Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Lustenberger
United States
Nashua
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
The power of customization!
badge
Lelouch vi Britannia commands you... All of you... To play more games!
mbmbmbmbmb
Played dozens of games, have read all the rules pertaining to the expansion(s) we're playing and even the FAQ but undoubtedly have questions:

Undying ability and spending fatigue - If a hero makes a roll against a monster with undying and the damage displayed is enough to kill it, can the hero wait until the OL checks to see if it respawns through undying and then spend fatigue to add power dice, inflicting more damage?

If not, would that mean that a hero would sometimes have to potentially overcompensate? For example, if I made an attack against a master skeleton (lets assume there are four heroes) and dealt ten damage. I realize that the first 6 kills it and four leaks over through armor. If I do 1 more damage it will have to roll undying a second time so I spend an extra fatigue for a damage just in case.

Acrobat, flying and attacking on rubble (or a movement blocking obstacle) - Up until I read the latest FAQ I never questioned this. On page 11 FAQ it states that "A figure with Fly or Acrobat on a rubble space may both attack and be targeted. Special rules (such as fog) may
change this general rule."
However, on the Acrobat Skill Card it states, "You may not end your movement or make an attack from a space occupied by either another figure or an obstacle that blocks movement." Which is true? Can a hero that ignores rubble (earth pact, acrobat, fly) attack from that space?

Knockback - This has plagued me for sometime. Thankfully not many things have Knockback so the issue hasn't come up often (if at all.) In the FAQ it states that you can move the hero in any direction. Basically, if there is a hero in front of my ogre and a pit two or even three spaces away (1 or two spaces behind the hero) could I somehow maneuver the hero in it from knockback? Example image below:

Taunt - The skill states, "When an enemy figure within 5 spaces of you declares an attack, but before dice are rolled, you may force the figure to target you with that attack if it is able to do so." When I first read this skill I thought its power was incredible on a tank. However, after using it in the field I began to notice SEVERE loopholes. For example, if a skeleton was within 5 spaces of the hero with taunt, I'd simply move out of the 5 spaces and take a shot at who I wished. If I had a melee monster I would have them spend all their movement (sometimes going back and forth between squares) and then attack a hero I wished but was still in range of the others taunt. Since I had no movement points left (although spent in a tactful way) I couldn't re-position.

My question is, can the overlord really be this cheesy to work around taunt? It does state that when you declare an attack is when taunt goes off, so I don't see why you can't move out of its range or spend all your move points to bypass it completely. If this is the case, I may house rule it that if the monster begins within the range of Taunt they are forced to attack the hero with Taunt if possible. (Kobolds or three speed monsters wouldn't be effected if they were five away, for example since they couldn't reach the taunter anyway.)

Blast and Fear - Saturday night my group played quest 6 from WOD. One of our mages had a blast rune. He shot at the X below and had the surges for blast 1, thus hitting all the monsters. He had no extra surges for fear. He spent as much fatigue as he could to add extra black dice but reached the limit, and still had no surge for fear (super unlucky.) Since the blast hit the master dragon, and the rules state if you don't have the surges for fear, I said the attack missed completely, not effecting the beastmen. He said that it only missed the Dragon, not the beastmen. What would happen in this situation?

Wind Pact - The second half of the skill states, "when a new area is revealed, you may immediately look at the overlord's hand and force him to discard 1 card of your choice. He receives threat for the card that you force him to discard." Is it in the rules to freely tell the rest of the heroes what the overlord has or is it secret?

Thanks in advance for the assistance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Master of the Waz
United States
St. Peters
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Undying ability and spending fatigue -
You cannot wait to add more dice after the undying roll. Your attack is resolved and damage dealt it is too late to roll more dice to add. You can of course over kill it as in your example.

Acrobat, flying and attacking on rubble (or a movement blocking obstacle) -
I am not certain on this one without further research.

Knockback -
You can, and he will take damage from landing in the pit. He only takes damage from the final space where he lands from the knockback.

Taunt -
Cheesy or not it is fair within the rules.

Blast and Fear -
The entire attack misses completely, not effecting the beastmen.

