Popular Tags: [View All]
Jerry Hawthorne
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I started retiring my old tattered and threadbare Mice and Mystics prototype today. The proxy figures, hand drawn tokens, Kinkos printed cards and tiles. The cheese tokens made from Fimo clay, the wound tokens borrowed from some other game. It served its purpose well for the past couple of years. The wear and tear of hundreds of playtests was not kind to these adhoc components. Godspeed old soldier. You served well....

Hello shiny new Mice & Mystics with a box that farts a new game smell! Playtesting the future releases is going to be so much nicer with these top-o-the-line components! I went to the hobby store and bought all new paints for these well sculpted minis. I'm going to paint them up and post pictures soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob
United Kingdom
Okehampton
Devon
flag msg tools
hurrah, it must have been a long road for you I guess, and I am glad that you appear to have gotten a lot of interest which may hopefully bring some financial rewards.
You can't beat a bit of anthropomorphism i say
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ye shall always be remembered, Sir Prototype! We drink to thee!

Can't wait to get my hands on Mice & Mystics!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benoit Flageol
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
nobeerblues wrote:
I went to the hobby store and bought all new paints for these well sculpted minis. I'm going to paint them up and post pictures soon.

This is going to be my first game with minis, and I would like to try to paint it (first time too).

It would be nice if you can post step by step, what you painted, in what colors, or just different pictures taken in the process.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Hawthorne
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I will see if I can manage that. I will track the colors I use and the process. But I will say that I do a lot of steps when I paint. Perhaps I will make a simplified how-to for beginners or something. I am sure someone out there better than myself has done such a thing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benoit Flageol
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
I have found a guide for the DIP Method, if you have something else to recommend for the kind of minis in Mice and Mystics let me know!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Hawthorne
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh that DIP method is great for beginners and it is a fast way to paint a bunch of miniatures quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Wocken
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Freelance Game Graphic Designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I would highly recommend the dip method as well. There are a huge number of tutorials online. You'll probably want to prime your minis before you start painting them, that way the paint will bond to the plastic better. Post photos!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dundy O
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nidale wrote:
nobeerblues wrote:
I went to the hobby store and bought all new paints for these well sculpted minis. I'm going to paint them up and post pictures soon.

This is going to be my first game with minis, and I would like to try to paint it (first time too).

It would be nice if you can post step by step, what you painted, in what colors, or just different pictures taken in the process.

What he said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elstree
United States
State College
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pandawear wrote:
You'll probably want to prime your minis before you start painting them, that way the paint will bond to the plastic better. Post photos!

Before you even get to priming, you'll want to trim off any molding lines remaining from the casting process and wash the minis with dish soap to remove any of the release agent. Then make sure they're good and dry before you prime!

For priming plastic minis like these I've had good luck with Krylon Fusion for plastic.

For those that are curious I posted some systematic experiments with the dip method over on Heroscapers a couple of years ago.

Also, for first time painters I highly recommend buying a bag of cheap army men (or ninjas, in the case above) from your local dollar discount store to practice on a few times before you start on your game minis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sims
Australia
Kangaroo Flat
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nidale wrote:

My I suggest obtaining some minis that are not too important to practice with as you will get better with practice and you do not want to spoil the fantastic looking mice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bubba P
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As good as this game looks to be, you will definitely want to put that prototype away for future display in the International Board Game Museum! Or just to sell on EBay!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RHPDaddy wrote:
Or just to sell on EBay!

I don't know, isn't that like saying you should sell one of your children on ebay?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.