ys jo
msg tools
Hello,

I have been trying to construct a One-Deck-To-Rule-Them-All for sometime and with Osgiliath finally conquered, I think it is time to share the result so far.

This deck does not work against all scenarios, especially Dol Guldur and Rhosgobel.

The deck will do well against:
First 2 Core Set quests.
All Mirkwood Cycle EXCEPT Rhosgobel
First 4 Dwarrowdelf Cycle quests.
Massing at Osgiliath.

I have yet to test this deck against Khazad-Dum quests, but I do not see a reason why it wouldn't work (testing against Khazad-Dum is on my to do list).

I don't have Foundation of Stone and Shadow and Flame yet, but I suspect with some tweaks to include the awsome player cards from those packs, Deck can probably hold its own against those 2 as well.

Can't really comment on the Hobbit quests and Battle for Dale because I have no idea what those quests look like.

The Deck also plays well in 2 player setting as support for combat heavy deck (namely mono-tactics filled with Eagles and/or Dwarves)

So here is the Deck.

Heroes (27 Threat Cost)
Theodred (Leadership)
Frodo Baggins (Spirit)
Aragorn (Lore)

Leadership Cards [21 Total] (13 Allies / 6 Attachments / 2 Events)
Snowbourn Scout x3
Son of Arnor x2
Faramir x2
Dunedain Watcher x3
Erestor x3
Celebrian's Stone x1
Steward of Gondor x2
Sword that was Broken x3
Sneak Attack x2

Spirit Cards [18 Total] (8 Allies / 4 Attachments / 6 Events)
Northern Tracker x2
West Road Traveller x3
Arwen x3
Unexpected Courage x1
Ancient Mathom x3
A Test of Will x2
Hasty Stroke x2
The Galadhrim's Greetings x2

Lore Cards [9 Total] (9 Allies / 0 Attachments / 0 Events)
Henamarth Riversong x1
Gleowine x1
Erebor Hammersmith x2
Miner of the Iron Hills x2
Warden of Healing x3

Neutral Cards [2 Total]
Gandalf x2

The Deck was built with 1 Core Set, so if you have access to 3 cards of A Test of Will or 2 copies of Riversong and so on, feel free to replace some cards.

The Cards that didn't make the cut, but came awfully close were:

All the 2 cost allies (especially the Rohans except Escourt from Edoras)
Shadow of the Past (Still thinking of including them)
Lorien's Wealth (Erestor made the cut)
For Gondor! (Certainly fits the deck, but since most powerful enemies have higher engagement cost, not as useful as it appeared at first)

The Cards I think need some reasoning

Son of Arnor: effective against Archers, Snipers, Wargs, Watcher, Witchking
Dunedain Watcher: easily one of my favourite cards. Ever had situation where you ended up hanging up to Hasty Stroke all game long, waiting for that one nasty shadow to come up? Why not commit 1 WP to quest while waiting?
Erestor: the Deck has so many unique cards, once Erestor hits table, he use his ability almost every turn. Really close call between Erestor and Lorine's Wealth, but in the end Erestor being ally let him make the cut
Miner of the Iron Hills: he is like A Test of Will that cancels conditional attachment trecheries. Also being an ally makes him useful in this deck.
Gandalf: yes, only 2 copies of Gandalf. Most of the time I end up not needing Gandalf and just spam him when the victory is all but certain for better score. With all these good cheap cards, his cost of 5 brought it down to 2 copies only.

