Dustin Whitmire
United States
Pilot Point
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rulebook states that:
any Act 1 quest that the heros did not attempt is assumed to have ended in an overlord victory pg. 21

In regards to relics in The Cardinal's Plight, The Masquerade Ball, and Death on the Wing... Does this mean if any of these quests are not chosen by the heros, then by default the OL has acquired these relics for use beginning in ACT 2? Or would your interpretation be that this statement is only in regards to defining the available quests in ACT 2?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
dustwhit wrote:
The rulebook states that:
any Act 1 quest that the heros did not attempt is assumed to have ended in an overlord victory pg. 21

In regards to relics in The Cardinal's Plight, The Masquerade Ball, and Death on the Wing... Does this mean if any of these quests are not chosen by the heros, then by default the OL has acquired these relics for use beginning in ACT 2? Or would your interpretation be that this statement is only in regards to defining the available quests in ACT 2?

It's only for defining the available quests in Act II. Thematically, I guess the OL "won" those quests by default because the heroes never showed up, but he didn't get as much out of them as he might have otherwise because he was distracted elsewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Albritton
United States
Tupelo
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's only meant to define what quests are available for Act 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, that assumption is only made in choosing a quest, not in the quest rewards. For example, if the Fat Goblin quest was not played, during Act II, only The Frozen Spire may be chosen as a follow-up quest.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Whitmire
United States
Pilot Point
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
No, that assumption is only made in choosing a quest, not in the quest rewards. For example, if the Fat Goblin quest was not played, during Act II, only The Frozen Spire may be chosen as a follow-up quest.

-shnar

I basically agree with all of you, but if I was playing devil's advocate you can read on pg. 29 of the Quest Guide in regards to The Ritual of Shadows quest:

If the heros win, they receive 25 gold per hero and claim "staff of light" relic FROM THE OVERLORD"

ROS can be played, for example, if the heros never selected Cardinal's Plight in Act 1. This could be read to support the idea that the OL did indeed acquire the relic from CP not being selected in Act 1 and now has it, in order to be claimed FROM THE OVERLORD, according to the text. After all, it would make no sense that in ROW, Farrow starts with the staff if the
OL had not won it from an assumed Overlord victory

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's completely beside the point. The section about assuming overlord victory is on pg 21, which states:

"It's important to note that, for the purposes
of determining which Act II quest is available,
any Act I quest that the
heroes did not attempt is assumed to have ended in an overlord victory."

(emphasis added) The only time it's assumed to be an overlord victory is for determining which quests are available, that's it. Otherwise, the Overlord would receive 2 to 3 free XP and free Relics (if he received the rewards of those quests), with the heroes not being able to do a thing about it. That would just be dumb, and as stated here goes against the rules.

Now, as for The Ritual Of Shadows, this is just bad planning on FFG's part to assume the Overlord has the Staff of Light, since it's possible to play that quest without the Overlord having that Relic (as you noted, but also just as a standalone quest). But I've never been one to suggest FFG knows all of its edge cases...

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.