Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Caleb Warner
United States
Hanover Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so one of the largest complaints I have and am seeing here on the boards is that the cards in a characters inventory slide around too much when you add xp using the slider to a character card.

I've been thinking, what I could do to resolve this issue, and I've come up with two solutions. Please add on if you have any other thoughts on how to address this concern. Also add if you see any additional problems.

Solution #1

Use sticky tack. Place a small amount of sticky tack on each of the slots on each character board. When you put your cards in place, press slightly, and the cards will attach to the sticky tack.

Pros:

Cheap
Easy
Completely removable

Cons:

Might leave a slight residue on the back of cards
Might need to be replaced regularly
Will probably make the character cards stick together in the box (could be completely removed for storage)

Solution #2

Get sleeves that fit this card size loosely. Cut off most of the top of the sleeve. Attach the lower portion to the board, one for each slot for each character sheet. Sizing of the pockets is critical, you want something that is easy to get cards into and out of (not covering the full cards) and will not take a beating. You may want to use a material to attach that it wouldn't strip the paper if you removed it.

Pros:

Will look clean
Very functional
Clear sleeves should allow you to read the rear cards

Cons:

Permanent depending on how you attached them (Could be combined with solution #1 to resolve this issue).
Slightly more expensive
Won't work if you plan on sleeving your cards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Elrick
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Along the same lines as #2, you could get those little corners that you stick in a photo album to hold pictures in place. Stick 10 on there, 2 for each card and you should be golden even with them overlapping like they do. Not sure how permanent they are, but if this probably really bugs, you I would think this would do it. Super cheap too (I think).

Edit: Oh and thanks for those solutions and starting this thread. Pretty soon nobody will have any reason to complain about such an awesome game. Of course, someone will have to start a thread where the intent is to revise the rule book, but that's a matter for a different thread...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's funny, I have no problem whatsoever updating my XP without disturbing my inventory cards. Simply hold the ID card with one hand and slide the tracker with the other hand. As long as you don't shove the tracker in all the way, it'll move without much problem.

Sure, when you're rearranging your inventory it can be a bit of a hassle with cards moving around, but I think most solutions would be even more problematic. Overall I really don't find this to be much of an issue.

or:

Solution #3

Buy an iPad/Galaxy Tab, wait til September for the app.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Warner
United States
Hanover Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not saying it's a huge problem, but it seems easily resolved to me. I like personalizing my copies a little bit too, and I'm not a painter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've also found that it's not as difficult as I initially thought. It's still a bit awkward though.

My thought was to create a shared XP meter separate from any of the character cards. You could have a token for each character with their face on it or something. It'd also make it easy to see what the highest danger level is and which characters need to get "caught up" since they'd all be on the same meter together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A collective XP meter sounds like an interesting idea. You could assign a single person to keep track of everyone's XP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
unreal41683 wrote:
Solution #2

Get sleeves that fit this card size loosely. Cut off most of the top of the sleeve. Attach the lower portion to the board, one for each slot for each character sheet. Sizing of the pockets is critical, you want something that is easy to get cards into and out of (not covering the full cards) and will not take a beating. You may want to use a material to attach that it wouldn't strip the paper if you removed it.

Pros:

Will look clean
Very functional
Clear sleeves should allow you to read the rear cards

Cons:

Permanent depending on how you attached them (Could be combined with solution #1 to resolve this issue).
Slightly more expensive
Won't work if you plan on sleeving your cards

Wow, you beat me to it. I was going to suggest this exact solution. Buy clear sleeves that fit loosely; cut to shape below (to make it easy to remove/reorganize cards); attach with either a clear glue or adhesive tape.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Ike Clanton painted by me for Wild West Exodus
mbmbmbmbmb
I have just been putting my 3 inventory cards above my sheet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Oswego
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been thinking about the character boards. The design is functional, but not excellent. I think the boards should hold inventory and mark health, but maybe experience could be tracked with some dials, similar to Blood Bowl: Team Manager, or the Lord of the Rings: LCG. I know, I know, Fantasy Flight loves them some dials, but so do I, and I'm thinking a separate, chunky board that, maybe, has the "tens" digit provide the indication that you're into yellow, orange, or blue might be kind of a cool thing to try.

