Lance Runolfsson
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The door is a jar.
mbmbmbmbmb
The only time before recently that i have had wargame goals. I was trying to meet has been related to miniature games, Building armies, terrain, writing rules etc.

Now I find I am developing definite goals related to board gaming. Do you have any current goals (aside from buying, learning or playing "Case Blue")?

Here is sort of where I am at

1] Build two movable 3'x4' board game tables in the game room (AKA Fuhrer Bunker). DONE. But know I find out the foot print for games has increased exponentially since the 70's 80's. even where the map itself is not bigger there is a plethora of charts tables etc that need to be laid out.

2] Keep working on trying to progress by one scenario a week through the "Conflict of Heroes" series. On schedule.

3]Get Chris to commit time to working through at least one scenario a month on Nothing Gained But Glory .Sadly only Chris will play this game with me and he spends an inordinate amount of time with his wife.

4] Get one of my other three opponents to get interested in working through all the Victory Point Games Napo0leonic 20 games at the rate of about one a month.

5] Get the other guys to realize that it is more important to get to group up and play multiplayers once a month like Wallenstein (first edition) or Soldier Kings than it is to give up another game night to have time with their families. In fact it seems like the biggest obstacle to a lot of my plans is other peoples families. My wife is good as long as I have dinner on the table every night at 5 and I hang out with her 3 nights a week. Whats the problem with every body else?

There's other stuff but this is already too long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
LanceRunolfsson wrote:
In fact it seems like the biggest obstacle to a lot of my plans is other peoples families.

They're so inconsiderate!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Runolfsson
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The door is a jar.
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
LanceRunolfsson wrote:
In fact it seems like the biggest obstacle to a lot of my plans is other peoples families.

I don't think the lack of consideration is intentional. We are, after all talking about young guys in their 40's. They just haven't matured enough yet to have a real handle on meaningful priorities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
401k? More like .357
United States
Bodymore
Murderland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
LanceRunolfsson wrote:

"And then I told him, I said, 'Dude, you get married and have kids, you're so cutting into our gaming time'. But did he listen? Nooooooo..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Runolfsson
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The door is a jar.
mbmbmbmbmb
CountDeMoney wrote:
wifwendell wrote:
LanceRunolfsson wrote:

"And then I told him, I said, 'Dude, you get married and have kids, you're so cutting into our gaming time'. But did he listen? Nooooooo..."

See this is what I don't get. The reason you have kids is to give the wife something to do to keep her out of your hair. Or at least that is what I would assume not having any kids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LanceRunolfsson wrote:
1] Build two movable 3'x4' board game tables in the game room (AKA Fuhrer Bunker). DONE. But know I find out the foot print for games has increased exponentially since the 70's 80's. even where the map itself is not bigger there is a plethora of charts tables etc that need to be laid out.

1) If you have unused wall space, hang a nice picture. Then on game nights take it down and put up the charts you need framed.

2) GBC ProClick System. Put all your charts and/or scenarios into one easy spiral bound flip book you can modify over and over again.

3) If you have a smart phone, PDF the charts you need.

4) 3M clips you can mount on the edge of the boards, where you can hang the charts either on a clip board or in a sleeve so they can be easily picked up and referenced and then put back out of the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
LanceRunolfsson wrote:
wifwendell wrote:
LanceRunolfsson wrote:

I don't think the lack of consideration is intentional. We are, after all talking about young guys in their 40's. They just haven't matured enough yet to have a real handle on meaningful priorities.

Shit man, I've ALWAYS had my priorities straight.

Woman don't wargame, she hits the road.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucius Cornelius
United States
Rome
SPQR
flag msg tools
badge
Lord Protector of Nothing in Particular
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:

Doesn't she deserve a fair written warning at least 2 weeks in advance? kiss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
LanceRunolfsson wrote:
The only time before recently that i have had wargame goals. I was trying to meet has been related to miniature games, Building armies, terrain, writing rules etc.

Now I find I am developing definite goals related to board gaming. Do you have any current goals (aside from buying, learning or playing "Case Blue")?

I got this crazy goal of trying to play all of my unplayed games.

The reason it keeps driving me crazy is that I'm not one of those guys with 500 unplayed games. My number hovers around 40. This year, I haven't bought that many. Instead, I got bit by the trading bug and have been trading less desirable ones. At least I have played the vast majority of my new ones, but my list still hovers at 40.

I created a Geeklist to break that goal into bite-sized pieces, such as playing all of my card driven games, my Civil War games, my Avalon Hill games, pocket games, and such, but it seems like when I get close to completing it, I go and punk myself, such as when I got down to 2 card driven games and then added 3 more this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
sullafelix wrote:
calandale wrote:

Doesn't she deserve a fair written warning at least 2 weeks in advance? :kiss:

I warn 'em 'fore I meat 'em.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Runolfsson
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The door is a jar.
mbmbmbmbmb
jyeackle wrote:

1) If you have unused wall space, hang a nice picture. Then on game nights take it down and put up the charts you need framed.

2) GBC ProClick System. Put all your charts and/or scenarios into one easy spiral bound flip book you can modify over and over again.

3) If you have a smart phone, PDF the charts you need.

