Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Zombicide» Forums » Rules

Subject: Cars (XP and car-count in zones), and "extra action" for recently-placed zombies rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
CJ Kucera
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
static
badge
static
mbmbmbmbmb
A few little details that I think I know the answers to already, but I figure some clarification can't hurt.

1) When running over zombies in a car, does the driver get XP for those kills? I would assume that the answer is probably "yes" but it's never explicitly stated. We ended up deciding to split the gained XP between all passengers as well (weighting the distribution in the driver's favor), which I'm sure isn't correct but it seemed like a decent midpoint between levelling the driver way up right away (for just driving a car around) and getting no XP at all.

2) Is there a limit to how many cars may be in a zone? The rules don't mention that at all, though physically there's only space for two cars in the street zones. We made the decision to limit it to two, though it never actually came up in the game, so it's a bit academic.

3) When resolving the zombie spawn phase and you flip over an "extra action" card, do zombies placed earlier in the phase get an action as well? We had interpreted it as not, since the phrasing "extra" seemed to imply that they needed to have had a first action in order to have another one, but given what I've learned about processing the "extra action" cards while populating buildings, I doubt our earlier interpretation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Yes, driver gets all XP. It's pretty dangerous to let a single person do all the hit and run in the game, he'll reach Red pretty quickly.

2) No limit, and as you said, it's a prety academic question.

3) All zombies of the indicated type currently on the board benefit from an extra activation card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ Kucera
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
static
badge
static
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, thanks for the answers! (Here and in practically every other rules-question post in this forum. :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah well, it's been a slow couple of work weeks... whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Oswego
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me pile on a few additional car rule questions:

1. Turning: any special rules for turning or U-turns with a car?

2. Is everyone just rolling dice once for driving "through" a zone with a car that has a zombie in it? The rules state enter/through/exit, which could be interpreted jerkily. Example:

Dave is driving a car. There's a walker two zones ahead of him. Dave spends one action to move those two zones, stopping in the walker's zone. Dave rolls for "car combat" and misses.

2a. If Dave decides to drive ahead two more spaces, will he re-roll for that car combat again (as he is "leaving" the space)?

2b. Alternatively, if Dave decides to whip a U-turn in that space, will he re-roll for car combat again against that same walker?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Nope.

2. Yeah, you'd attack that zone when you enter it at the end of one drive action, and again when you leave it at the beginning of another car action.

2b. If you're talking about: Car in zone 1 makes a single drive action which moves into zone 2 then u-turns back to zone 1, you would attack zone 2 only once, since you just go through it, but attack zone 1 twice, once for leaving it and once for enetering it in the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Vibbert
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
and holding steady
badge
My god... It's full of zeroes and ones...
mbmbmbmbmb
1. No special rules for U-turns or turns.
2. Dave cannot spend another action to drive.
When the driving Survivor is activated, he can spend one
Action to move the car one or two Zones.
From page 14 of the rule book pdf under Cars

The first player activates his Survivors one after the other,
in the order of his choice.
From page 7 of the rule book pdf under #6 Players' Turn

A car can only be used once per Survivor per turn, when the Survivor is activated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dvibbert wrote:
A car can only be used once per Survivor per turn, when the Survivor is activated.

That is a very disputable interpretation of the rules. They say you can spend one action to move the car up to two zones, but they never state that you can ONLY use a single drive action per turn, just that one two-zone move costs one action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Oswego
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting; we discussed the "single drive action" as well. Multiple drive actions on the same turn feels very powerful, but a single drive action seems to relegate cars to near uselessness.

Throw it onto the pile of FAQ, folks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Vibbert
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
and holding steady
badge
My god... It's full of zeroes and ones...
mbmbmbmbmb
Loophole Master wrote:
dvibbert wrote:

That is a very disputable interpretation of the rules. They say you can spend one action to move the car up to two zones, but they never state that you can ONLY use a single drive action per turn, just that one two-zone move costs one action.

Very disputable is rather strong. The rule restricts a driving action to after a Survivor is activated. I interpret this as immediately after activation because otherwise the activation restriction is redundant.

Ultimately, the rules will need an FAQ to make this clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
dvibbert wrote:
Loophole Master wrote:
dvibbert wrote:

Very disputable is rather strong. The rule restricts a driving action to after a Survivor is activated. I interpret this as immediately after activation because otherwise the activation restriction is redundant.

Ultimately, the rules will need an FAQ to make this clear.

You don't have to take an action to activate a Survivor. You just have to start their turn. An activated Survivor has two actions; both could be used to drive the car and so move 4 spaces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.