Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
We're giving up cable TV and switching to online streaming.

Netflix works well and has a good variety but not nearly the depth of movies in their streaming service that I had hoped for. Do they change up the selections from time to time? or are they just in the process of adding stuff? Are there better streaming services out there now-a-days?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Froggy McFrogface
United States
FORT COLLINS
CO
flag msg tools
badge
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
Titles definitely come and go: when we first had it, I looked for The Godfather, but it was unavailable. Then, at some point, The Godfather became available and I was able to stream it. Now it is unavailable again. I wish it were more predictable in that sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Faust
United States
Malverne
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stuff is constantly coming and going from the Netflix streaming catalog, but they don't make it particularly easy to figure out what's been added and (especially) what's been dropped. I follow a Twitter account called @netflix_instant (https://twitter.com/netflix_instant) which lists new shows/movies as they are added.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
If you have Amazon Prime then you have access to a ton of streaming tv-oriented content.
Not a lot movie-wise, but great for immersing yourself in, say, every season of Star Trek TNG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
What we did is cancel cable, do Amazon Prime instant streaming for the older stuff and old TV series, and then do Netflix DVDs for the newer stuff.

It seems to be working pretty well so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Phrim wrote:
I follow a Twitter account called @netflix_instant (https://twitter.com/netflix_instant) which lists new shows/movies as they are added.

Holy Christ, the noise-to-signal on that feed...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
The only reason I haven't switched to streaming from DVDs on Netflix is the poor selection of movies. It amazes me really at this point that the cable/satellite companies aren't getting into this. If I want to do a new movie on DirecTv it costs me $6 a movie. Why not make a monthly charge and make films available similar to Netflix or Amazon. It makes no sense how they are clinging to the outdated premium channel model (HBO, Showtime, Cinemax) they've had for 30 years. Premium channels have gone the way of the 3.5 floppy disk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
If you have Amazon Prime then you have access to a ton of streaming tv-oriented content.
Not a lot movie-wise, but great for immersing yourself in, say, every season of Star Trek TNG.

The West Wing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CrankyPants wrote:
We're giving up cable TV and switching to online streaming.

Netflix works well and has a good variety but not nearly the depth of movies in their streaming service that I had hoped for. Do they change up the selections from time to time? or are they just in the process of adding stuff? Are there better streaming services out there now-a-days?

Depending on what kind of movies you like you might consider Hulu Plus. That service has almost 800 films from The Criterion Collection which are foreign, Art House kinds of film. Lots of Kurosawa, Bergman. Bunuel, etc. kinds of things. Some of the best movies ever made I think but YMMV.

Hulu Plus also has current TV shows from ABC, NBC, and Fox as well as quite a few British TV series (i.e. Misfits, Rev, Spy etc.).

It's 8 bucks a month and can be streamed via PS3, XBox, Roku, and some other sources.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
The Cthulhu player, not the Football player.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've tried both Netflix and Hulu plus and both have been huge disappointments. Get ready for an endless stream of searching for something you want to watch and finding that it's not available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott B
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mb
radynski wrote:
I've tried both Netflix and Hulu plus and both have been huge disappointments. Get ready for an endless stream of searching for something you want to watch and finding that it's not available.

Yeah, I very quickly stopped looking for something specific, and just started browsing categories. I probably had a list of about 10 movies and maybe 5 or 6 TV shows in the end. There is a TON of direct to video on Netflix streaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
Would you like steak with that?
badge
Have another Keith's
mbmbmbmbmb
Netflix works for us because we have been raising our family for the past several years. This means that my wife and I are woefully out of date when it comes to TV or movies. So Netflix movies and shows are "new to us" so to speak.

For example we've been watching Breaking Bad from season 1 onward over the last month. I can't believe we missed this while it was one TV. There are likely a few others that we missed as well that might be on Netflix.

And of course Netflix has a lot for the kids too.

So overall we've been getting our 8 bucks worth every month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eager
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
DBA Junkie
badge
"A Book should serve as the Ax for the frozen sea within us."-- KAFKA
mbmbmbmbmb
ninja http://www.streamingsoon.com/ You're welcome. ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.