14 Posts

Dominant Species» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question on domination rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Blakely
msg tools
mbmb
So we played our first game last weekend. 10 yo son,13 yo daughter,my wife and myself.

We had a blast and the fact that the board is constantly changing kept everyone engaged and interested at all times.

The only thing Jew stumbled over was the dominance vs ap dominance.

So an animal can achieve dominance, and the cone is placed - but this is completely different than placing an ap on dominance and scoring points, correct?

We were confused initially that you needed to play and ap onto dominance if you wanted to place a dominance cone on a tile, but after re-reading we decided that this could no be correct because the rules mention scoring a tile via ap placement on dominance while another's animal he dominance(cone) on a tile and would draw the card.

Soweplayed it that dominance cone placement was separate from ap dominance for scoring points. this was correct,no?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominance cones just show which animal has dominance on that tile. The cone can be updated any time on anyone's turn, as dominance might change.

Choosing the Domination action has nothing to do with cones on the tiles. However, executing the Domination Action Pawn may involve picking a tile on which there is a cone. First you score the tile by number of cubes and then the owner of the cone gets to pick a card and execute it, which is why you'd generally pick the tiles with your own cones.

Make sense?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
As Mark says, the cones are merely indicators of who is currently dominating the tile based on adaptations and board elements. No action is necessary to change cones - it happens automatically as necessary when the game state changes.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
As Mark says, the cones are merely indicators of who is currently dominating the tile based on adaptations and board elements. No action is necessary to change cones - it happens automatically as necessary when the game state changes.

Quote:
However, executing the Domination Action Pawn requires picking a tile on which there is a cone.

This is not the case. You are allowed to pick a tile which has no dominance cone. In that case the tile is scored as normal but no event card is triggered.

-MMM

Misspoke, already corrected. blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wil
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Read more comics!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm quite happy to hear that this game was a hit with your family. I've been wanting to introduce Dominant Species to my wife and 12 year old daughter but have been worried that they might not like it.

The theme is fantastic and I know they'll enjoy that, plus they like worker placement games but we have really only tried the lighter side of these so far: Stone Age, Lords of Waterdeep, Kingsburg. Dominant Species is a bit of a step up from these.

If you have any tips on a successful introduction to the family, I'd love to hear them if you have a moment.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Bit of a step up and very much more directly confrontational. That's not for everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The game is quite easy and a 12yo will easily handle it. The depth is in the gameplay which can take a game or two to get to grips with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Morgan
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wgerken wrote:
I've been wanting to introduce Dominant Species to my wife and 12 year old daughter but have been worried that they might not like it.

The theme is fantastic and I know they'll enjoy that, plus they like worker placement games but we have really only tried the lighter side of these so far: Stone Age, Lords of Waterdeep, Kingsburg. Dominant Species is a bit of a step up from these.

Thanks!

Yes, it is a ste up up in terms of depth of decisions from these games, but the rules are actually quite easy to follow, it is just the immense depth of the choices that are challenging. My wife, my 9-year old son, and I have played twice now, and we are all still sort of "feeling out" the strategies available in the game. I suspect it would take many, many plays before we truly understand how to enter the game with any sort of gameplan or strategy...and I look forward to every one of those many, many plays! Great game!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
wgerken wrote:
I'm quite happy to hear that this game was a hit with your family. I've been wanting to introduce Dominant Species to my wife and 12 year old daughter but have been worried that they might not like it...

Start with the short game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Stewart
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's sooo Hot out here...
mbmbmbmbmb
Domination:

If you place an AP on the Domination area, you will select your AP and place it on a tile.

It will do 1-2 things

1) Allow the tile to score
2) Allow the Dominant Player on the tile to select a card to activate.

Domination markers will also score bonus points when the ICE AGE card is selected
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Blakely
msg tools
mbmb
wgerken wrote:
I'm quite happy to hear that this game was a hit with your family. I've been wanting to introduce Dominant Species to my wife and 12 year old daughter but have been worried that they might not like it.

If you have any tips on a successful introduction to the family, I'd love to hear them if you have a moment.

Thanks!

The game was really easy to get everyone into. I explained the premise, let people pick the animal they wanted and ran through the rules in about 20 minutes tops. We had the moment of confusion about dominance cones vs. the dominance action,then webegan to play.

We made a few errors, like forgetting about the survival card and we all made the mistake of bunching up on a few tiles and didn't use the migration action as often as we could. The basic scoring was easily understood. Differentiating between the quality of a match and the when the number of species per tiles was important caused a few moments of confusion. But we agreed at the beginning to play to learn the rules the first time- so there was no pressure to get every point just right.

We did have a few moments when a tile was glaciated with nearly all of a player's species on it, but we all discussed this as a point as to why the migration choice is so important.

But it is the theme that ally held people, especially my son. When he was able to get on the up side of repopulating a glaciated tiles where he lost 80percent of his species on the board bp claiming that his giant furred snow snakes were going to dominate the tile, I knew he was sold on the game. And my daughter was smiling about this game and admitted that it would be fun to play again.

Easy to teach. You can just start playing and sort things out as you go. Use the effect of a bad choice to give everyone a chance to talk about what might have been better and why and have fun with making up tales about the species. Then you can start talking about the other strategies. The next day my son and I talked about the game and things to try. The depth is very approachable. And there is virtually no down time as the board is always in flux, so everyone feels excited to stay engaged. Even more so than when we play Carc.

Great,great game

I hope this helps you to get this game on the table with your family

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wil
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Read more comics!
mbmbmbmbmb
Major SNAFU wrote:
Great,great game

I hope this helps you to get this game on the table with your family

Yes it does!

Thank you very much and thank everyone for your feedback. This is exactly what I needed to hear to help me introduce this game to my family.

I'm looking quite forward to our first play.

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Butler
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wgerken wrote:

But it is the theme that ally held people, especially my son. When he was able to get on the up side of repopulating a glaciated tiles where he lost 80percent of his species on the board bp claiming that his giant furred snow snakes were going to dominate the tile, I knew he was sold on the game. And my daughter was smiling about this game and admitted that it would be fun to play again.

The thought of giant furred snow snakes is pretty awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like board games more than most people.
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
When I die I want people to look at the condition of my games and say, "Man, he really played these alot."
mbmbmb
ASLChampion wrote:
If you place an AP on the Domination area, you will select your AP and place it on a tile.

I just purchased the game and was reading through the rules and thinking how you could show which tiles had been selected when I ran across this.

Obvious now. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.