Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jacob Scott
United States
Lutherville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just learned about this the other day, and I can't find any posts about it on this forum. For anyone looking for a robust storage/transportation solution for their games (not just Dominion), check out this system on Kickstarter. I'm only posting it on the Dominion forum, so please feel free to put it up on other games' boards.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1286842883/the-keep-any-...

Disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with this product; there are enough "storage solution" posts here and on other forums that I thought I would pass it along for anyone still looking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I juggle cats.
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, a $170 price tag and a $750k funding goal? Good luck to them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...and that doesn't include the shipping

According to the front page, it looks like the molds are very expensive for this...but I'll be happy to keep my cheap box thank you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't wait to back this........

Wait, I'm not a complete fool. Give me a break.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walsh
United States
Batavia
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't be too cynical of the funding goal-injection molding tooling is not cheap. 350k is quite reasonable for tools in that world.

It's a cool system, too pricy for my blood but I understand where the pricing is derived. Injection molding needs high volume to bring the costs down. Unfortunately while we think we are a big community we aren't that large.

What if you went after a second consumer group to supplement volume? Fishing, rc hobbies, artists, etc? Maybe that could help get your funding goal and keep prices a bit lower?

Good design though, I do like it. I wish you folks luck!

Jason
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randolph Williams
United States
Ypsilanti
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scotjn1 wrote:
I can't find any posts about it on this forum.

Just out of curiosity, what term did you search for?

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/9826448#9826448

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/9858713#9858713

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/9858722#9858722
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
johnweldy wrote:
Ohhhhh, I missed the 'k' in "$750k" :cringe: yuk

Seems to be good stuff, but still high on price. They got Tom Vassal's good graces, but still don't think that'll be enough
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Jersey
United States
Rives Junction
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
johnweldy wrote:

And they still have $720,000 of it to raise in 40 days, this one is bust, there is no way they'll make their goal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Scott
United States
Lutherville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ktrazz wrote:
scotjn1 wrote:
I can't find any posts about it on this forum.

Just out of curiosity, what term did you search for?

D'oh! It never occurred to me to search for parts of the URL. I was using various forms of "grumpy" and "grumpy owl" (the company behind it) to see if they were plugging it. I also see now that "the keep" would have found those. Sorry!

Then please consider this extra exposure for it in it's own thread instead of being buried within other storage threads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ZillaGod wrote:
johnweldy wrote:

And they still have $720,000 of it to raise in 40 days, this one is bust, there is no way they'll make their goal.
that's only $18,000 / day! But using what jwalsh1 mentioned, it seems like they'll have to redo this, but with a $250K or $500K goal to make it more reasonable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Mondaro
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How heavy will that thing be full loaded?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Matthews
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been following too. I'd consider it even with the heafty price tag but I not with the waiting an indefinite amount of time, maybe, if it's funded. I really hope they make it, especially since the concept is for many games. But it will have to be good enough for me to shell out that kind of money to replace my 25$ tool box that already works fine.

E

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben MacFarlane
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the idea, though it is way too expensive for me to support. If it could be taken a step further, and there were custom modules for individual games, it would be fantastic. Taken an even more unrealistic step further, if these custom modules came with games, that would be amazing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Laws
Canada
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
"I play to win, as much or more than any egoist who thinks he's going to win by other means. I want to win the match. But I don't give in to tactical reasoning as the only way to win, rather I believe that efficacy is not divorced from beauty."
mbmbmbmbmb
They've not done their market research. Include a hatful of plastic minis and this thing would blow through it's goal in no time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
badge
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
mbmbmbmbmb
So much negativity in this thread. If you like the solution (as I do) and are willing to pay $170 for it, then please back it. Who cares if it doesn't meet its funding goal: if it doesn't then you pay nothing. At the very least it will help them to gauge demand. If nobody backs the project because nobody thinks it can make it, then obviously it will not make it. And in addition they might have no desire to re-launch a great idea because they saw that nobody is interested.

The reality is that plenty of people are interested, however many of them seem to not even bother because they don't think it will be funded.

Personally what I want is one full set (outer case, great vault, 5 magic chambers) and then perhaps 5 or 10 more magic chambers. For the games that I tend to travel with, especially the ones that don't fit well into other solutions (e.g. Dominion and Thunderstone) I can leave them permanently in one or more magic chambers. Other games that I tend to travel with a lot I can leave permanently in other magic chambers.

When I'm on my way to play some games, I can grab 5 magic chambers plus the great chamber. Or many times I could slide 10 magic chambers into the case and off I go (when I don't need any boards or rulebooks, e.g. for Dominion).

I'm somebody who has to fly with my games on a fairly regular basis. Currently I will try to consolidate around 10 games into the boxes for a few games, put them in my suitcase, and hope for the best. Every time I notice some damage to my game boxes. So I'd really like this solution.

Something I recommended about the project is, if it fails, to re-launch with just the magic chamber, parts bin, and dividers. I'd hope the price could be much smaller. I think it would still be very nice to have, and then later down the road you could hopefully buy the full case to put them into.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HarlemMimeSchool wrote:
They've not done their market research. Include a hatful of plastic minis and this thing would blow through it's goal in no time.

And make a video game about it and they'll hit their $2,500,000 stretch goal!

The market size for "people who travel with several board games on a frequent enough basis to require a custom storage solution and are willing to shell out $200 for a box" is just too small to get this kind of funding in such a short time. Sure, there are niche companies like Battlefoam that do this (and service bigger markets; e.g. miniature collecting/gaming, where pretty much any single "army" requires its own custom storage/travel case), but I'd be surprised if Battlefoam grossed $750,000 over their first few years in business, let along in a couple months.

On the other hand, I'm honestly surprised this Kickstarter has over $30k of funding... so maybe it's got a better chance of reaching $750k than I thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iNano78 wrote:
On the other hand, I'm honestly surprised this Kickstarter has over $30k of funding... so maybe it's got a better chance of reaching $750k than I thought.

A lot of people are willing to shell out more for a kickstarter project than they would for the actual product.

Myself included, to some extent. Suits me fine to help musicians get their stuff out, even if I probably wouldn't notice them in a record store.

170 is a bit too much for my good-hearted wallet though, and I can't really claim to need that box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkbauer wrote:
So much negativity in this thread. If you like the solution (as I do) and are willing to pay $170 for it, then please back it.

Maybe most of us just don't want to spend that much. When I heard about this project for the first time some days ago, my immediate thought was: if it's 50 euros (~ 80 dollars), no problem, I'm in. It's not, so I'm not interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.