Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I downloaded the Summoner Wars app, and after a few plays thought "this is pretty cool, maybe I should buy the full version. I'll give it a few more plays to be sure".

Ok, now I've given it a lot more plays, and I'm getting clobbered every time. To try to learns things, I've been just playing one combo; my Phoenix Elves versus the default Guild Dwarves deck.

I assume it's just my lack of strategy, but boy, their stuff seems pretty awesome. My real bane is Gror, the champion with the quake that hits everything in 2 squares. That PITA + a Heroic Feat (+2 attack dice) or two tends to annihilate my summoner very fast.

I've got the range advantage, but it seems hard to maintain, and it's only one square.

I'm starting to think I need to keep equal or lower on units; the Dwarf card to recruit 2 units for free when you start with less units is pretty devastating.

I could really use some advice here - this is going past challenging and into just plain frustrating!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Farmer
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Managing unit count is very important when facing GD. Wall placement is important too in order to keep Gror away. Try to block off one side of the map so they have to tearbdown walls or go the long way around to get to Elien.

Have you tried deck building at all yet? I find the fencers work well against GD. Most of their units have low attack value so the fencer has a decent shot at wounding the attacking unit and at 0 summon cost they are easy to throw in to stall the attack while you build strength and maneuver.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, right after posting that last night I did get my first win, though I felt it was mostly luck.

I managed another one this morning that felt a bit more earned.

I can't do any deckbuilding since I just have the demo version.

I notice I almost never draw walls until the end of the game. Which tends to make it devastating when they pile on their siege cards and destroy my only wall!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, a bunch more plays today (Summoner Wars sure burns up the bus ride to work fast ) and I seem to have figured it out. I wish I could give more tips to other new players. Just several plays to get a grip around the game flow and the cards. And to learn how to select between special abilities and regular attacks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.