Vanuatu» Forums » Rules

Subject: Can someone report ever having used the Preacher to good effect? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ruben Zurita
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
This role seems to be the hardest to pull off with good effect, and have yet to play and have it be a benefit, which makes me think that it is less beneficial than the other roles. I wanted to see if others have had similar experiences? I wonder if the role's use would be better if it did not have the limitation of needing to not have simple majority anywhere else to make use of it, or if that would over power it's role in comparison to the others?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruben Zurita
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
From reading some of the other rule clarifications, I think I am not playing one of the rules correctly, and this error is making the Preacher less useful. So i wonder if this rule is correct:

If a Player does not have a simple majority in a selected action, they must pick one of the actions and take out their selection markers (without doing the action)?

I have been playing the game with the understanding that if you did not have a simple majority in any of your selected actions, you skipped your turn, which would make the Preacher less useful, because you still were able to potentially make use of an action when you later had majority ranking. I had thought that the rule of mandatory selection of an action applied only when you had majority in it (even when it lead to no results - because you did not have any fish to sell before you were able to fish, to give an example). This clarification of the rules would raise my appreciation of the value of the Preacher. Could anyone comment?

The game is beautifully designed and unlike any other that i have played, well worth having in any board gamer's collection, and even though I have never won, I enjoy playing the game.

Thank you Alain for desinging this wonderful game.

-Ruben Zurita

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zurita7 wrote:
From reading some of the other rule clarifications, I think I am not playing one of the rules correctly, and this error is making the Preacher less useful. So i wonder if this rule is correct:

If a Player does not have a simple majority in a selected action, they must pick one of the actions and take out their selection markers (without doing the action)?

-Ruben Zurita

That is correct, Ruben. In regard to the original question: no, I have not seen the Preacher used well. However, my intuition is allowing it to be used when you do have a majority to take a minority action would be too strong. I suspect that came up in playtesting and influenced the current ruling. Of course, I'd like the designer to confirm that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have used it to good effect once that I recall (in somewhere just shy of ten games). I've tried to use it more than that, but too often ended up with a majority somewhere. Initially, I thought it would most benefit those later in turn order who lose tie-breakers, but I'm not so sure. When I'm later in turn order, I tend to spread out a bit, but if you spread out too much with the preacher, you will almost always have a majority somewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played with the role cards yet, but I'd suspect that as start player, I might take the Preacher to enable me to spread out a little bit while discouraging others from outbidding me. So even if I don't use the Preacher, my opponents knowledge that I have it could affect their bidding.

Again, that's all theory though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Garbe
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't had a chance to play the game yet, but can't the Preacher be viewed as a sort of "insurance policy" in that it guarantees you the ability to carry out at least one action on your turn? It also potentially gives you an opportunity to screw-over another player by taking an action they would have otherwise got to do first, although you need to have NO other majorities in order to do so... Perhaps that is easier said than done
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

It's a very effective card even when not used. It contorts the decision making process of every single player as they place workers as they no longer can be confident of shutting you out of a key action.

It is the best card in the deck for those late in turn order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruben Zurita
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
I thought it might be best used later in the turn order but this has not been true in game play (for me - no one else wishes to chose this role) or to help me spread out my influence tokens, but as Ben has experienced, "When I'm later in turn order, I tend to spread out a bit, but if you spread out too much with the preacher, you will almost always have a majority somewhere," this too has happened to me, so i do not find it useful for this.

As Dave has experienced, I have found it distorting other people's decisions but more when I am higher up on the turn order, and only if i do not spread myself too thinly.

Sadly, my error in understanding the rules (thanks Jon for clarifying my mistake) regarding losing a turn when you do not have majority in any action had made the Preacher less effective/useful (now that i understand the rule, the preacher could have saved me a lost turn).

Thanks for the feedback.

ps. has anyone thought about making the role selection after you select your actions? (i understand that this would make the game easier to play, but that might actually increase the fun for some of my friends who find this game hard to think through several steps in the future - a quality that i find facinating about the game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

I wonder if the difference is that I have generally played only 5 player games. I can see with a lower player count that it is more likely a player will have a majority somewhere, at least in times when he really cares about it, because you simply have less contention for the limited number of actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Larkin
England
Brighton
Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the Preacher is one of the less valuable roles, but there are times when it is worth taking. As has been said its value often comes from the effect it has on how other players view things rather than necessarily on what you do.

If you don't lose an action if you don't have a majority the whole game would be a lot less ruthless, and I would like it less!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gerrits
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dkeisen wrote:

It's a very effective card even when not used. It contorts the decision making process of every single player as they place workers as they no longer can be confident of shutting you out of a key action.

It is the best card in the deck for those late in turn order.

Yes, it seems at least part of the strength of the Preacher is how it changes the behaviour of other players during the worker placement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Przemek Traczyk
Poland
flag msg tools
Hello
I have a 2 questions after the first playing:
1)if you buy a cube of product you can put it on the first ship (from topmost)or any other (for example: the 3-rd ship is almost full but their no cava, you take one a you may put it on this ship or on the first becouse there is the first possibility to lay it?
2)When can I used the Preacher card? When I don't have simply majority but i have the same numbers od markers on this action or if a dońt have any (no majority) on the action place i choose one of them even if someone have simple majority.(ex. I,m RED. i have 1 marker on the SAIL action but GREEN have 2 markers and YELLOW have 2 too. GREEN is a first player, I'm third. Can I used PREACHER card when is my turn and do action or not).

Thank you for your help
Przemek

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Larkin
England
Brighton
Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
traxek wrote:
Hello
I have a 2 questions after the first playing:
1)if you buy a cube of product you can put it on the first ship (from topmost)or any other (for example: the 3-rd ship is almost full but their no cava, you take one a you may put it on this ship or on the first becouse there is the first possibility to lay it?
2)When can I used the Preacher card? When I don't have simply majority but i have the same numbers od markers on this action or if a dońt have any (no majority) on the action place i choose one of them even if someone have simple majority.(ex. I,m RED. i have 1 marker on the SAIL action but GREEN have 2 markers and YELLOW have 2 too. GREEN is a first player, I'm third. Can I used PREACHER card when is my turn and do action or not).

Thank you for your help
Przemek

I am not sure I fully understand your questions but
1) exports have to go on the first available ship
2) If you have the most tokens on an action space, or equal most but are first in turn order of those who are equal, you have a majority.
If you have a majority on one or more action spaces you can't use the preacher but have to take one of those actions
Only if you have no majorities anywhere can you use the preacher, then you can use any action space where you have a token.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Przemek Traczyk
Poland
flag msg tools
Thank you David
Maybe I write not to very clearly, but you answer give me information for my questions.
Best wishes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Seguin
France
Pessac
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reminder :
The preacher can be used for ONLY ONE action during your turn.
So, if you happen to not have majority a 2nd time, you lose one action.

(see answer given by the author in post http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/716636/the-preacher)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.