Hide
4 Posts

Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: A very different take on the raptor variant... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
frakkin toasters
msg tools
I've seen a lot of Raptor variant threads, but all of those seem to have been heavily focused on space combat. This one is a little different:

Raptors cannot attack, but otherwise follow the rules for launching, moving, damaging and piloting vipers. Any rules, card effects and/or abilities (other than attacking) that affect a viper can be used with a raptor instead.

When the current player is not a revealed cylon, each time a cylon ship or basestar activates in the same space area as a raptor the current player and/or the raptor's pilot (if there is one) may discard any one skill card from their hand and draw one pilot skill card. (Multiple raptors in the same space area do not increase the effect).

When piloting a raptor, pilot characters gain the following ability abilities:

Action - Look at the top card of the destiny deck. You may exchange it for any one card in your hand and then shuffle the destiny deck. Otherwise, you may place it back on the top or bottom of the destiny deck.

Action - You may activate each unmanned viper in your space area one time and/or move up to two civilian ships in your space area to an adjacent space area.

Edits in italics to increase combat effectiveness of piloting a raptor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hurd
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My opinion is that your variant is not powerful enough to be worthwhile. I would never give up my meta-game standing and trust of the other players for a cycling effect. The only player who does not make him/herself more conspicuous by doing either one of these things is a pilot, in which case, the act of not attack enemy ships is suspicious.

If I'm trying to be encouraging, I'd say "think bigger." But I think it's more constructive for you to think of a more useful mechanic.

For reference: http://mtg.wikia.com/wiki/Cycling

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
frakkin toasters
msg tools
I don't think you've thought through all the implications.

I don't see how this is limiting meta-game-wise at all. If anything it greatly improves the meta-game by creating more choices and giving players limited access to a wider variety of skill card for a reasonable cost.

The "cycling" mechanic allows pilots to draw fewer pilot cards and fish for them when they are needed and the mechanic is equally useful for humans and unrevealed cylons. Pilots can play the raptor piloting action to not only pull cards into their hand without anyone knowing what color they took, but also seed the destiny deck for or against the humans at the same time. The mechanic also makes it harder to card count the destiny deck.

It also allows non-pilot characters limited cycling for red cards they otherwise couldn't get. Since you have to discard a card to draw red you can plausibly say "I don't want to fill my hand with red so I better only draw one red card" and then claim you didn't get a useful one (even if you did) if you're a cylon.

I take your comment to mean that you view using either ability as tantamount to an automatic soft reveal or something. What is it about the rule that seems like it is damaging to the meta-game or is a trust-killing action?

Cycling for a red card isn't an automatically bad thing to do. The ability only allows you to do it when a cylon ship is about to activate. That's a very non-suspicious time to cycle for red, as in "I better cycle for a red and try to get an EM to help protect our vipers from those cylon baddies that are about to activate" or "I'm going to fish for a MF to use against the raiders that just moved into the same space as our civvies".

The abilities I proposed are equally useful for humans or unrevealed cylons and can be used situationally to either build trust or sew dissent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
frakkin toasters
msg tools
After reading your post again, I think you are also suggesting that piloting a raptor was too weak in space combat compared to piloting a viper and that choosing to pilot a raptor was therefore suspicious to begin with.

I've edited my original proposal to buff a pilot's space combat ability a little bit. If it's still too weak it might be better to allow up to N activations of unmanned vipers in your space area (tweak N to balance).

Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.