Anyone have some 500lb paper we can try this on? ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Warner
United States
Hanover Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
soosy wrote:
My thought was to create a shared XP meter separate from any of the character cards. You could have a token for each character with their face on it or something. It'd also make it easy to see what the highest danger level is and which characters need to get "caught up" since they'd all be on the same meter together.

I really like this, I totally see the benefits. Now I just have to find tokens that would match... I'm sure we'll see someone's take on this board in the files section soon.

Edit: Oooh, would the original pieces from Dixit match the character cards close enough? With Dixit 3, the original rabbits/squirrels are no longer needed... that's six wooden pieces of varying color.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wakasm wakasm
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
made you look.
mbmbmbmbmb
Solution 4:

Two small paperclips to hold your main weapons! Holds all 5 in place.

Slide the other 3 behind the two held with a paperclip. They stay in place, even if you pick up your character card to move the slider.

Worked perfectly for me and my fiance when we played. I meant to take a picture... but I feel this is pretty self explanatory as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Rainey
United States
Cookeville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
I find that if you don't push the XP tracker on all the character card it slides much easier. Just press down firmly on the top of the card and use your thumbnail to gently slide it.

That said, when I get up to five cards I usually just keep my three back ones to the side, stacked so I can see the names of all of the items, and just keep my two equipped items on the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Jormi_Boced wrote:
I have just been putting my 3 inventory cards above my sheet

This.

I quite frankly can't believe all the other suggestions in this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Risdon
United States
Gilberts
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife suggested sticky tack in our first game and we've been using it ever since. We just remove it from the cards after each game and put it in some wax paper until the next game.

I thought about the sleeves idea, but haven't gotten around to trying to make them.

We also put the sticky tack on the little skill arrows to indicate the skill chosen at Orange and Red levels.

It works pretty well, nothing slides off the card and they clean up pretty easily and cleanly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Fe

Virginia
msg tools
Hi,

I know this is an old thread but I'm new to Zombicide (just got it). I just use one of the arrow advancement trackers that come with the game to track your skills to slide along the top to mark your experience. Works Great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
Paperclips at the bottom of the card and just slide your inventory card into it.. its pretty easy

And for the tracker.. while laminating the cards and dry-erase markers are far superior to anything else.. another paperclip works.. but the usual markers dont tend to be hard to use, if you have your inventory locked in.

Personaly for me though, i just place my 2 inventory on the card, and the other 3 to the side..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't tried it yet, but was thinking of magnets, either those little tiny discs miniature painters use in their figure bases, or the magnetic tape that came with those useless "craft a project" samples in ink packs...

http://www.amazon.com/Super-Strong-Neodymium-Craft-Magnets/d...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiff Reynolds
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's what I did:

1. Sleeved all the cards in properly fitting sleeves (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003Y7VK28/).

2. Purchased slightly larger sleeves (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002BH3J58/).

3. Cut the sleeves in #2 down halfway along the side seams, and folded the front flap into the pocket.

4. Purchased double-sided removable (Post-It) tape (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006IF63/).

5. Stuck two long strips of the tape to the cards along the 3-inventory slots, and stuck the sleeve pockets to the card in the inventory positions.

6. Stuck one shorter strip ON the pockets, and one below them, along the 2-inventory slots. Added pockets.

7. Done.

This worked GREAT for Zombicide 1. Then TCM came out, with Zombivors, and suddenly I needed to use both sides of the cards. So I stuck pockets on both sides for about 10 survivors. It was bulky, and the character cards didn't stack well, but it worked really well in the games.

Then, I decided to laminate the cards because the sliders were tearing up the tops. So I removed all the pockets, and never got around to re-doing the original ones, or starting the other 40+ characters I ended up with.

My current solution is one I got from Niranth in the Season 3 comments on Kickstarter - report cover spines. I bought a box of report covers (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006IESI/), took the "spines" and trimmed a couple of inches off of 8 of them, to use with whatever characters we pick. Stick the spine on the bottom of the card and slide the equipment cards into it as you go - works great.

The only issue I can see is if you don't sleeve the cards, or don't laminate / aren't careful with the character cards - you might end up roughing up the edges a little.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.