• [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Both are good, but unless you are in a rush, I'd wait.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene van der Pijll
Netherlands
Den Haag
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless you've already placed an order at DTG, don't count on receiving this game in 11 months.

The queue is long, and moving very slowly at the moment. I placed an order in May, and would be happy to get my games before the end of 2013. (Not that I mind; I have enough games to play in the meantime.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes cum Grano Salis
United States
Finger Lakes
New York
flag msg tools
badge
"It's not hard to design a game that works, the real challenge is making one that people want to play again and again."--Martin Wallace
mbmbmbmbmb
pijll wrote:
Unless you've already placed an order at DTG, don't count on receiving this game in 11 months.

The queue is long, and moving very slowly at the moment. I placed an order in May, and would be happy to get my games before the end of 2013. (Not that I mind; I have enough games to play in the meantime.)

I placed an order in December of 2011, and based on the queue speed and size at the moment, early-to-mid 2013 looks about right for that shipment. I placed a second order about a week ago, and during the 8 months between orders, the queue slightly-more-than-doubled. The secret is out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abn Rgr1978
United States
Portland Area
Oregon
flag msg tools
I believe that you would be better off borrowing and waiting for the DTG v2 unless there was an exceptional price.

Owning both I think I make the following statements.

Chris' games, while state of the art for home publising at the time, do not compare with the quality of DTG.

Version 2 is an improvement but does not dramatically change the game and can be recreated with the original game and components with a little imagination.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
I'll think of something witty to put here...
mbmbmbmbmb
I've recently got the 1st edition (an old gamekit version from 1994), and just finished learning the rules.

What are the main differences? Is the info available somewhere?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The differences primarily consist of a different company roster and a slightly different map. DTG's rulebook lays out the particulars in good order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Tamplin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can download the both sets of rules at http://www.deepthoughtgames.com/games/1841v2/downloads and the v2 rules include a summary of differences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O.Shane Balloun
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
www.cascadecon.games
badge
Cascade Games Convention: Bellingham, Washington's premier tabletop board game playing event
mbmbmbmbmb
I have owned both versions. In fact, about a year after I bought my copy of 1841, I ordered 1841v2 from Deep Thought and experienced roughly a year's lag time to delivery.

I kept the 1841v2 and gave away the 1841 original (even though it was more collectible) because I didn't want to cut out all the pieces in the original. I like that Deep Thought did the hard work for me to make 1841 physically playable and I thought the pieces and maps were very well done indeed. It's a much more beautiful version than 1841 was. It's worth the wait.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.