4) 3M clips you can mount on the edge of the boards, where you can hang the charts either on a clip board or in a sleeve so they can be easily picked up and referenced and then put back out of the way.

If I were to hang stuff on the wall I would also have to blow it up in size so I could see it. But I like the clipboard Idea and the binder idea. Already use clipboards to keep hidden movement mini maps on!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Runolfsson
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The door is a jar.
mbmbmbmbmb
airjudden wrote:

The reason it keeps driving me crazy is that I'm not one of those guys with 500 unplayed games. My number hovers around 40. This year, I haven't bought that many. Instead, I got bit by the trading bug and have been trading less desirable ones. At least I have played the vast majority of my new ones, but my list still hovers at 40.

thats a lot of what I am trying to do but I also want to wind up feeling like i have given each game a fair amount of time. Maybe not to completely master but at least get to the point where I am not having to constantly flip through the rules!

And stupid I keep buying more and trading for stuff 2. The stack of games i want to get through at the moment is probably only about 20 deep. But if I spend a fair amopunt of time on each I figure its a couple of years worth of games. Since most of them are multi scenario games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear
mbmbmbmbmb
LanceRunolfsson wrote:

See this is what I don't get. The reason you have kids is to give the wife something to do to keep her out of your hair. Or at least that is what I would assume not having any kids.

Good in thoery, but the practical application of said theory doesn't work out so well......

My wargaming time has dropped off considerably, but I expect it to increase when the little general grows up enough to be indoctrinated, ah... shown the fun to be had playing wargames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
LanceRunolfsson wrote:
Get one of my other three opponents to get interested in working through all the Victory Point Games Napo0leonic 20 games at the rate of about one a month.

You're a great American, Lance (and I like your name too)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magister Ludi
Australia
Fremantle
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Roll low!
badge
You are a paradox to me, a contradiction You're a predicament for me, and a prediction
mbmbmbmbmb
My only goal is winning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like goals, but they always seem to morph, or reality morphs and the goals need to be re-imagined.

One of my goals was to become an expert at Battles from the Age of Reason (BAR), but my wargaming buddy was seduced by that Whore of Babylon, Case Blue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Runolfsson
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The door is a jar.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hungadunga wrote:
I like goals, but they always seem to morph, or reality morphs and the goals need to be re-imagined.

One of my goals was to become an expert at Battles from the Age of Reason (BAR), but my wargaming buddy was seduced by that Whore of Babylon, Case Blue.

I'm Glad the BOAR's are expensive and complex. I don't need another series to be interested in collecting! Like the battles covered though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Thompson
England
Winchester
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
LanceRunolfsson wrote:

4] Get one of my other three opponents to get interested in working through all the Victory Point Games Napo0leonic 20 games at the rate of about one a month.

I'd be up for this via Vassal/PBEM, just in case your regular opponents decline

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Runolfsson
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The door is a jar.
mbmbmbmbmb
ShallowThought wrote:
LanceRunolfsson wrote:

Thanks for the offer. I used to do a lot of PBEM but totally burned out on it. I like my opponents sitting across from me so I can smell the fear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Thompson
England
Winchester
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
LanceRunolfsson wrote:
ShallowThought wrote:
LanceRunolfsson wrote:

Thanks for the offer. I used to do a lot of PBEM but totally burned out on it. I like my opponents sitting across from me so I can smell the fear.

I understand that; I had a few months break from pbem earlier this year. Really enjoying it now however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
airjudden wrote:

Isn't the pile of unplayed games part of the wargamer soul?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LIVE VASSAL has helped cure what ails me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Hon
Canada
Maple
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
taragalinas wrote:
airjudden wrote:

Isn't the pile of unplayed games part of the wargamer soul?

Nope, it's the pile of unPUNCHED games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
I'm German. That's what we do...
mbmbmbmbmb
CountDeMoney wrote:
wifwendell wrote:
LanceRunolfsson wrote:

Well, you know... you can have kids and bring them to the dark side.

My son turned six this year and I love to play Talisman (Revised 4th Edition) with him. And also Memoir '44 (even if he needs some help with the cards).

We both enjoy playing solo wargames where he joins me like Phantom Fury - I ask him to roll and after you tell him if he needs to roll high or low (first we had to deal with "altitude" since he took high / low literally) all hell is breaking loose. I also let him watch and roll when I play SCS with a buddy ftf.

If you start early enough kids are great devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
401k? More like .357
United States
Bodymore
Murderland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alphawolf wrote:
If you start early enough kids are great :devil:

You know, I tried that with my niece.

Now here's a kid that, as a toddler, was totally enamored with trains; she was fascinated with DVDs of trains, books with trains. I buried her in Thomas the Train toys. Took her to model train shows. I had visions of building Marklin sets with her.

And then my sister said, "You do know that once she figures out trains are for boys, it's all over."

I said, No way. This girl is too intelligent. She's far too smart to pigeonhole herself with gender-specific roles. We'll be modelling trains well into her career as an astronaut after she graduates from Colorado Springs as a B1B Lancer pilot.

And then she met the Disney princesses, and all my hopes and dreams exploded in a big pink mushroom cloud. With fairy dust. And glitter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.