jwanthis
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Reading through these forums, I find that Descent 2E is a lot like a cup of coffee........people take thier Descent many different ways.

Some like it "black": They play very competitively and every rule is followed exactly. Other’s take their Descent with a little "cream and sugar": They follow the rules, but will make a house rule here and there to add to the theme. Yet others would like a "triple non-fat soy with 3 shots of vanilla and a few drips of coffee to taste" version of Descent: Rules mean nothing, it’s all about the story.

And just like coffee, the people take thier Descent with lots of "cream and sugar" can't fathom how anybody could take thier Descent "black" and vice versa.

People have very different tastes, but let's face it. In the end, no matter how you take it, that's a tasty cup of Descent.

Poll
How do you take YOUR Descent 2E?
So how do you take your Descent 2E?
I play by the rules as written to the "T". That's the way the game was intended to be played by the designer. I've replaced all of the map tiles with outlines on a grid and all the figures with cubes because theme and art are distracting. Win at all costs!
I like the theme, but Descent is a serious strategy game. I'm very careful about making any house rules because it may harm the balance of the game. The winner will be the player(s) that come up with the best strategy for each encounter. (typically me)
I love the theme and play by the rules in the rule book, but I'll make a house rule here and there if it makes more sense thematically. I don't mind losing too much if it came with a good story......Ok, I hate losing, but the story was pretty good.
I don't really care if I win or lose, it's all about the story arc for me. The rules are more of a guideline than anything else. This one time, my skeletal archers almost took down an entire party. Their thief just barely got away with the objective....It WAS epic!
I opened the box and shredded the rule book. This "game" is all about the story I create with my fellow story tellers (gamers). Sometimes, I like to put beastmen and Karnon on the same team, because they seem like they would hang out a lot in real life. A good story means we all win.
      109 answers
Poll created by janthis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, you seem to have left out "I'm trying to just play a game and have fun, but I have to houserule like crazy to fix all the broken junk and badly designed rules to make it fun".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
Quote:
Hmm, you seem to have left out "I'm trying to just play a game and have fun, but I have to houserule like crazy to fix all the broken junk and badly designed rules to make it fun".

Cry wolf much?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a mix of the second and third options. More like this:

I love the theme and play by the rules in the rule book. I'm very careful about making any house rules because it may harm the balance of the game. I don't mind losing too much if it came with a good story. Ok, I hate losing, but the story was pretty good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
I am "typically you".
Actually, I am not very "competitive", except that I do my best to win, by due respect to my opponents - offering them the most challenging opposition possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
I also would have added the following : "Descent v.2 sucks, it is desperately broken. FFG are incompetent, a useless band of money greedy amateurs: I will show how much smarter I am. Here are my genius inspired corrections to that terrible game... oh, well, I haven't even opened the box yet, but I am a superior mind."cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nite Wolf
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:

And he did it just to be mean to you and your unbiased opinion!!! How rude!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain BONNEAU
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robin wrote:
"[…]I haven't even opened the box yet, but I am a superior mind."

I want to change my vote!

--
Buggy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thijs Schipper
msg tools
Option 4 isn't exclusive of all the others. You can play by the rules exactly and still not care much if you win or lose.

I *would* vote for option 2 if didn't include the "I always win" clause at the end. 2/3 for now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Evans
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Board Game Replay
badge
Check out our series at youtube.com/boardgamereplay
mbmbmbmbmb
Option 3 for me is the closest to my play style. However, I really don't care if I lose. My friends can be pretty upset getting destroyed in longer games (at least with 1st edition). I've ended a few games with some cards in my hand that would have surely won me the game but I wanted the heroes to have an really close and exciting victory. (Example, killing Spligg with a throwing dagger at max range, 2 spaces before he escaped with the objective). For me it's a combination of having a good story with really close games. If we run into an rules issue we'll make an exception that fits with the theme and balance as best as possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Robin wrote:
StormKnight wrote:
I also would have added the following : "Descent v.2 sucks, it is desperately broken. FFG are incompetent, a useless band of money greedy amateurs: I will show how much smarter I am. Here are my genius inspired corrections to that terrible game... oh, well, I haven't even opened the box yet, but I am a superior mind."cool

GET OUT OF MY MIND!!! wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Skeletor wrote:
Cry wolf much?

