Cal Corum
United States
Munster
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

BSG 298: Hostile Work Environment
6-Player, P+X (FF, PG, CFB), Kobol

Welcome to the start of BSG 298: Hostile Work Environment; this is a rematch of BSG 286: Candy Corn and Zima. This will be a play-by-forum game in the style established by ColtsFan76. Thanks go to him for getting all this started and also to Orphius for creating the mod tools that will be used.

Players
Travis Dean
United States
Escondido
CA
flag msg tools
The Golden Camel UberBadge is a mystery. Nobody knows where it came from or how it got there.
badge
No one expects the Spanish penguin!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeffrey Foxwell
United States
Glen Allen
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris Hurd
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rebecca Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
J Scott
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ossian Grr aka "Josh"
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb

Rules and Guidelines

Those of you who have played in a PBF game before can skim this section. If this is your first PBF game, I suggest reading it carefully.

1. In order to participate, you must own a copy of game.

If, at some point, you are temporarily away from your cards and need the text to make a decision, send me a GeekMail and I'll get you the relevant information.

2. I intend for this to be a fast-paced game. You are expected to subscribe to this thread and to check in at least twice per day, preferably around 12 hours apart.

There is a serious expectation that you will not hold the game up for a significant period of time when it is your turn to make an action. If it is your turn to act and it has been more than 12 hours, I will issue a reminder to you. Habitual offenders may be replaced. A great way to speed up the game is by issuing tons of COs. See the "Conditional Orders" section below.

3. All communication between players must occur in this thread ONLY.

Anything that needs to be communicated privately by me and a player will take place via GeekMail. When sending me a GeekMail, please include the game number, your character name, and a description in the subject line. (Example: "[BSG 1337][Starbuck] Secret Destiny Use")

4. Follow typical play-by-forum conventions when posting.

This includes always making it clear what character you are speaking as by including an appropriate banner at the top of each post. Banners created by DukeOfEarl are available here. If you are mobile, please bold your character name at the top of your post. Other pictures for adding flavor can be found in this compilation. Also, be sure to leave regular discussion in a plain font, in-character flavor text in italics, and actions you wish to take in bold. Be especially conscious of the bolding of your actions; I will not execute an action if it isn't bolded.

5. Do not edit your posts.

Please do not go back and edit posts unless you are quickly fixing a typo immediately after posting. Instead, simply make a new post stating what you would have changed. This is to prevent confusion (both for me and your fellow players).

6. Respect the secrecy rules.

Battlestar Galactica is a much less interesting game if the secrecy rules are not closely followed. I suggest everyone take a look at the official "Secrecy Clarifications" document, the last page of the Official FAQ.

7. No spoilers.

Do not post any major spoilers about the television series (or associated films) in this thread.

Conditional Orders (COs)

* I ask that you put in COs for pretty much anything you can think of. All COs should be sent to me via GeekMail, and be clearly labeled by having "CO" (and a description of what the CO is for) in the subject line.

* Do not post public COs under any circumstances; this includes posting bold text when it is not your turn to act. Additionally, for this game I will not be allowing public "TANK" COs. You can, of course, submit a normal CO to pass on playing cards into the check, which will have a similar effect.

* Under many circumstances, I will not wait for interrupts before executing actions. The following is a (non-comprehensive) list of examples of things that I will not ask for interrupts for (and thus will not have interrupts played on them unless you put in a CO):

Declare Emergency
Strategic Planning on Launch Scout unless there is only one raptor remaining.
Strategic Planning on attacks by vipers or attacks by cylon ships.
Evasive Maneuvers unless it is the last ship protecting a civilian.

* I will assume that you have a standing CO to pass on any interrupt that you do not hold in your hand. Players are encouraged to put in COs to pass on interrupts that they are holding but do not intend to play. Any COs to pass on interrupts will be resolved once everyone else has already passed, to minimize the amount of information revealed by these COs.

