Tom Stewart
United States
Leesburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the past 3 months I have acquired, and learned to play, 1830 (my first 18xx game). I think it is a great game/system - it has become one of my favorite games. After attending WBC and meeting a few other 18xx players, I learned of 1861. Several people I met there really seemed to like it. After reading the reviews here on BGG, it appears that there are a number of folks here who like it as well, and think it successfully integrates a number of great features from other games as well as inventing some of its own. But there are also quite a few who don’t like it much. It seems that the primary complaint against it is the tame market.

That said, is it possible to simply create a less tame market? Could one use the same, or similar, market rules as used in 1830, …or just house rule it? In my Mayfair copy of 1830 there are variant rules that allow several different implementations of the market rules (e.g. share price drops only 1 per block of shares sold, rather than per share sold), and it seems that the game would play fine using any of the variants. Is 1861 amenable to such market rule changes as well? Seems a waste to let such an otherwise well-loved game sit on someone’s shelf.

So what say you veterans?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abn Rgr1978
United States
Portland Area
Oregon
flag msg tools
You can do what you want but do not expect much support.

1861 is a highly rated and popular game as is.

I beleive you can find as many, if not more, detractors of the 1830 type stock market as you will supporters.

My guess is it would ruin the game. Each game is generally put together with a balance between the components. Making a change of that magnitute would likely unbalance the game.

It would also mean when you play with others not in your group there will be differant expectations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.