Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
That's exactly what a Cylon would say!
badge
All is dust...
mbmbmbmbmb

This is another thrift store find, and I believe it's a great one. It's a trivia game with a few, simple mechanic changes that makes it strategic and much less random. I didn't upload the pictures, so my thanks to Proleary.

Goal of the game

This is a trivia game, through and through. You wander around a simple board and depending on the space you stand, you'll have to answer a type of question. There are two teams with four player pieces each, get all four of your player pieces to the center and win.

Components

This game has a colorful board with simple wooden figures for each of your playing pieces. The cards are all of a good quality, held in a box with excellent dividers so that you know which of the four subject areas you're picking from. Each of the four subject areas -- When, Where, What and Who -- are related to a color and a symbol, so it's quite easy to tell what's going on in the game.

Trivia! And more!

What's interesting about the game is that the trivia cards have four clues, each of which make the answer a lot more obvious. The players have two guesses and they can decide if they want to make a guess, or listen to the next clue. Every clue they hear will reduce the value of the trivia question. If they fail to guess, the opponents (except for the question reader) will be able to steal.

What's interesting here is that movement is tied to the clue. If you answer on the first clue, you move 10 spaces (or a little more than 1/4 around the board). After that, you move 7, 4, and then a pathetic 1 space.

However, there's a Sorry mechanic that allows you to bump one of your opponent's figures back to the start if you land on them. Since you can effectively choose how far you can move, this adds a layer of strategy. Do you go faster now that you know the answer, or wait for another clue so that you can damage your opponent's chances?

Even better is that all four of a player's pieces are start on all four of the corners. Since the goal in the center has to be reached by the same path, some pieces start closer to the end than others. You choose which piece moves before getting the question. This means that sending someone back to start is a reasonable non-random strategy. Getting around the entire board is a challenge when your opponent has three pieces ready to intercept.

Critique

First impressions will have you thinking that this is a run-of-the-mill trivia game. However, the moment you consider which of your starting pieces to move, you realize there is a more strategy than just getting trivia facts correct. Do you move the figure closest to the goal? That would prevent you from having the figure in place to intercept your opponent. What about the one furthest away? You don't want to overtake your opponent by a single space; they'll almost certainly answer a trivia question after four clues!

And that is almost universally true. After four clues, almost anything can be answered. What starts as a difficult question "In what month was MLK assassinated?" becomes quite obvious when you're told "This is the month in which people routinely play pranks on each other". So unlike most Trivia games, you actually feel like there's more to the success than just you-know-it-or-you-don't. And every additional clue gives fodder to your own guess, and you'll be kicking yourself for not shouting out "Cher" as the answer one clue earlier.

The four subjects of the game - When, Where, What and Who - are wide categories but the authors of the game didn't make it too hard. For example, events far in the past are asked in a specific decade rather than the specific year. That said, you need to know that the game was published in 2001 for some of the pop-culture. For example, the game is unaware that there were two President Bushes.

This is also a very US-centric game. For those of us living outside the States, State capitals are very rarely game changers but they are often the final hint. Knowledge about the founding fathers and various Presidents are assumed to be common knowledge, whereas geographical understanding of South America, Asia and Europe as thought to be 'very difficult' clues.

Bottom Line

At the end of the day though, if I want to play Trivia with a group of friends, I'd prefer this game (with its lack of dice) to almost everything else on the market. The strategic element from movement of your playing pieces, along with the steady stream of clues, makes this game much more interesting than your run-of-the-mill Trivia game.

I highly recommend it, if you can find it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chud
United Kingdom
Burntwood
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Jesus loves you..... Cthulhu thinks you taste like chicken !
mbmbmbmbmb
I have it for trade if anyone is interested?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.