (malfunction of the night goes to the guy who drew 10 agendas in a row).

Where can I find compiled lists for the IceBreaker Tournament finals or Top 8? I'd love to know what made the cut.

Thanks for reading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Linnell
United States
Bedford
NH
flag msg tools
I really need a new badge, avatar, and overtext. GM me with any ideas....
badge
This is the seahorse valley
mb
Buried in one of the threads here, one of the finalists commented on the decks used. Interestingly enough, 3 of the 4 used Shaper as the runner, contrary to your opinion of Gabriel/Noise being the best. I think that personally I am leaning towards Gabriel and Weyland when I finally get into it. Good to hear your experience, thanks for sharing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kempe-Cook
United States
BLOOMINGTON
IN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kaliket wrote:
In general it seems that there's a toss-up for best runner. Gabriel Santiago and Noise appeared tied. On the corp side, it seems that NBN was the clear winner.

Where can I find compiled lists for the IceBreaker Tournament finals or Top 8? I'd love to know what made the cut.

Thanks for reading.

Hi! The decks in the top were: Mac/NBN (4th), Noise/NBN (3rd), Mac/HB (2nd), and Mac/Jinteki (1st). I think Santiago would have been represented had we cut to top 8, but I'm not as sure about Weyland.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Lindsay
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hopefully your Weyland deck had 1 more 1 point agenda than you've listed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy NA

South Dakota
msg tools
Pretty sure you're right about the Agendas. =P

Thanks for replies. It's interesting to see that the view from the middle is not the view from the top.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Stewart
United States
Owego
NY
flag msg tools
designer
www.drunkassgames.com
badge
!!!NERD ALERT!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
kaliket wrote:

-At 56 players, 4 rounds cutting to Top 4 is brutal and doesn't allow for a losing round due to a deck misfiring (malfunction of the night goes to the guy who drew 10 agendas in a row).

This was me. Drew 4 Agendas, mulligan to 4 more..... Gah! Then the first run hit R&D and on top is a 3 score agenda! Bah! Not sure if it was me you were playing (Weyland/Kat in the 2nd round), but your tourney list looks familiar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it was me who played you in round 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glamdryn wrote:
kaliket wrote:

This was me. Drew 4 Agendas, mulligan to 4 more..... Gah! Then the first run hit R&D and on top is a 3 score agenda! Bah! Not sure if it was me you were playing (Weyland/Kat in the 2nd round), but your tourney list looks familiar.

I thumbed you because that sucks so bad that it's kinda funny.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Owens
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glamdryn wrote:

The organizer of my wednesday night game group got the game at GenCon so I got to play last night with a buddy. The first round was more than a bit ridiculous. I ran on R&D first turn, agenda. Second turn, ran R&D twice, both were agendas, game over. B looked like he was ready to flip the table.

Edit: Forgot the main part. Wanted to say that sucks and I feel for you. I feel like the urge to flip the table if that happened to me at a tournament would be overwhelming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.