Subject: Clarification: Discard & Into My Parlour rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shawn Burk
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance!
badge
Rakes, my arch enemy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Discarding cards is by default from your hand, but Into My Parlour allows you to play cards placed on it, as if it was in your hand (but it is clearly not).

So to clarify, you may not discard for threat a Parlour'd card correct?

And to further it, as it is not in my hand, they may not be Wind Pacted as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Retired Hurt

Brussels
Unspecified
msg tools
That's the biggest advantage.

Other consequences of not being part of your hand nor of your deck :
- They may not be affected by Foiled Plans.
- They do not count against hand limits.
- They don't have to be put in play for you to get CPs from exhausting the deck.
- They are unaffected by Urgency.

Take them as being held in the Aethereal Plane.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deadsider wrote:

So to clarify, you may not discard for threat a Parlour'd card correct?

If you can play it as though it is from your hand, why not discard it? Discarding it is just a different form of playing it from your hand, for threat, instead of effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Burk
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Rakes, my arch enemy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
If you can play it as though it is from your hand, why not discard it? Discarding it is just a different form of playing it from your hand, for threat, instead of effect.

I was originally thinking the same thing, but the original rules state:

The overlord player may then discard one or more cards from his hand to collect extra threat tokens. basic rules, pg.9

I suppose it could easily be a case of not updating old rules, or it could be we are reading into it too literally. Parlour says it may act as if played from hand, but nothing about discarding.

In any case I still love the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deadsider wrote:
Quote:

I was originally thinking the same thing, but the original rules state:

The overlord player may then discard one or more cards from his hand to collect extra threat tokens. basic rules, pg.9

I suppose it could easily be a case of not updating old rules, or it could be we are reading into it too literally. Parlour says it may act as if played from hand, but nothing about discarding.

In any case I still love the card.

Whenever you play a card you also discard it - see pg 11 and 12 of the base rules. Discarding can either be at the cost of threat for an effect, or to gain threat, and both are done from the hand.

I think that discarding for threat is just a variant of playing a card (which explicitly includes discarding (the act of putting the card in the discard pile)) and therefore you can discard cards from IMP for threat.
Basically what I am saying is that discarding for threat is a special way of playing a card because playing includes discarding. Putting a card in the discard pile is an inherent part of playing a card, and you can play it to i) gain threat or ii) pay threat to gain effect.

I understand other interpretations, this is just the best argument I've seen as yet, IMO. FWIW, it was used against me, not by me, for an entire campaign (situation is now reversed in PBF campaign).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Retired Hurt

Brussels
Unspecified
msg tools
Played cards aren't necessarily discarded. Power cards aren't discarded, and aren't shuffled with the pack when it exhausts.

You play a card, apply its effect, and when said effect is out you discard it. In MTG terms, many cards are "instants", but power cards are "enchantments".
Now, in the same game, you may discard a card without it taking effect, for example to avoid paying the cost for some other card.
In Descent, when this happens, it is said whether the card gives you its threat (I nearly said "mana") value (as in Wind Pact) or not (as in Foiled Plans).

Here is perhaps a more general argument : when a card is played from your hand, you may do one of two things :
- apply its effect, be it instantaneous or persisting ;
- take its threat value.
As Into my Parlour says "as if it were in your hand", the procedure should be the same.

Now, would you discard your cherished trap card just to get 3-4 threat ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Burk
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Rakes, my arch enemy.
mbmbmbmbmb
corbon wrote:
Whenever you play a card you also discard it - see pg 11 and 12 of the base rules. Discarding can either be at the cost of threat for an effect, or to gain threat, and both are done from the hand.

I think that discarding for threat is just a variant of playing a card (which explicitly includes discarding (the act of putting the card in the discard pile)) and therefore you can discard cards from IMP for threat.
Basically what I am saying is that discarding for threat is a special way of playing a card because playing includes discarding. Putting a card in the discard pile is an inherent part of playing a card, and you can play it to i) gain threat or ii) pay threat to gain effect.

I understand other interpretations, this is just the best argument I've seen as yet, IMO. FWIW, it was used against me, not by me, for an entire campaign (situation is now reversed in PBF campaign).

Well I was originally wondering out loud as it might give me another option, as it'd be to my benefit in our campaign. However the more I think about it, I think it can't be done.

I'd argue to play a card requires a cost, in this case expenditure of threat. As a result, discarding for threat is not playing a card, it is a separate function as it is completely free with no restrictions. One could discard their hand at all times for no costs. Infact the first mention of discard in the basic rules is showing a "maintenance" function to keep a hand limited to 8 cards which is not a play, it is mandatory and bolded, then mentions you may do so for threat as well. Parlour says you may play it from the card as if it were in your hand, and as written does not mention the second function of discard. I think that's deliberate and probably against the intentions of the card (always having traps available). The argument that discarding is a type of play that results in threat I believe is contradicted in the basic rules pg11:

Important: The overlord player never collects threat tokens for cards that are discarded after he has played them and their effects have been resolved.

If this was not true, every time I play a card I would gain threat for it as it was discarded as well.

I see a clear distinction between the functions of discard and play and I think this is how we will play our campaign even though its against me unless I see a better argument.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Retired Hurt

Brussels
Unspecified
msg tools
Can't one argue that cards are played, either for the effect or for threat points ?

Compare with Napoleonic Wars and Path of Glory, where cards can be played for their specific effect, for operation points, or (in the latter) for reinforcement points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Burk
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Rakes, my arch enemy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Basic Rules, pg11:

Quote:
Each turn, the overlord player draws two cards from the overlord deck. The overlord plays or discards these cards to spawn new monsters, trigger special abilities and game effects, and collect additional threat tokens.

You may either play a card or you may discard it. Both are separate functions, and cannot combine card functions both because:
Quote:
Important: The overlord player never collects threat tokens for cards that are discarded after he has played them and their effects have been resolved.

In order for a card to be played and thus define what it is to "play" a card, this is what must occur:
Quote:
The overlord player must always pay a card’s threat cost when playing it. He simply returns the indicated number of threat tokens to the pile of unused threat tokens, making change if necessary. The overlord player cannot play a card if he doesn’t have enough threat tokens to pay for it.

Into My Parlour says:
Quote:
At the start of each dungeon, you may search through your Overlord deck for up to two trap cards and place them facedown on this card. These traps may be played as though they were in your hand, but do not count against your hand limit.

No mention of discarding, therefore we are adding text and a whole separate function to a card that simply is not there. RAW, there should be no discard.

Playing =/= Discarding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.