And for Mr Skeletor, you left out the "I don't houserule. I just throw a screaming hissy fit, call the other players names and storm off in a huff if they make the wrong move" option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain BONNEAU
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
Mr Skeletor wrote:
Cry wolf much?

And for Mr Skeletor, you left out the "I don't houserule. I just throw a screaming hissy fit, call the other players names and storm off in a huff if they make the wrong move" option.

"I don't give a shit about your stupid Descent game and its silly cold piss knock-out non-sense. I want perma-death. For players."

--
Buggy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
GET OUT OF MY MIND!!! wow
You cannot. I am the Overlord. You - can - not ! devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Todd
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I went with option 3. The rules are well written (if you aren't a twat), but I house ruled that you can't move diagonally through blocked spaces. I understand why you're supposed to be able to from a boardgame perspective, but from a thematic perspective why are two zombies gonna let you walk between them? (And vise versa, why would two heroes let a zombie walk through them)...Maybe I should add an attack of opportunity...devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R N
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Foolio949 wrote:
Maybe I should add an attack of opportunity...:devil:

that is a dark path...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Wasson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
DAD JOKES
badge
Never trot when you can prance.
mbmbmbmbmb
Foolio949 wrote:
I went with option 3. The rules are well written (if you aren't a twat), but I house ruled that you can't move diagonally through blocked spaces. I understand why you're supposed to be able to from a boardgame perspective, but from a thematic perspective why are two zombies gonna let you walk between them? (And vise versa, why would two heroes let a zombie walk through them)...Maybe I should add an attack of opportunity...devil

Think of it like a cinematic dodge-roll move. Sure they swipe at you or whatever, but you're a hero goddammit.

BOOM! More theme, and you don't have to houserule anything.

Anyway, I do feel like the mega-hippie end of that spectrum is valid but this is the wrong game to play if you want that. If you only/mostly care about the story, why in the hell are you playing Descent instead of Pathfinder or something? I mean, D&D 4e is basically Descent but with one or two more tools for telling a story.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
StormKnight wrote:
Mr Skeletor wrote:
Cry wolf much?

What on earth are you talking about, I post houserules I use for different games all over BGG.
I just don't carry on that modifying the LOS rules makes the game "broken junk" ot that the game has "badly designed rules" because it used "him" instead of "her."

Is their a FFG game you don't piss and moan about? Why do you still buy them?

Also people don't always houserule in order to 'fix' things, lots of houserules I use for various games are just for fun or additional flavor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Todd
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Cosmonaut Zero wrote:
If you only/mostly care about the story, why in the hell are you playing Descent instead of Pathfinder or something? I mean, D&D 4e is basically Descent but with one or two more tools for telling a story.

Actually I don't care about the story at all. Everyone who has had a chance at OL in our group (myself included) has skipped over the fluff because we don't care. We want solid objective based gameplay dripping with theme, which Descent has in spades. Theme doesn't necessarily mean story.

Also I do play pathfinder...with a different group...also I suck at roleplaying...

Oh in case you didn't get it, I was joking about the attack of opportunity But I don't think the tumble move really fits thematically, except for the thief who already has that move...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Wasson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
DAD JOKES
badge
Never trot when you can prance.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh hey sorry. That last paragraph wasn't directed at you specifically, Foolio949. It was meant to express my surprise that anybody's picking the last two. I was unclear there, my bad.

FWIW, I got that the attack of opportunity was a joke, but I still think you can explain that type of movement thematically. The diagonal is a little less tight of a formation than two directly adjacent squares, so I'm imagining ways for different types of heroes to make it through there. A warrior type might use his large build and heavy armor to just charge through, while a roguey hero might tumble. In cinematic fight sequences, positioning is usually very fluid, with characters bounding over opponents or darting through their legs, seizing opportune moments to blast by and regroup or get a better position. If I think of it like that, it makes sense to me.

Now, large creatures squeezing through a corner with two blocked spaces... I got nothing that leaves those spaces blocked once it's through. ^_~

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Foolio949 wrote:
I house ruled that you can't move diagonally through blocked spaces.
I understand the thematic reasons that led you to that house rule.
Now, what would be the impact of that change upon scenarios which were designed with the possibility of diagonal movment through blocked spaces?
It would be at that level that I would hesitate before changing things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.