Subject: Betrayal Awesome! Zombies Sucks. What game is this more like? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anthony Avelar
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have this game on pre-order because I wanted a game to play with middle-school students like betrayal. The reason betrayal is good is because the theme is great. The problem with middle school students is that it is hard for them to read what they have to win if they are the bad guy in betrayal. This seemed to have the theme without the hard reading for one player. It also seems that people that don't like random wins won't like this game, even though I think they are fun and add to the horror of horror stories.

Zombies on the other hand was dice without any storyline which made it not fun. People who have played this, let me know what you compare it too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read though the rules briefly but I want to try a game out solo and see how it plays. If no one else comments, I'll hop back in and share.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Harris
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Much closer to Betrayal. Actually very little like Zombies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillermo Hernandez
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More along the lines of a Betrayal clone.
Small differences, some good, most others make it simpler and less engaging than betrayal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashley Grenon
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Zombies, but I own and love playing Betrayal. This game is very similar to it. Even the tiles are the same shape. So far, I've played the first two scenarios with 3 players.

I think Level 7 is more challenging than Betrayal. It has a really strong theme. I really like the fear mechanic. Unlike Betrayal, this is only for 2-4 players versus 3-6. So, that kinda sucks because my game group is 5, but then it works out because I can play it with just my husband.

There is not as much reading as in Betrayal, although there is a blurb describing the beginning of the scenario. I would say the rules are a little more challenging to master in Level 7.

I really don't mind that it feels like it borrowed a lot from Betrayal. That's what made me purchase it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Avelar
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds great! This definitely seems like a perfect purchase. I wish my friend would have been able to get it at GenCon. Will this be out soon or are we going to have to wait past September?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Schoonover
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game comes out September 19th.

As far as comparisons to Betrayal, it is possibly the closest game to what we've done with [ESCAPE], but there are a lot of differences.

A short list off the top of my head...

-You have a resource to manage. Manipulating your fear is how you accomplish most things, and how the game interacts with you.

-There is no "badguy" player. From the start to the finish everyone is in the same boat. You can choose to do things for your friends, or against them. You can also switch tactics and help a person you've hurt, or the other way around. Also, the rules of the game control the enemies, and they start coming at you from the beginning.

-The goal of the scenario is known from the beginning. You don't have to try and discover what you are trying to do.

-There are a lot more playable "characters" in [ESCAPE]. With 18 skill cards to draw from there are a lot of combinations for which 2 you will draw.

I've played Betrayal quite a few times, and I will admit that it influenced some of the development of this game, but so did things like Munchkin Quest, Zombies, and Siege of the Citadel. I think that we've come up with a truly unique game experience, and I hope everyone has as much fun with it as we do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reaper Steve
United States
Alamogordo
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own both Betrayal and Zombies. When I was thinking of a list of games with similarities, those two didn't even come to mind. Of course, I'm not going to argue with the designer when he says his game is similar to Betrayal, I'm just saying I didn't make either of those connections.

Games with similarities that came to mind are:
The D&D Adventure series (Castle Ravenloft, Wrath of Ashardalon, and Legend of Drizzt) because of the foundation of 'draw a tile then draw an event." However. the enemy AI is much more robust and can be manipulated by the players based on how they manage their fear, threat, and play certain cards. Also, the nature of the cooperation between the players is much different. To be clear... I am not saying that Level 7 [Escape] is like the D&D Adventure System--it's a much different game--but I think the draw a tile, draw an event mechanic of Level 7 is very similar and it was the first comparison I made.

Gears of War BG since your hand of cards is also your health. (But I can't speak to it's actual gameplay, which looks pretty different.)

The semi-cooperative nature reminded me of Arkham Horror. Yes, the latter is fully co-op (barring a couple cards), but I see similarities in both games for the need for the players to do what they are best at and not necessarily remain in a tight pack. In fact, Level 7 [Escape] penalizes you if you group up too much.

I had another 1-2 games in my mind, but I've been playing Level7 almost exclusively for the past two weeks in preparation to write a review, so the game has solidified a place of its own with me now. If I recall them, I will update it here.

One major difference with Betrayal is that no one switches sides (although people may start acting more self-serving as the danger increases and the chances for escape diminish.) That's a strength, as you don't have to hope that one person doesn't botch being the bad guy. On the other hand, Level 7 [Escape]'s AI is fairy robust and it helps to have a person that is well-versed in running it. For the poster who mentioned his middle school group, this way work very well in your favor (assuming you are the one to learn the AI.)

Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ketchupgun
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Reaper Steve wrote:

Games with similarities that came to mind are:
The D&D Adventure series (Castle Ravenloft, Wrath of Ashardalon, and Legend of Drizzt) because of the foundation of 'draw a tile then draw an event." However. the enemy AI is much more robust and can be manipulated by the players based on how they manage their fear, threat, and play certain cards. Also, the nature of the cooperation between the players is much different. To be clear... I am not saying that Level 7 [Escape] is like the D&D Adventure System--it's a much different game--but I think the draw a tile, draw an event mechanic of Level 7 is very similar and it was the first comparison I made.

The semi-cooperative nature reminded me of Arkham Horror. Yes, the latter is fully co-op (barring a couple cards), but I see similarities in both games for the need for the players to do what they are best at and not necessarily remain in a tight pack. In fact, Level 7 [Escape] penalizes you if you group up too much.

This is all good news to me. I was curious...this seems a bit more meaty hat D&D system. which is fine by me...i enjoy the D&D games just fine too.

we LOVE AH, though its usually a good 4 hr fest at our house (maybe because we chat too much) but i find the sprawling setup deters my solo gaming of it...how does Level 7 compared>

Also, if this is anywhere as frustrating and binary as Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game please let me know so i can run the other way.

Ruleswise, it seems wa-ay simpler than what folks make Mage Knight Board Gameappear to be...i dont have that much time on my hands anymore. I am still working thru ASKSK#1, whch is enjoyable.

any other comparions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Setup time for Level 7 is a drop in the bucket compaired to Arkham Horror. You only have to manage a few decks, throw a couple cards on your character card, and make sure you have the right number of bad guys and tokens needed. There's not a whole lot more to it, which is great because clean up is pretty fast too.

I don't think it's as frustrating as Death Angel, but don't expect to win a whole bunch. Whereas in Death Angel you could just get stomped and not be able to do anything, Level 7 is at least a fun ride to the end (in the games I've played so far it's been real close). I should note I enjoy Death Angel, but this doesn't feel quite as hopeless.

Rules took me three plays to remember everything, but when I did it got much more fun (and tense). Mage Knight has dozens of rules for each situation, and while Level 7 has lots and lots of rules, they pertain only to the gameplay that happens every turn so you learn them quickly. There are some subtlties that are easy to miss, and the rule book doesn't make everything easy to find, so I'd suggest going back through it after a play or two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.