7 Wonders: Cities» Forums » Rules

Subject: Team conflict resolution question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Elvish Scout
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The wording in the rulebook is a little ambiguous regarding Team conflict resolution.

Quote:
Team resolution of conflicts
In the team game, the teammates do not wage war against each other. Each player will have to face
the opposing city which neighbors them.
Note : during the Conflict resolution, the amount of tokens given is doubled :
- a victory during Age I is worth 2 Conflict (Victory) tokens each worth 1 victory point,
- a victory during Age II is worth 2 Conflict (Victory) tokens each worth 3 victory points,
- a victory during Age III is worth 2 Conflict (Victory) tokens each worth 5 victory points.
- defeats are each worth 2 Conflict (Defeat) tokens with a value of -1 victory point.

Imagine there are 4 players seated A->B->C->D->A with A+B on one team and C+D on the other. At the end of each age, A compares its military against that of D's and the winner gets twice the military tokens? B then compares against C?

Or, do A+B as a team compare against C+D as a team?

A further question: if there are three teams and both team members have a diplomacy token, do the two neighboring teams then compare using the above rules? Both members of Team B have a diplomacy token, then both members Team A will compare against both Team C members. Correct?

I may have answered my own questions but just want to make sure I am interpreting the rules correctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ElvishScout wrote:
The wording in the rulebook is a little ambiguous regarding Team conflict resolution.

Quote:
Team resolution of conflicts
In the team game, the teammates do not wage war against each other. Each player will have to face
the opposing city which neighbors them.
Note : during the Conflict resolution, the amount of tokens given is doubled :
- a victory during Age I is worth 2 Conflict (Victory) tokens each worth 1 victory point,
- a victory during Age II is worth 2 Conflict (Victory) tokens each worth 3 victory points,
- a victory during Age III is worth 2 Conflict (Victory) tokens each worth 5 victory points.
- defeats are each worth 2 Conflict (Defeat) tokens with a value of -1 victory point.

Imagine there are 4 players seated A->B->C->D->A with A+B on one team and C+D on the other. At the end of each age, A compares its military against that of D's and the winner gets twice the military tokens? B then compares against C?

Or, do A+B as a team compare against C+D as a team?
I don't see how the phrasing is ambiguous; the rules clearly say "each player" and "opposing city," not "each team" and "opposing team" or ("opposing cities"). It seems obvious to me that A would compare their military strength to D, and B compares theirs to C.

ElvishScout wrote:
A further question: if there are three teams and both team members have a diplomacy token, do the two neighboring teams then compare using the above rules? Both members of Team B have a diplomacy token, then both members Team A will compare against both Team C members. Correct?
Incorrect. This is stated outright in the rules, under "Clarifications" in the "Team diplomacy" section: "If the 2 members of a team have each played a Diplomacy token, they each take a single copy of the Conflict token, as do their respective opponents."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elvish Scout
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ryudoowaru wrote:

ElvishScout wrote:
Incorrect. This is stated outright in the rules, under "Clarifications" in the "Team diplomacy" section: "If the 2 members of a team have each played a Diplomacy token, they each take a single copy of the Conflict token, as do their respective opponents."

So then for team play, a diplomacy token reduces the conflict tokens from 2 to 1. But all players still partake in the military resolution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ElvishScout wrote:
So then for team play, a diplomacy token reduces the conflict tokens from 2 to 1. But all players still partake in the military resolution.
That's what it says in the rules I downloaded from Repos. Here is the entirety of the "Team diplomacy" section, for completeness:

Quote:
Team diplomacy
A player who puts a card with the (Diplomacy) symbol in play takes a Diplomacy token from the bank and places it on their board.
During the next conflict, the player still takes part in the resolution, but they and their opponent only take a single Conflict token instead of two. The use of the Diplomacy token is mandatory; it is then discarded.
Clarifications:
- The use of a Diplomacy token by a player doesn’t affect their teammate.
- It is possible for a player to win the conflict even if that player has played a Diplomacy token.
- If the 2 members of a team have each played a Diplomacy token, they each take a single copy of the Conflict token, as do their respective opponents.
Example : Cyril and Tina are teammates. During the Age III Conflict resolution, Cyril uses a Diplomacy token. He loses the conflict (his opponent has a superior military force): he takes only 1 Defeat (-1) token and his opponent a single Victory (+5) token. Independently, Tina wins the conflict, she takes 2 Victory (+5) tokens and her opponent 2 Defeat (-1) tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elvish Scout
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great, thanks for the clarification. Looking forward to trying it out tonight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.