4 Posts

Masons» Forums » Variants

Subject: Balance idea: cap points earned at 10 per card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Richardson
msg tools
mb
My brother and I were playing Masons, and thought up the idea that the points gained from any card should be 10. This removes the element of luck of drawing a ridiculous 20 point card halfway through the game, which can be used with little effort. Additionally, many other cards reward "hard" achievements with about 10 points (e.g. 7+ castle earns 9 points). We feel this would make the game more reasonable and skill driven, since it puts a greater emphasis on defensive strategies, and little emphasis on focused strategies (e.g. put towers all along the edge of the water, ignoring what everyone else does).

What do you folks think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
richiebob wrote:
We feel this would make the game more reasonable and skill driven, since it puts a greater emphasis on defensive strategies, and little emphasis on focused strategies (e.g. put towers all along the edge of the water, ignoring what everyone else does).

What's wrong with the defensive strategy of not allowing 20-point situations to develop in the first place?

In my experience this may come from big cities. In my experience beginners tend toward enlarging cities. Experienced players are more circumspect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TVis wrote:
richiebob wrote:
We feel this would make the game more reasonable and skill driven, since it puts a greater emphasis on defensive strategies, and little emphasis on focused strategies (e.g. put towers all along the edge of the water, ignoring what everyone else does).

What's wrong with the defensive strategy of not allowing 20-point situations to develop in the first place?

In my experience this may come from big cities. In my experience beginners tend toward enlarging cities. Experienced players are more circumspect.

I bolded a sentence above, because I wholeheartedly agree. Part of good play is choking off large city growth, and choosing not to always join newly created cities to one mega city that will allow massive tower points late in the game.

If it's early in the game and you have a card that scores big points for towers in completed cities, obviously you're going to try to make any cities as large as possible. Other players MUST recognize this and limit city size, and elect not to join small cities together and make a larger city.

I think the game works perfectly as designed and needs no adjusting, just care on the part of the players not to let potentially massive point opportunities develop for opponents - just like if you see someone start placing wall segments & towers along the coast, you need to join those into cities as soon as possible, because your opponent surely has the 2-points-per-tower-on-the-water card that can be huge points too.

EDIT: I will say, though, that you need familiarity with the scoring cards. Your first play of the game, you won't know what types of cards exist in the universe of possibilities, so you will likely inadvertently play into the hands of an opponent holding a card you're unaware of. But with a couple plays you'll know what's possible, and be able to work to limit opportunities for your opponents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely would not play with a 10 point cap rule. The game certainly has some luck elements but rewards planning and forethought. The catch-up mechanism is excellent, where the losing player can exchange some or all of their cards after scoring.

I will play it as is and make sure that I do my best to develop the board in a way to help myself and reduce the points of my opponents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.