Key Cards

Sword that was Broken: 3 copies of this guy ensures I see it almost every game. The deck is light on Lore and heavy on Leadership because of this card. Also gives WP buff that are useful in almost all quests.
Faramir: Along with Sword that was Broken, Snowbourn Scouts are questing for 2 and West Road Traveller for 4. Also helps with stalling when necessary (Like in Redhorn Gate where you need that damn VPs)

Good Cards

Snowbourn Scout: 1 cost ally, enough said.
Steward of Gondor: While this card is not as essential in this deck, early SoG can help shorten the game by 2~3 turns. Ideal to go on Aragorn, but often goes on Theodred as well.
Celebrian Stone: Great card, but only 1 copy makes it inconsistant.
Sneak Attack: Ideally with Gandalf, often with Son of Arnor, ocasionally with any ally for emergency chump blocking.
Northern Tracker: Not essential due to awsome quest power of the deck, but still good to have in Mirkwood Cycle.
West Road Traveller: one of the best cars in whole game. 2 Cost, 2 WP, swapping locations... just so good. Often used to deal with harmful locations (Necromancer's Pass), unable to travel locations (west/east bank in Osgiliath), and reusing beneficial locatios (Forest Gate)
Henamarth Riversong: Pity there is only 1 copy of this guy. Letting me know exactly what is coming up really helps a lot.

What to Look for in opening hand

Keep the hand if you have....
Steward of Gondor
Celebrian's Stone
only 1 copy of Sword that was broken
Henamarth Riversong
Gleowine
4 cards or more are 2 costs or less

Take the Mulligan if you have....
More than 3 copies of 4 cost cards.
2 or more copies of Unique cards (Erestor, Faramir, Sword that was Broken)
5 or more copies of non ally cards

The worst thing you could possibly do is taking a mulligan when you have lot of cheap allies to look for Steward of Gondor.

Basically take Mulligan only if you end up with too many costly cards or
2 or less allies.

Early game strategy against Osgiliath (and many other scenarios)

From my experience, there are 2 things you need to do to win this game,
1. Survive and deal with enemies early game.
2. Be able to quest a lot late game.

Of course, there are quests that doesn't apply to these 2 rules (namely Rhosgobel), but not that many.

Osgiliath and Anduin are ideal quests to test your deck, because you need to deal with enemies early (Scouts / Hill Troll), and quest a lot late game (Witch King / Stage 2B).

Here is how this deck deals with Osgiliath.

First turn
If you can play Snowbourn Scout or Riversong, play it. Do not save for that second turn Steward of Gondor. But usually you won't play anything.
Do not commit any of 3 heroes to quest.

If only Snaga Scouts and Wolves engage,
Take them both undefended (1 Damage on Frodo, 4 on Aragorn).
If you get nasty Shadow, use Frodo's ability,
Kill Wolves with Aragorn and Frodo, Snaga Scout with Theodred.

If all 3 scouts engage (Because you got one too many doomed 1 or that 4 threat location),
Take them all undefended (1 Damage on Frodo, 3 on Theodred, 4 on Aragorn),
then kill Snaga Scout and Wolves.

If Snaga Scouts and 2 Wolves engage,
Take them all undefended (1 Damage on Frodo, 4 on Aragorn, 4 cancelled with Frodo)
If you had Snowbourn Scout, throw it to one of the wolves.

It is possible that 2 or more enmies will get nasty shadow, killing one of your heroes. But that happens very rarely. +3 attack shadow on Snaga Scout won't kill a hero yet, and chance of being engaged with a Snaga scout + Wolves + Wainrider/Wolves and Wolves + Wainrider/Wolves both getting nasty shadow when you don't have Snowbourn Scout is so low that is like saying you can lose to Passage through Mirkwood if you get Caught in a web and Ungoliant's Spawn.

Then on 2nd turn, you would have Wainriders, and whatever came out during first turn.

Use Frodo's ability aggressively, and do not quest if you have 2 or more enemies to deal with immediately, the Threat of enemies / Locations (except for one 4 Threat location) is low enough you will stay alive.

In about 3~4 turns, you would have cleared all the enmies, and by now your threat will be 45+, so use Aragorn's ability.

Commit +2~3 more than what's in staging area, hoping to stall on stage 1, but more often than not you will end up progressing to stage 2 prematurely unless you get Riversong.

While stalling you are looking for Faramir and/or Sword that was broken and about 4+ allies on the table from your own deck and Ranger of Ithilien from encounter deck.

