Lords of Waterdeep
Lost Cities
No Thanks!
Race for the Galaxy
Shadows over Camelot
Small World
Stone Age
Ticket to Ride: Europe

I was looking for new game, somehow different in a way from the ones listed above.
The next addition to my collection should be:
- no longer than 2h30min;
- not a light game;
- not a cooperative game (most of my friends are not into it);
- up to 4/5 players.

Also I'm 23 and usually play with people of my age.

Please help me =)

Thank you in advance for your help,
João Duarte

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see a lot of nice Euros in that list. It's time for you guys to start shedding some blood:

Chaos in the Old World

Get Chaos in the Old World: The Horned Rat Expansion for nights when you have five players.

Enjoy. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
El Grande is good for 4, great for 5 and not recommended for less.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ErikPeter Walker
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/145148/
badge
Expand
mbmbmbmbmb
You have good taste (well, at least similar to mine), and the game I notice is missing from your list is Agricola. It's longer than any of those (30 min/player), and meatier, and tons of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Garber
Canada
Vauxhall
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll 2nd El Grande and will also recommend Settlers of Catan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll 3rd El Grande or Hansa Teutonica. Both play wonderful with 4/5 players and both have great levels of strategy and multiple paths to victory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João Duarte
Portugal
Barreiro
Setúbal
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you guys for the help so far.

I'm not yet sold on Agricola and El Grande, only because theme wise speaking I'm not sure if my gaming group would be very much into them.

Any more suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I´d suggest Citadels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kay Lee
United States
Ellicott City
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
eclipse, power grid, sid meier's civilization, or game of thrones 2nd edition

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Adams
United States
Clinton
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmb
I would suggest Cargo Noir by Days of wonder. It is adversarial in the fact that you are directly competing for resources. The illegal shipping theme is something that you don't have represented either. The only down side is I belive that the game length is about 60 minutes.

Another one I would suggest is Railways of the World. I have a very similar collection to yours and feel that this game is a must.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ErikPeter Walker
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/145148/
badge
Expand
mbmbmbmbmb
El_pilo wrote:
Thank you guys for the help so far.

I'm not yet sold on Agricola and El Grande, only because theme wise speaking I'm not sure if my gaming group would be very much into them.

Any more suggestions?

Personally El Grande felt really flat. I didn't get much out of it. But obviously its rating can attest to BGG's love for it, just like Agricola (which I feel is a better fit). If those aren't floating your boat, however, I'd next suggest Alien Frontiers. It's a bit lighter but still has more to it than most of your list, and plays in abut an hour. With dice-related resource games there is a lot of contention as to which is best, so you may want to check out others in the category (Troyes, Kingsburg, etc.) as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rohlfo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nice collection, looks similar to mine (although I'm missing a few of those good ones still!)

Anyway, agree that settlers is a great option, also agree with the Citadels suggestion, although for me it's towards the lighter end of the game spectrum. Personally though, I'd go for the obvious, Puerto Rico.

For something a bit different, I enjoy Mississippi Queen (although it's also a bit lighter) and for a funny one, I'd suggest Red Dragon Inn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan James
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
Professor, isn't it time for your nap?
badge
YES, DAMMIT!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played The Castles of Burgundy last night, and it was pretty awesome. Covers all the criteria you have, and seems like it would be a good addition to your collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João Duarte
Portugal
Barreiro
Setúbal
flag msg tools
mb
And recommendations other than Euro Games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
El_pilo wrote:

Do you think your group would like something like RoboRally? Or another racing game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João Duarte
Portugal
Barreiro
Setúbal
flag msg tools
mb
Probably not Gamemanue.

Has anyone tried VivaJava: The Coffee Game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You have a pretty good spread already. It's hard to come up with games that don't have some overlap at least.

I'd strongly suggest Core Worlds. It has some overlap with Dominion and Race for the Galaxy in the sense that it has some deck building, some tableau building, and is sci-fi themed. But this game is cut throat as you compete to build up for the same cards in the middle. It has an extremely tight escalation. And since competition for limited resources is so stiff, it brings a wonderful tension to the game that I find Race and Dominion both lack. You will be sitting there sweating over whether someone is going to nab that card you want, and how will you cope with it if you do? You are pretty sure you are one turn ahead of them getting it, but what if they have a trick up their sleeve?

Hansa Teutonica is a fantastic game. It's a solid medium weight euro that has so many different paths to victory and play styles.

Space Empires 4x is a space war game. For me it perfectly captured the feel of playing a 4x game on the computer, but abstracted enough of it away to keep it playing smoothly on a board. Because that really is the tripping point for most large scale civ building games. Game state upkeep that is normally done by a computer is instead done by hand and causes the game to drag out obscenely. But not Space Empires! I'd strongly urge you to look into it. It's not the flashiest looking game, but the gameplay is there in spades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madhujith Venkatakrishna
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about the following games:

Modern Art- IMO one of the best auction games
The Princes of Florence- One of my personal favorites. Auction, Puzzle, great depth for a simple enough rule set
Steam- Wallace! Great pick up and deliver game
Mystery of the Abbey- IMO a great deduction game
Thurn and Taxis- If you like TTr, then I would say this is a better version of the game
Carson City- Fun, Strategy, Dice Rolling, Fighting
Lords of Vegas- I just love this game, so much fun

Of course you have the standard ones like Puerto Rico, Agricola, Notre Dame etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Shanowitz
United States
Bristol
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own and love a lot of the games you mentioned, so it looks like we have some similar taste.

+1 Agricola
Whatever you think of the theme, the gameplay is awesome. You've got Stone Age and Waterdeep, so if you want to move on to a heavier worker placement game then this is it. Of course Age of Discovery might fill that space, but I haven't played it yet to know for sure.

+1 Puerto Rico
+1 Core Worlds

For non-Euro games:
Nexus Ops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristoffer Helmuth
Denmark
Copenhagen
KBH S
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Cosmic Encounter..

In my humble opinion one of the funniest games around. Huge replayability. Base game from 3-5 with exspansions up to 8.. Unless you of course want an eurogame, which it is not..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Roos
United States
Guilderland
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
El_pilo wrote:

For more of a non-Euro that isn't too bloaty with mechanics or the wordy-ness of AmeriTrash I would reccomend Cyclades.

Plays 2-5...with a modular board the changes based on number of players. It's a auction game at heart, but built on the backdrop of a war game. And it comes with a whole lot of nice pieces. It might be what you're looking for especially in the 4-5 player range.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João Duarte
Portugal
Barreiro
Setúbal
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you everyone for your help.

I ended up going with Power Grid. Hope it fits just right.

Good games to all,
João

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Parker
United States
Aggieland
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
You're only young once...but you can be immature the rest of your life!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
El_pilo wrote:
Thank you everyone for your help.

I ended up going with Power Grid. Hope it fits just right.

Good games to all,
João

Good game...but epic fail with our recommendations! Power Grid was never mentioned! Happy gaming and let us know how it plays with your group!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Glover
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL, as I was moving down this thread, two games came to mind. Power Grid and Pandemic. Good choice with Power Grid, just do not play it with a math major.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Parker
United States
Aggieland
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
You're only young once...but you can be immature the rest of your life!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
GreyGnome wrote:
LOL, as I was moving down this thread, two games came to mind. Power Grid and Pandemic. Good choice with Power Grid, just do not play it with a math major.

Hahaha AMEN! Cuz when those calculator apps start opening on those cell phones...you know you're in for the long haul!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.