Wind Pact -
I haven't seen any rule on this. I would say the hero should share with his team what he saw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lustenberger
United States
Nashua
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the replies. I'm wondering how you could throw them in the pit with the knockback example. I feel like you'd have to basically go one direction and then go the opposite which seems weird to me. This is of course since you move 3 spaces from knockback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Master of the Waz
United States
St. Peters
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rule is you move them three spaces. There is no rule that it must be in a straight line.

Another one of those correct by the rules, but not exactly thematic.

Although you could say you smack him to the side, he bounces off the wall and flies back at an angle 2 spaces into the pit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jastin has done a pretty good job, so just a couple of things to add.

Taunt
Note that Taunt only takes affect at the moment an attack is announced, so the movement of mnsters is never affected. They don't have to 'use up' their movement and are free to movem in any way they like.
Basically you 'freeze frame' at the moment of attack if the Taunt-er chooses to Taunt, and if the monster can, at that point (and is within 5 spaces of course) then the monster must attack the Taunt-er. If it can't (melee not adjacent, no LOS etc) then it does not have to.
Taunt is nowhere near as good as most noobs think it is. Its useful, but the OL can mostly get around it with careful positioning and timing.

Wind Pact
Turn your question around. Does it say the hero must keep that information silent? The heroes are supposed to work together and discuss things.

Acrobat etc.
Oops, thats a wee technical error in the FAQ. In fact its probably my fault, since the wording there almost precisely mirrors what we suggested to them (changes being cosmetic and not related to this).
Right. Technically, its says that an Acrobat can attack from rubble. Also technically, its says that special rules (such as fog) can change this.
Note that the rule is actually about LOS being blocked into or out of spaces that block LOS.
Note that Rubble rule does not technically prevent attacks from a rubble space.
Note that Fly rule does not technically prevent attacks from a rubble space.
Note that Acrobat (and Earth Pact) rule does explicitly prevent attacking from spaces that block movement (or just rubble for Earth Pact).

Therefore I think it is clear that
i) the context of the FAQ rule is not about movement and attack, its about LOS and attack, and
ii) the little bit in the FAQ rule about acrobat attacking from a rubble space is over-ruled by the explicit Acrobat rules (as the FAQ rule immediately points out can happen)

Summary: A flying hero can attack from rubble. An Acrobat or Earth Pact hero cannot.

I apologise for the error I probably imparted to FFG, and to the players confused by it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Retired Hurt

Brussels
Unspecified
msg tools
About Knockback : it is "up to 3 spaces", so there is no need for paradoxical trajectories.

The Ogre can drive the hero three hexes away, or he may pitch him into the hole, er, pit. And he is able to negociate doglegs too.
More funny : send them into Scything Blades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lustenberger
United States
Nashua
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just looked at the rulebook and noticed that they do indeed say "up to." It confused me because it says they basically fly through the first two so I assumed it was a set three spaces they got knocked back.

So I assume if the OL pushes them one, they simply drop in that spot. Two means they fly over the first, drop in the second and three means they fly over two and drop in the third?

Also thank you to everyone who replied. I appreciate you taking the time to clarify things!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Retired Hurt

Brussels
Unspecified
msg tools
(deleted)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henning Karlsson
Sweden
Ljungby
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Merrimac wrote:
Notice that the move is akin to flight, not to teleportation, whence you can force the figure to take aura damage in the bypassed squares.

That's one of the rare efficient use of the feat which gives Aura 4.

I believe this is incorrect. It is more like teleport, as you only suffer consequences from the square you land on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lustenberger
United States
Nashua
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah it specifically says you don't suffer the spaces you fly through, onl the one you land on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henning Karlsson
Sweden
Ljungby
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As for your question how you could've moved three spaces into the pit with your example, you could've gone up, right, diagonally left up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lustenberger
United States
Nashua
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for clarification. It just seemed weird to make them move one way, then the other. Doesn't make sense, you know? It seems you can move people UP TO three spaces, however, so maneuvering like that doesn't seem necessary to begin with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.