* If you have an interrupt-style character ability, then you must put in a CO to use your ability when appropriate. For example, I will not ask if Starbuck wants to use Secret Destiny on every crisis card that is played, but she may put in a CO to pause to let her decide when a crisis card meets certain criteria.

* Be very clear when writing your COs. If I feel it is ambiguous, I will let you know and will not execute the CO, which could hold up the game. Feel free to make them as complicated as you like, as long as they are understandable.

House Rules

1. Pegasus: Damage may not be assigned to Pegasus unless someone is aboard Pegasus.

2. Cain's Blind Jump ability will always bury the top card of the Destination deck before selecting a destination.

3. Kat's Hotshot once-per-turn ability may not be used when activating the FTL Control location.

4. Tory's Adaptable ability is changed to read "After any player uses the action on a Quorum Card, you may play a Consolidate Power from your hand."

These are all in place to better balance the game, but if you take serious offense to any of them please bring it to my attention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ossian Grr aka "Josh"
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Boomer from 286 here. I'm in if you want me...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Scott
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Helo here, I'd be up for a rematch. The Cylons couldn't catch a break last time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hurd
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zarek here. Part of what made me unhappy in 286 was the fact that the rule-set wasn't agreed on until after I committed. Another part was that I felt forced to commit because I had one strike against me for a no-response to an early game. So, I am endeavoring to change both those things now.

I despise forced reveals, for reasons that should be somewhat apparent now. I'm only willing to play 6 player with the no-sympathizer variant, or with someone playing a Cylon Leader. I can also do 5 player without a CL, or 7 player.

Beyond that, I suppose I'm flexible. I own everything, so I can play Pegasus or Exodus or both. CFB is probably the most enjoyable, out of everything. My standard at home is CFB, Cylon Location overlay, Treachery, Kobol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ossian Grr aka "Josh"
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm happy with a Cylon Leader Or No Sympathizer option here.

In 286 I was already planning on playing Boomer, and metagaming; I honestly was hoping we'd hammer a resource and play the odds of Boomer getting the Sympathizer card (for no effect and an easier time on the humans) or being a Cylon (for obvious benefit of the auto-brigging-someone-else).
It didn't work out that way.

If I hadn't been already planning to choose Boomer, I likely would have voted for No Sympathizer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cal Corum
United States
Munster
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Well, it looks like all six players from BSG 286 have checked in either via forum post or GM so we can start hashing out game details. I think a poll will be the most efficient way to handle this.

Please only respond to this poll if you were a player in BSG 286: Candy Corn and Zima. Thanks!

Poll: BSG 298 Game Options Poll
Please weigh in on all Pegasus components:
  Must Have Would Like Indifferent Would Not Like Must Not Have Vote Count
Characters/Cards 50.0% (3) 16.7% (1) 33.3% (2) 0.0% (0) 0.0% (0) 6
Pegasus Board 16.7% (1) 16.7% (1) 50.0% (3) 16.7% (1) 0.0% (0) 6
New Caprica 0.0% (0) 0.0% (0) 50.0% (3) 16.7% (1) 33.3% (2) 6
Cylon Leader 0.0% (0) 33.3% (2) 66.7% (4) 0.0% (0) 0.0% (0) 6
Total Voters 6
Please weigh in on all Exodus components:
  Must Have Would Like Indifferent Would Not Like Must Not Have Vote Count
Characters/Cards 50.0% (3) 16.7% (1) 33.3% (2) 0.0% (0) 0.0% (0) 6
Cylon Fleet Board 33.3% (2) 33.3% (2) 33.3% (2) 0.0% (0) 0.0% (0) 6
Final Five 16.7% (1) 33.3% (2) 50.0% (3) 0.0% (0) 0.0% (0) 6
Personal Goals 0.0% (0) 33.3% (2) 50.0% (3) 16.7% (1) 0.0% (0) 6
Ionian Nebula 0.0% (0) 0.0% (0) 66.7% (4) 16.7% (1) 16.7% (1) 6
Total Voters 6
Miscellaneous House Rules:
  Must Have Would Like Indifferent Would Not Like Must Not Have WTF, I've never heard of this Vote Count
Complex Destiny 16.7% (1) 0.0% (0) 66.7% (4) 0.0% (0) 16.7% (1) 0.0% (0) 6
Treacherous Destiny 0.0% (0) 16.7% (1) 50.0% (3) 16.7% (1) 16.7% (1) 0.0% (0) 6
Total Voters 6
6-Player Options (choose all that apply):
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Use Sympathizer
20.0% 1
Cylon Leader/No Sympathizer
100.0% 5
Official No Sympathizer Variant
60.0% 3
Voters 5
This poll is now closed.   6 answers
Poll created by cal2cool4u
Closes: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:00 am

