Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Willows
United States
Woburn
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We are unable to reach consensus on the top 5 or 10.

So, all you'll get is opinion on personal favorites.

Do you have any preferences in terms on historical period or scale (tactical - squads and individual vehicles / operational - a look at a single battle or series of battles / Strategic - The whole war or front)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Nice to see that you are interested in wargames. I hope that it works out for you down the road.

I won't recommend a game just yet, but wanted to mention that for many of us, wargames coincide (or are an expression of) an interest in history. That is not a universal truth, but nevertheless can be used as a starting point for you.

If you have any such interest, perhaps choose a relatively light game on that subject matter. For example, if you both liked Roman history then Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage would be a good choice. That way you can explore the subject with the game which can be quite enlightening and fun as well. Another Roman option would be Commands & Colors: Ancients. You get the idea ...

Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Hedden
United States
Greenville
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am really in search for an epic. not too daunting. 2p 3-5hrs.

I have a few on the shelf. NT being the ultimate goal for me to get to the table.

I played C&C:A. Played it enough to not enjoy the resolution of dice rolling. Not that I am opposed to dice, just dont like the CDG aspect in conjunction with the dice. I am interested in Hannibal: Rome vs Carthage. Read the rules, but I think it is more of a game I would just like to play a time or 2. But yes, I do feel like I am missing an ancients game of some kind.

I already know that I will get No Retreat 2. and I am very much in anticipation for The Guns of Gettysburg by Simmons.

Wow, I really need an ancients to round out my collection, and Batteline isnt cutting it.

hmm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Hedden
United States
Greenville
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
oops. meant to delete this thread, please discontinue replies. ty to the wargamers that replied.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are so many great wargames out there! I suggest agreeing on a historical era you like, then scan the top 50 wargames here, find two or three that fall into the era you've chosen. Read a few of the reviews, and then choose one to dive in to!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"And you won't know a thing till you get inside." (Mystery lyrics; name that song.)
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
Normandy wrote:
oops. meant to delete this thread, please discontinue replies.

Can't help it ... must ... continue ... dead thread.
zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We can't let this one go! Lives are depending on it!

Women and children...think of the women and children...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
I drink and I know things
badge
Night gathers and now my watch begins
mbmbmbmbmb
And further more, wargames? Twilight Struggle , 1989: Dawn of Freedom, Labyrinth: The War on Terror, 2001 – ? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Marl
United States
Pissburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool. A headless thread. We don't know what we're responding to, so that will make the replies all that more interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I like it! It has a runaway train quality... Plus it is like an open universe.... anything goes...

Well, obviously the answer to this problem is mashed potatoes. Anyone with a brain can see that. I mean really!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Brave New Geek
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Julius Caesar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
"I'm not dead yet!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Terhune
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
This is a blatant example of frivolous geek gold spending.
badge
I spent 100 geek gold and all I got was this lousy overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
Case Blue, obviously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jem Ruggera
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools

Agreed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Spencer
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Capt_S wrote:
...for many of us, wargames coincide (or are an expression of) an interest in history.
I think this quote should be used in every thread of this kind...of which there are many....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Cornelissen
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrick Carroll wrote:
Normandy wrote:
oops. meant to delete this thread, please discontinue replies.

Can't help it ... must ... continue ... dead thread.
zombie

Dang! There's no "Headless Thread" microbadge...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Syvertsen
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
Wishing everyone a happy 2019!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have my chainsaw and shotgun. Let's do this! What was the question?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Willows
United States
Woburn
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm, are you saying that I'm nothing but a pair of shoulders?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Collins
Canada
Prince Rupert
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it depends on your preference. Some people prefer a card driven mechanic where others are old-fashioned "bucket o' dice" gamers. You'll also want to look into some of the "no luck" options, or you might find the 3:1 exchange to your liking, where others would see it as "gamey."

The main thing is to keep your mind open to new experiences and have fun, unless you are very competitive and must win at all costs. In this case you will want to refrain from reading the rules and only consider your strategy (exhaustively) when it's actually your turn to play. Also, don't buy any game unless you've already played it, but if you see a classic at the thrift store for under $10, go for it.

Once you've found a topic of conversation that you are interested in, post it up here, so that others can either chastise your laziness by posting links to threads with the same topic from seven years ago, or change the topic altogether.

Finally, don't mind if other people say about your favorite historically themed strategy game with cubes and meeples, "fun, definitely fun, but it's not a wargame."

They only mean it in the most supportive and constructive way possible.

Good luck! meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.