The Encounter deck of Osgiliath isn't big, and Ranger can join players even if it comes up as shadow, so you are very likely to get it within 5~6 turns (More enemies = more shadow = more chance of getting Ranger, and this quest has decent number of enemies)

When you have survived first onslaughter of enemies and found the Ranger of Ithilien (which I almost always do, but very rarely Ranger of Ithilien didn't show up while I had enough to quest through WitchKing, in that case sacrifice Theodred once Aragorn has Sword that was Broken), The game is as good as it is won.

Quest through with army of allies + Faramir and/or Sword that was Broken.
Neat trick is to engage Witch King with Son of Arnor before questing.

Osgiliath is not as hard as it appears to be, due to lack of direct damaging trecheries (your questing characters are safe) and high threat locations (no location locks)

Frodo's ability deals with early enemies.
Aragorn's ability deals with Threat gain.
Sword that was Broken / Faramir deals with late game questing
Theodred's ability deals with tri-sphere deck's resource problem

There are definitely room for improvements, and perhaps there are comboes that can be done that I've missed, but I feel like this deck has very good chance against all the quests so far (except Rhosgobel and Dol Guldur)

Edited for Spellings and Typoes, but I suspect I still missed fair bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oleg volobujev
msg tools
mbmb
Your deck sounds good. I also always build up my deck with idea to play against all quests. So here is my deck which one can win any quests.Yes even Dol-Guldor and Rhosgobel. Shadow and Flame just come out and i think this deck cannot do much against Durin bane but all other quests very good win ratio.

Total Cards (50)

Hero (3)
Aragorn (Core) x1
Denethor (Core) x1
Glorfindel (FoS) x1

Ally (14)
Arwen Undomiel (TWitW) x1
Gildor Inglorion (THoEM) x1
Gleowine (Core) x2
Haldir of Lorien (AJtR) x2
Snowbourn Scout (Core) x3
Gandalf (Core) x3
Erestor (TLD) x1
Henamarth Riversong (Core) x1

Attachment (22)
A Burning Brand (CatC) x2
Asfaloth (FoS) x2
Celebrian's Stone (Core) x2
Dunedain Mark (THfG) x2
Healing Herbs (FoS) x3
Light of Valinor (FoS) x2
Protector of Lorien (Core) x2
Unexpected Courage (Core) x2
Steward of Gondor (Core) x3
Sword that was Broken (TWitW) x2

Event (14)
A Test of Will (Core) x3
Daeron's Runes (FoS) x3
Elrond's Counsel (TWitW) x3
Sneak Attack (Core) x3
The Galadhrim's Greeting (Core) x2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Barth
Germany
flag msg tools
Interesting deck. I always love to see some "forgotten" cards to resurface like Son of Arnor.
Only real critique I have: Where are Daeron's Runes? They are too good to pass up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Only real critique I have: Where are Daeron's Runes? They are too good to pass up.

Agreed. Daeron's Runes belongs in every Lore deck, three times.

Even if it turns a 50 card deck into 53 cards, it will make it better.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really liking what I see, thanks ellareth!

Also, GG given for taking the time to explain your strategies and tips+tricks with this deck. It makes it a lot easier to understand how a deck is supposed to function rather than looking at just a list of cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brother Leon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 GG for this thinking it was a Geek Badge...
mb
+ 1 for 3 ancient mathoms - a really underrated card in my book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ys jo
msg tools
Glaurung2 wrote:
Yes even Dol-Guldor and Rhosgobel.

Even Dol Guldur?
I guess having 2 power houses (Aragorn and Spirfindel) would make that possible. Can't wait to try your deck once I get Foundation of Stone with few tweaks as I only have 1 Core Set.

sirprim wrote:
Interesting deck. I always love to see some "forgotten" cards to resurface like Son of Arnor.

Still on vacation so I haven't made any purchases since Long Dark. Daeron's Runes will probably end up replacing Erestor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Barth
Germany
flag msg tools
nssxxx wrote:
+ 1 for 3 ancient mathoms - a really underrated card in my book.

Ancient Mathom underrated? I never heard anybody dislike that card. :p

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.