I'm not sure why the questions are numbered 12-15 lol, but those are the correct questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ossian Grr aka "Josh"
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there an option for Sympathetic Cylon, just in case someone wanted to vote for it, or are you totally ruling that out? (I wouldn't vote for it anyway)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cal Corum
United States
Munster
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Boomer, err...Josh, you make me sad. I thought I did a good job on the poll, but I did miss that option. I can't edit the poll and it is far too tedious for me to want to recreate it so if anyone is interested in the Sympathetic Cylon mechanic PLEASE post or GM me with that note.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Foxwell
United States
Glen Allen
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neo from BSG286 Checking in if you'll have me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ossian Grr aka "Josh"
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Where can I read about "Complex Destiny" and "Treacherous Destiny" variants?
I'm a big fan of going as-house-rule-light-as-you-can, but maybe these are interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cal Corum
United States
Munster
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I have posted the descriptions of each variant below. These are a couple of the more common variants used that I like which is why I included them in the vote.

Complex Destiny
The destiny deck will be created with 3 cards from each skill deck instead of 2. When it is 1/3 full (5 cards in base, 6 in Pegasus), it will be refilled and reshuffled.

This is designed to complicate the card counting and make destiny more unpredictable.

Treacherous Destiny
Destiny is created without Treachery. Whenever a Human Player discards Treachery, it is shuffled into the Destiny deck. Destiny will be rebuilt when it reaches either 0 or 1 card.
If combined with Complex Destiny, it will instead be rebuilt when it reaches either 5 or 6 cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Dean
United States
Escondido
CA
flag msg tools
The Golden Camel UberBadge is a mystery. Nobody knows where it came from or how it got there.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for explaining the variants. I got my votes in. I like the idea of Complex Destiny as it keeps randomness of the destiny deck, as it sounds like it should be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cal2cool4u wrote:

This is a placeholder topic for BSG 298: Hostile Work Environment which will get kicked off as soon as BSG 297 fills up.

We've filled up! Good Hunting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cal Corum
United States
Munster
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

GerryRailBaron wrote:
cal2cool4u wrote:

This is a placeholder topic for BSG 298: Hostile Work Environment which will get kicked off as soon as BSG 297 fills up.

We've filled up! Good Hunting!

Thanks, Gerry!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cal Corum
United States
Munster
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I received a few explicit "In" responses and have marked them in the quote box in the OP. When everyone is comfortable with the game options, please quote the "Invites" box and post your response so we can fill this up.

Current Finalized Game Options*:
- No New Caprica destination

* More than one "Must Not Have" responses will rule out a game option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Scott
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Invited
(Rematch Players)
Invites wrote:
1. Dolus
2. Neolarthytep
3. jozxyqk - IN
4. magi210 - In
5. hybridfive
6. nwfn - IN

I'm in. I'll work around everything else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Dean
United States
Escondido
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Invited
(Rematch Players)
Invites wrote:
1. Dolus - IN
2. Neolarthytep
3. jozxyqk - IN
4. magi210 - In
5. hybridfive
6. nwfn - IN

I'm in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Foxwell
United States
Glen Allen
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Invited
(Rematch Players)
Invites wrote:
1. Dolus - IN
2. Neolarthytep- I
3. jozxyqk - IN
4. magi210 - In
5. hybridfive
6. nwfn - IN

Of course

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cal Corum
United States
Munster
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Well you guys assembled fast! We just have two more voters to complete the poll before we have the final decision on game options made and we can confirm our player lineup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Scott
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Downloading Pegasus/Exodus components to Vassal onto the work laptop as we speak.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hurd
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I seem to be the last person to vote in the poll. From the way I read it, I'm also the source of the only Must vs Must Not conflict, which is over Complex Destiny.

