Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am playing firefight #4 (FF4), Black Brigade. It's Round 2 and as German player I want to bring my Motorized Infantry Platoon onto the board as a group using CAPS. The setup indicates these units should enter the board from the half-hex 3-G19.

My question is about how constrained I am bringing in these 9 units as a group, given the starting hex is a single hex, G19. (There are 4 trucks, 4 Rifles with MG26t and a 5cm Mortar). Interpreting the rules literally, I assume I need to stack all 9 units on the half-hex before activation, then activate them as a group and move them.

Now, in my current game situation, I want to use 1 CAP and move them only 1 space to adjacent hexes (I don't want to send the trucks down the road just yet). So my choices are to move into the two adjacent full hexes, F18 and G18, and the half hexes F19 and H19, and maybe leave 1 unit on the starting half hex G19 (I really want to stay behind the hill in hexes F18 and F19 but that doesn't affect my question.)

Is this a correct interpretation of the rules? Can I move to half hexes this way.

Now, what I really would like to do maybe contradicts the rules. Here is where I really need some help. I would prefer to bring the entire group in along a 5 hex front (behind the hill), starting with 2 units (truck and infantry) on the start hex G19 and then additional units on F19, E19, D19 and C19. I would then activate the units and bring them onto full hexes with 1 movement along a 5 hex line. Is this permitted? I question whether this is legal because only 2 units out of 9 actually start in the starting hex G19.

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał Ozon
Poland
Opole
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Only full hexes are playable, units can't move into half hexes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Michal. You are correct. I didn't take the time to phrase my first question correctly.

What I was doing was grouping the reinforcements off-board on the entry half-hex, G19. Then with 1 CAP on the first turn group-moving some of this group to the adjacent full hexes (F18 and G18) and then virtually, off-board, considering some of the original units on the G19 half-hex to now be on the adjacent half-hexes (F19 and H19). The units on the 3 half-hexes are still off-board, and hence still reinforcements waiting to come on, and so can't participate in any real action, but are still part of the group containing the full hex units, which are legitimately in play (i.e., they are all adjacent even though some are still off-board). On the next turn I activate the units on all 5 hexes, "actually" adding the 3 half-hex units to the group, which are really new reinforcements entering as part of the group containing the two full hex units; using 1 CAP I now activate all units from these 5 hexes and bring them all onto full hexes and hence into the game proper, as a group.

I was seeking confirmation as to whether that was legal. This is a bit of a stretch of the single entry hex requirement in that I consider part of the group to disperse off board to other adjacent off-board hexes during the first turn.

Taking that further is my second question, for which I am also seeking an answer. Do all units have to start on the entry hex G19, or is it sufficient that one unit in the off-board group be on the entry hex, and the others be adjacent in a line from G19 through 4 adjacent half-hexes (e.g., through C19)?

This idea of an off-board group I got from reading some CoH rules thread some time ago regarding group entry onto the board. I can't locate it now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał Ozon
Poland
Opole
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Lewis,
So you want to move a unit from G19 to F19 and H19 in an off map movement? I think it is forbidden, unless scenario state, that off map movement is legal.

The second question - I think it depends from scenario. In firefight #4, these units are moving along the road, and are forced to develop from the road on the open ground under enemy fire. Single hex entry forces player to act as if his troops were in such situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.