My position on Complex Destiny is essentially constituted of two points. Everything after that is commentary.

One, the game already has mechanics for discouraging destiny deck manipulation. Those mechanics include the Pegasus reprint of Investigative Committee, being an unrevealed Cylon saboteur, and being a competent, deceptive, revealed Cylon saboteur.

Two, Complex Destiny doesn't actually discourage card counting. It simply hinders card counting from people who don't want to take the tiem to do probabilities out. AND it only affects one deck out six or seven. As I implied midway through 286, I was card-counting the Tactics deck. I was capable of card-counting all decks, but Tactics was the only deck I was actively manipulating at the time.

Decks in this game are meant to be cyclical. Cards come up, are tossed in the discard pile, and then come back. Complex Destiny creates a chance that a single card just disappears from play, and is constantly reshuffled into the Complex Destiny deck without ever emerging from it. The chance depends on the number of reshuffles, but it's still higher than 1% after four reshuffles, which is long enough to function as the whole game in some circumstances. In using decks that have all have "1-of's," that's a not-insignificant risk to me.

The prior point becomes particularly important because we appear to be using Exodus. Unlike the 5 value cards, the effect of the 6 value cards can not be duplicated. Losing a 6 value card is something like 2 in 10,000, but it would still be pretty crappy if it happened.

In addition there's the edge-case interaction between Complex Destiny and Trust Instincts. Neither resolution to the timing of the two events seems to hold any particular merit of over the other. Given the amount of PBF games already run, I imagine that someone might have run into the problem before. But I'm unwilling to commit the time to read and find out.

The whole thing is basically a giant hassle that is incredibly easy to avoid. I'm hoping that whoever voted for Complex Destiny will consider what I have said here and re-evalute their opinion. But if your opinion remains the same, even after having read this nice long rant, I'll respect the fact that you voted first and bow out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ossian Grr aka "Josh"
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I voted "indifferent" and "would not like" on the house rules, respectively, but just because I was mildly curious. As I said, I'm generally against wacky house rules but it was hard to express in a poll.
I'd rather have all the players back in the game than push someone out, though.
Can we just not use those extra variants?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cal Corum
United States
Munster
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

The Game Options have been decided:
- We will use Pegasus and Exodus characters and cards.
- Despite some varied responses, the overall trend for the Pegasus board is a "yes"; we will be using the Pegasus board.
- We will be using the Cylon Fleet Board.
- We will include the Final Five and Personal Goal cards in the Loyalty deck.
- The votes were a rather hard "no" on New Caprica and a slightly more subtle "no" on the Ionian Nebula, so we will be traveling to Kobol.
- We are completely split on Complex Destiny; 1 Must, 1 Must Not, and 4 Indifferent. My inclination is to err on the conservative side, so if nobody wants to split the tie my decision would be to not use it. Any takers?
- In our 6-player game, we will either have a Cylon Leader or use the official no-sympathizer variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cal Corum
United States
Munster
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

cal2cool4u wrote:

The Game Options have been decided:
- We are completely split on Complex Destiny; 1 Must, 1 Must Not, and 4 Indifferent. My inclination is to err on the conservative side, so if nobody wants to split the tie my decision would be to not use it. Any takers?

I've read through the discussion and I think that, with Josh's and Chris' hesitance about the house rules, we are not going to use either Destiny variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cal Corum
United States
Munster
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Please also note the House Rules that are listed in the original post. These are a little less optional because I think they protect serious holes in the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [47] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.